Generic small time football blather thread

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fucking hell, cos there isn't enough football on telly with the English, Spanish and Champions League stuff.

Is not watching these matches going to get in the way of you not watching the other matches like?

Here you'll like this. Just listening to Frank Skinner's podcast from the weekend and somebody has been on about how the scorer of a consolation goal in a match likes to run into the goal, bristling with determination, pick the ball up and push the keeper out of the way, running back to the centre circle. Anyway, they've decided that these players should be referred to as "goal-down retrievers".

Now shut your fucking piehole.

I'd associate that more with "goals that reduce the deficit to one" than consolation goals tbh. Also why don't we have a word for "goals that reduce the deficit to one"? German has "Anschlusstreffer", which encapsulates the concept and inadvertently evokes the Nazi era, which: comedy bonus.

I think, a bit like McClaren, if you're just after a coach (which is essentially all the manager's role at NUFC needs to be under Ashley, given the lack of input into transfer dealings) then he'd be a significant upgrade on Pardew.

A lot has been made of the supposed "minimum target of 48 point" and maximum target is "Champions League"

Seems odd to get worked up about it, but whatever.

Average points required for Premier League survival since 2000/01 is 35.6, Europa 61.4, CL 69.4 and the tile is 87.4.

Newcastle's average Premier League point haul since 2001 is 47.25.

We've only got higher than the average points required for Europa/UEFA twice, Hell, we've only got more than 48 points twice if you discount Robson. My point is not that we should be happy with survival, it's just that a 48 point minimum should be enough for a top half finish and that's fine. Champions League would mean we'd most likely have to get another 22points more than our 14yr average. That's nearly half our points from last season again.

A lot has been made of the supposed "minimum target of 48 point" and maximum target is "Champions League"

Seems odd to get worked up about it, but whatever.

Average points required for Premier League survival since 2000/01 is 35.6, Europa 61.4, CL 69.4 and the tile is 87.4.

Newcastle's average Premier League point haul since 2001 is 47.25.

We've only got higher than the average points required for Europa/UEFA twice, Hell, we've only got more than 48 points twice if you discount Robson. My point is not that we should be happy with survival, it's just that a 48 point minimum should be enough for a top half finish and that's fine. Champions League would mean we'd most likely have to get another 22points more than our 14yr average. That's nearly half our points from last season again.

We shouldn't be saying we're setting ourselves a target of 48 points though should we. Safety is a minimum that shouldn't even need to be mentioned. Our target should be winning the league, it doesn't matter that we aren't going to realistically be able to achieve that target. We should aim for the highest posible.

We shouldn't be saying we're setting ourselves a target of 48 points though should we. Safety is a minimum that shouldn't even need to be mentioned. Our target should be winning the league, it doesn't matter that we aren't going to realistically be able to achieve that target. We should aim for the highest posible.

48pts isn't "safety", it's midtable and most probably top half.

Survival might only be about 12 points lower, but that's huge at the bottom where the margins are so narrow between staying up and going down it's insane.

Premier League clubs are to start using the database belonging to the computer game Football Manager to help identify and recruit new signings.

Tony Fernandez:

"I have a special relationship with Remy from playing FIFA with him and I hope to continue playing FIFA 15 with him throughout the season."

"Nothing is ever cast in stone in football, but I am moderately optimistic Remy will be wearing the Hoops' shirt throughout this season.”

Everybody is playing games!