Generic small time football blather thread

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Real Madrid winger Angel di Maria has been cleared of any wrongdoing by his club after a gesture some interpreted as him grabbing his crotch in reaction to booing from his own fans in Monday's 3-0 win over Celta Vigo.

Di Maria had previously said that no offence was intended and it "was a normal gesture that any man would do, especially when you are running".

Aye dead on!

Manchester United must spend £200m if they are to rebuild their squad to the standard that once made sides visiting Old Trafford feel helpless.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/25665649

All but one of their home losses have come when Van Persie was out injured.

NUFC were the only ones he couldn't make the difference for B)

Decent read here on Athletic Bilbao at True Faith, http://www.true-faith.co.uk/true-faith-real-spain-jan14/.

Followed by this reply;

"Great write up Tony,

I have lived in Bilbao for 2 years now through my work, and I fully ‘get’ the Basque mentality. Wonderful people, great city and as you have said,I always have been made most welcome owing to my being a Newcastle supporter.
Almost every Athletic fan I know, is watching developments carefully regarding our league finish, as with any luck they are determined to make a visit to St James’ Park. For many, it is a trip they have only heard about through local folklore, or from their fathers, such is the level of affection for Newcastle United out here.
It has been said that the reason Athletic fans are so generous with their friendship, is down to the example shown to those visiting Tyneside in 1995, and they were so taken by the hospitality shown, that they are forever trying to better it. Many Newcastle fans can attest to having been treated extremely well and generously whilst here for the return leg.
Quite a staggering admission, and something that the Toon Army can be rightly proud of.
Its a pity I did not know of your visit or I could have shown you some great (and locally famous) bars and sights. I hope the impression that the city left on you will encourage a return visit!"

Unfortunately I didn't get to Bilbao for this game as I was on the Nat King Cole at the time and it's a real regret of mine missing this of all our European trips. After reading it I imagined if this had've been the Mackems who played Bilbao instead and of us? How would they react giving their propensity for trying to get allegiances with other clubs in a wild and desperate bid to be, A. Noticed, and B. Taken seriously. :D

Decent read here on Athletic Bilbao at True Faith, http://www.true-faith.co.uk/true-faith-real-spain-jan14/.

Followed by this reply;

Unfortunately I didn't get to Bilbao for this game as I was on the Nat King Cole at the time and it's a real regret of mine missing this of all our European trips. After reading it I imagined if this had've been the Mackems who played Bilbao instead and of us? How would they react giving their propensity for trying to get allegiances with other clubs in a wild and desperate bid to be, A. Noticed, and B. Taken seriously. :D

Good read. Athletic is the closest I have to a favourite team in Spain.

Edited by hostile_statue

Wiki:

Football was introduced to Bilbao by two distinct groups of players, both with British connections; British steel and shipyard workers and Basque students returning from schools in Britain. In the late 19th century Bilbao was a leading port of an important industrial area with iron mines and shipyards nearby. It was the driving force of the Spanish economy and as a result attracted many migrant workers. Among them were miners from the north-east of England, and shipyard workers from Southampton, Portsmouth and Sunderland. The British workers brought with them (as to so many other parts of the world) the game of football. In the early 1890s these workers came together and formed Bilbao Football Club.

Mackems were part of the founders of Bilbao as a club though.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athletic_Bilbao

Had a look at the wiki page, which confirms the mackem steel workers were involved in the formation , along with Southampton ( which is where they got their kits), Portsmouth .... And North East Miners

:lol:

Shall we claim them too?

Edit; beaten to the punch :doh:

Mackems were part of the founders of Bilbao as a club though.

I'd love that to be true especially considering the respect between large elements of both ours and the Basque clubs support. Mention our club and I'm sure their fans have fond memories, mention Sunderland and they'll probably shrug their shoulders or say 'who?'

Anyway, you won't see Bilbao flags at SJP as we are nowhere near as desperate as they are for recognition.