Generic small time football blather thread

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John Charles was never booked or sent off in his entire career (played most of his games as a CB too).

I think Lineker too was never carded.

Billy Wright as well. Different era like but the bloke played 100 times for England when there were no subs and less meaningless friendlies (or games in general for that matter). And he married one of the Beverley Sisters.

John Charles was used more as a forward than a centre-half though, I think. Although given the dirty tricks he would've endured in Italy back then that doesn't make it any less impressive.

Billy Wright as well. Different era like but the bloke played 100 times for England when there were no subs and less meaningless friendlies (or games in general for that matter). And he married one of the Beverley Sisters.

John Charles was used more as a forward than a centre-half though, I think. Although given the dirty tricks he would've endured in Italy back then that doesn't make it any less impressive.

Aye I know him best as a forward for Juve but he definitely played a few games of his career in defence. Probably was a bit harder to be booked in that era given there were no cards for kicking the ball away or taking your shirt off for scoring etc. Fair few crunching tackles were let slide too.

Aye I know him best as a forward for Juve but he definitely played a few games of his career in defence. Probably was a bit harder to be booked in that era given there were no cards for kicking the ball away or taking your shirt off for scoring etc. Fair few crunching tackles were let slide too.

Aye, he could play centre-half too (started off there I think). You said most games though ;) I think basically once he played upfront a few times, he was kept there because of his goalscoring record and only played at centre-half after that in emergencies / when injuries dictated. He goalscoring record is class. Probably Wales' best ever player (certainly him or Giggs anyway) and one of the best the British Isles ever produced. Wales might've won the World Cup in '58 if he'd stayed fit.

And while what you say is right about the era he played in he was noted for being a very fair player (like Billy Wright).

Alreet, MT. :lol:

Definitely a great player, was reading an interesting article a while back about his disciplinary record and his scoring record. Funny how it's only really been Giggs since to have made his mark as one of the greats to come from Britain. You don't get a nickname like Gentle Giant if you go round elbowing people you're right (I'll bet it was tempting though).

Didn't Bobby Charlton have an incredibly low cards-to-games ratio too?

Really hard to think of players in the last 2 decades (Maldini is a very good shout) to have little to no cards over the span of their careers.

Alreet, MT. :lol:

Definitely a great player, was reading an interesting article a while back about his disciplinary record and his scoring record. Funny how it's only really been Giggs since to have made his mark as one of the greats to come from Britain. You don't get a nickname like Gentle Giant if you go round elbowing people you're right (I'll bet it was tempting though).

Didn't Bobby Charlton have an incredibly low cards-to-games ratio too?

Really hard to think of players in the last 2 decades (Maldini is a very good shout) to have little to no cards over the span of their careers.

Rio Ferdinand has quite a good record

Thing is, Hughes would've been a better player if he had a nasty streak.

I'd agree with that. One of those players we never should have sold. He was never the best or worst in any of the backlines he played in for us. He was pretty consistent and knew his limitations. Great pro and all in all a likeable bloke by all accounts. We got fuck all for him and spent years trying to get a better right back.

Aaron Hughes, what a guy

Feel for him, he was a tremendous players.

I really think that if they hadn't been made of glass, Woodgate and King would have been England's defensive partnership.

None of them were better then Ferdinand. I'd also say Terrys better then Woodgate, even though I hate the fucker.

None of them were better then Ferdinand. I'd also say Terrys better then Woodgate, even though I hate the fucker.

Why? What makes you say that?

Why won't anyone give Hoddle a job, he would've got it right at Tottenham, and England were good under him in my view.

Canny pundit like.

Been watching Steve Harper's tour diary video series on NUFCTV and in the latest one he's told a story abut how a stewardess (on the team's flight from Germany to Austria) had to ask Andy Woodman to move as he was in one of the front seats and the plane was unbalanced because he weighs so much

:lol:

Edited by Monroe Transfer

Oh Harps

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20120721/woodys-world-part-three_2281670_2855881

On Friday night we flew to Vienna, where we are based for our final game, against Fenerbahce, and it was an interesting flight here for me.

Before we took off I got approached by the air stewardess, who told me I had to move towards the back of the plane to even the weight of it out!

I mean, seriously, in front of 40 people!?!?! She could have at least whispered it! It killed me, and there are a few bigger fish to fry than me in our party!

But I do think that Steve Harper paid her €30 to get that gag in, so I will be watching him very closely when we fly back to Newcastle...

Looks like Pompey are close to going bust.

They still have Ben Haim on £36k pw in League 1 and Kanu is demanding back pay before he'll leave the club. I know they're only taking the money that they're contractually entitled to but to stand by and watch the club fold in the process is pretty cuntish.

Guest CabayeAye

Looks like Pompey are close to going bust.

They still have Ben Haim on £36k pw in League 1 and Kanu is demanding back pay before he'll leave the club. I know they're only taking the money that they're contractually entitled to but to stand by and watch the club fold in the process is pretty cuntish.

It is cuntish. But not surprising, since most players are grade A cunts.

Been watching Steve Harper's tour diary video series on NUFCTV and in the latest one he's told a story abut how a stewardess (on the team's flight from Germany to Austria) had to ask Andy Woodman to move as he was in one of the front seats and the plane was unbalanced because he weighs so much

:lol:

They should have just put Dan Gosling on the other end to balance it.

Pompey have till 10th August to get some malingerers off their books or its liquidation for them...

Tal Ben Haim, Greg Halford, Erik Huseklepp, Dave Kitson, Liam Lawrence, David Norris and Kanu remain on the club's books.

is it a coincidence that theres 2 ex mackems amongst this bunch of fuckin oxygen theives?..

Saints fans loving it...they got so much shit when they were relegated from Pompey, newley promoted and with seemingly oodles of cash to spend. A lot of Saints fans would say justice has been done, but I hate to see any club go tits up tbh.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18977953

Tal Ben Haim is a right prick - why they ever gave him £35k p/w in the first place is anyone's guess! Kanu too, must be pushing 50 now surely.

He claims he's 35