Generic small time football blather thread

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club

:lol: Aye, IIRC he had Matt Taylor, Freddie Ljungberg and Darren Ambrose on the go at the same time. Must've been exhausted.

meanwhile_in_england.jpg

?

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am getting all Angus Deayton here..."in what way was Beckham a good England captain?"

Well, I think he performed well at an international level (once he bore the armband), I think he did drag the rest of the squad up to speed in a few games, I thought he represented his country with dignity (once he bore the armband) and I think he was an important voice on the pitch and in the dressing room.

He may not have been a Tony Adams; screaming and hollering until he terrifies his colleagues into action, but I always thought his captaincy was good.

I always got the impression it was all about "him" though, he came first in everything. Fergie saw it and jettisoned him as soon as he could. Maybe am being harsh, his best mate is Gary Neville who, whatever you think of his opinions,he always comes across as pretty down to earth. Beckham had a seperate hotel to the rest of the squad at a couple of tournaments though iirc, it just smacks of being a jumped up prick who just happens to be a PR genius, helped by apparently being extremely handsome and utterly charming in a very bland way. I do think he was the ultimate triumph of style over substance.

Theres nothing David Beckham could do on a football pitch that Nobby Solano couldnt, they were both very good players and that is what really counts at the end of the day but some people view Beckham (even more when he was England captain) as some fuckin latterday saint. I dont get it.

Edited by PaddockLad

:lol: Aye, IIRC he had Matt Taylor, Freddie Ljungberg and Darren Ambrose on the go at the same time. Must've been exhausted.

:lol: Aye, he got about did Will. Surprised he had time to do anything else.

Jesus, I'd entirely forgotten about that.

Think it's for the best that you did

I always got the impression it was all about "him" though, he came first in everything. Fergie saw it and jettisoned him as soon as he could. Maybe am being harsh, his best mate is Gary Neville who, whatever you think of his opinions,he always comes across as pretty down to earth. Beckham had a seperate hotel to the rest of the squad at a couple of tournaments though iirc, it just smacks of being a jumped up prick who just happens to be a PR genius, helped by apparently being extremely handsome and utterly charming in a very bland way. I do think he was the ultimate triumph of style over substance.

Theres nothing David Beckham could do on a football pitch that Nobby Solano couldnt, they were both very good players and that is what really counts at the end of the day but some people view Beckham (even more when he was England captain) as some fuckin latterday saint. I dont get it.

Same is true of Shearer, and a stack of other great players, to be fair. I don't doubt the cult of Beckham was out of control at some points of his career. But it works both ways; Beckham the player was top class, he produced at the highest level, did it in 3 top leagues and at tournaments, but Beckham the icon will always be Posh Spice's husband, that lad who wore the sarong and the kid who "cost us the World Cup" by getting sent off against Argentina.

Certainly a better Captain than; Owen, Campbell, etc.

He was a good player but was also over-rated. I've always been baffled by fuss made over him and it can't just be down to fucking posh spice.

He was a good player but was also over-rated. I've always been baffled by fuss made over him and it can't just be down to fucking posh spice.

I think he's one of those rare players that are over-rated and under-rated at the same time. He was never truly "World Class", but he was definitely on the next level down.

I think he's one of those rare players that are over-rated and under-rated at the same time. He was never truly "World Class", but he was definitely on the next level down.

:lol:

Mis-rated continental class?

That looks bad. Real bad.

If this puts them under it's no less than they deserve. Everyone and their dog said this would happen when they started panic buying. 'Course, they could just pump more money in I suppose.

I've just been reading about the Neymar transfer and the amounts of money involved are crazy. Not content with playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world, Neymar and his family picked up £43m upfront and another £45m in wages over five years. Absolutely mental.

Shortly after Rosell's departure, his successor Josep Maria Bartomeu, called a news conference to reveal the true cost of signing Neymar was actually £71.5m.

In an unprecedented move, Bartomeu - a close ally and friend of Rosell who was vice president at the time of the signing - went further, explaining exactly where all the money had gone.

There was £33m for the player's father's company N&N, which owned the majority of Neymar's economic rights.

Santos got £14m.

But there was also an £8m signing on fee, a £6m fee for taking an option on future Santos players, £2m in agents fees (also paid to Neymar's father) and a further £2m to Neymar's charitable foundation in Brazil.

The club also revealed that Neymar was being paid £9m a year in wages.

Edited by ewerk