Generic small time football blather thread

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye he's pretty much an average Premiership player tbh, his set piece taking makes him worth a place above other average players. He has had some canny runs in sides but I still think he needs a defensive winger in front of him (like Jonas) to be properly trusted in defence. Canny bloke mind and I really hope he gets over his injury troubles as I think he is a handy squad player.

i wouldn't mind seeing him given a go in central midfield. he did look canny in the 30 minutes or so he had at the weekend.

Aye, I think that could be a good position for him. I prefer he plays in midfield so that he isn't the last line, as like I said before I think he looked a bit shaky in defence unless he had a defensive winger in front of him. Like you say he could do a job on the right side of a midfield three with instruction to get out wide and put some crosses in as I think he's a canny crosser of the ball.

Aye he's not great but he is definitely a capable squad player.

Aye, I think that could be a good position for him. I prefer he plays in midfield so that he isn't the last line, as like I said before I think he looked a bit shaky in defence unless he had a defensive winger in front of him. Like you say he could do a job on the right side of a midfield three with instruction to get out wide and put some crosses in as I think he's a canny crosser of the ball.

Aye he's not great but he is definitely a capable squad player.

that's pretty much how i see it. he's decent to have in the squad - an average PL player but with the added bonus of being a good crosser of the ball and set piece expert. he looked positionally suspect when he first arrived but he did improve on that score just before he did his knee the first time, to be fair to him.

Overheard a bit of chat in the gym last night about how Alan Shearer only got chosen for England all those years because of anti-Ian Wright/Andy Cole racist bias. I didn't intervene because I'm not Stevie, but I feel the universe owes them some karmic mugrighting.

i thought he did well the year when he played at left back.

He was an utter liability at LB. Can't remember the specifics, but I'm sure part of his LB spell coincided with some dreadful runs of results. I kept banging on about how utter dross he was in possession and his vulnerability against pace.

And to those who reckon he's worth a shot at CM. Did you see his performance against Man City? Their midfield made him look well out of place. Looking decent against a shitty QPR midfield isn't difficult, but try him against an actual midfield and he'll look the player he is. Can strike a FK though.

:lol: Bit harsh on the lad that like, there's more teams closer to QPR's quality in the league then there is teams of Man City's quality so I've no problem him being an option at CM for us (although I think we have plenty there). Also Man City's midfielders make plenty of players that I would rate higher than Taylor "look well out of place" so it's not fair measuring him against a team that is an outlier rather than a norm imo.

I would prefer others to start but I think he has is a fine option to either bring on or fill in for an injured player, he also covers a lot of positions which is handy to have now that Pardew has seemingly marginalized Jonas.

He was an utter liability at LB. Can't remember the specifics, but I'm sure part of his LB spell coincided with some dreadful runs of results. I kept banging on about how utter dross he was in possession and his vulnerability against pace.

And to those who reckon he's worth a shot at CM. Did you see his performance against Man City? Their midfield made him look well out of place. Looking decent against a shitty QPR midfield isn't difficult, but try him against an actual midfield and he'll look the player he is. Can strike a FK though.

Honestly, I think you're letting your gut talk here Beatty.

That Man City game he set up our 1st goal and in his return to first team football, against the champions, at their ground, with 2nd string and kids around him, he was decent.

He's an average Premier League player and probably wouldn't/shouldn't be in a team aiming for Europa, but you seem to be remembering him differently than most? Certainly when you say his stint at left-back was atrocious, when in reality, it wasn't at all.

He had that one game against Chelsea were he was caught out and destroyed for lack of pace. Other than that, he was alright. Might have been an above average player, perhaps in the role he started in against QPR, if not for the injuries.

nah, you're wrong about the left back run. it was the year we ended up in 5th, buzzing with carroll and barton in the side. he looked good for half a season or so, chipped in with goals and assists too then lost his place after getting injured to santon if i remember correctly.

Darren Bent has completed a loan move to Brighton & Hove Albion in a move that will disappoint many Aston Villa fans.

Yesterday we reported the deal was likely to happen and also asked fans whether they would want him in the Villa starting line-up.

80% of Villa fans filling in our poll felt that the former England man should be given a starting role at Villa Park.

The last league goal he scored was for Fulham in a 4-1 loss to Man U in the 13/14 season. The last one for Villa was on the final day of last 12/13 season against Wigan. He's been crocked or shit for ages, why do the Villa "faithful" think he'd make any fucking difference?

Quick thought I've had for some time about how Pardew is guilty of misusing knowledge.

Knowledge: Most goals scored from corners are not scored by the player who first makes contact with the ball.

Misapplication: Pardew develops a corner routine that focuses on getting knockdowns to create these secondary attempts. We scored below, an admittedly already low, average on goals from corners for 2/3 seasons and hardly ever deviate from our flawed tactic. The mistake was in creating the conditions artificially as opposed to the secondary attempts occurring naturally as an indirect result of players attacking the ball. Most of these secondary goals are scored from knockdowns, rebounds, deflections by teams who were actively attacking the corner kick and looking to score directly. By creating a strategy where our players weren't looking to score until the knockdown, the whole game changes. Opposition managers worth their salt identify this and ensure that a defence is carried out accordingly.

Agree/disagree? I have a similar viewpoint about his thoughts on possession. I.e. most goals are conceded from lost transitions, therefore we focus more on defence than ball retention. Might type that up more coherently later.

Not from corners perhaps but dont we try the indirect approach from set pieces a lot over the last couple of years, the dreaded floated ball to Williamson? Never seems to work for us. I dont think we have the players for it.

But yeah its shocking how poor we've been from corners over the last few years. I thought Cabaye's were poor but Colback's are horrendous. Fact Haidara had a shot from a free kick in a good position yesterday also says a lot.