Generic small time football blather thread

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Might watch this on iPlayer later. Lutz Pfannenstiel, goalie who has played in all FIFA's confederations.

The extraordinary life of German goalkeeper Lutz Pfannenstiel

By John BennettBBC World Service Sport

He was locked up in a Singapore prison, he was declared dead on the pitch, he was signed by 25 clubs in 13 countries and he is still the only professional to have played in all six of Fifa's confederations.

Lutz Pfannenstiel's football career is like no other.

Along the way the German keeper, now 38, went from the youth team at Bayern Munich to Brazil, New Zealand, Malaysia, Finland, South Africa, Canada, Albania, Namibia, Armenia and Malta, via Nottingham Forest and the "crazy gang" at Wimbledon.

And he is now travelling the world again as an international scout for Bundesliga club Hoffenheim.

"I had a normal career at the start and I played for the German junior national team but I was always a little impatient," Pfannenstiel told the BBC's World Football programme.

"So when it didn't work my way I decided to go overseas and I left aged 19 to go to Malaysia, which is kind of a strange thing to do when you have a good offer from Bayern and you end up playing for the Penang football association in South East Asia.

"I didn't really plan to play for that many clubs, circumstances went like that. The coach got fired, the club went bankrupt, a thousand things happened in my career which were not so nice."

The worst moment came during a spell in Singapore when he was accused of match fixing and spent 101 days in jail.

"I don't think there are very many tougher prisons in the world. I was living it large in Singapore, I was modelling for Armani, I had my own TV show and football was good but then suddenly I woke up in a tiny concrete cell and everything was in shambles for me. So the shock was the biggest.

"The area where I played - South East Asia - is basically the capital of match fixing. In my case it was strange because I was actually accused of playing too well. Two games we won and one game was a draw where I was man of the match. If a judge in court tells you you've played better than you normally do it's not really logical.

"In the end I got out of it, the evidence was basically cleared as no money changed hands.

"I came out of that after 101 days and became a better person. It was the toughest time in my life but also the time when I learnt the most."

Not long after fighting to clear his name, Pfannenstiel was battling for his life after his heart stopped beating during a match in England.

"I was on loan from a club in New Zealand to Bradford Park Avenue, it was a normal Boxing Day and I had a collision after 30 minutes.

"Basically my lungs collapsed, I had no pulse anymore, then I was declared three-times dead on the football field.

"But I woke up in hospital three hours later."

And his first spell in English football was equally eventful. Back in 1994 he was signed by Wimbledon and experienced the full force of Vinnie Jones and the "crazy gang".

"Two or three days after I arrived we went for a run in a park and suddenly someone gave some command, they grabbed me and got me undressed so I was completely naked in November in the freezing cold," he said. "They took all my clothes and my shoes and just left.

"I was lying in a ditch and wasn't sure what to do, then I had to run for three miles back with nothing on in front of loads of ladies walking their dogs.

"It's funny now but it wasn't funny at the time."

Pfannenstiel's coaching career

• Cuba national team goalkeeping coach
  • Manglerud Star (Norway) goalkeeping coach
  • Ramblers FC (Namibia) head coach, technical director and goalkeeping coach
  • Namibia national team goalkeeping coach

His playing days may be over but Pfannenstiel's passion for environmental issues is now taking his career into even more unpredictable directions.

"In February, for five nights and five days I was locked in an igloo in a German ski resort and everything I did was streamed live on the internet like a mini Big Brother.

"Next year I will be in the Amazon and will live in the treetops for a week.

"Once a year I will do one of these shocking actions to raise awareness about climate change."

Some of the biggest names in football are supporting his cause.

"I want to use football as an engine to fight against global warming. I believe the role model of footballers is still very big worldwide. If somebody can get into the heads of the youth or the normal man in the street then it's the football players.

"I have over 400 players now who are members of Global United Football Club, the likes of Pavel Nedved, Zinedine Zidane, George Weah and Lothar Matthäus."

So even after hanging up his gloves the man known as the "global goalie" continues to be one of the most unpredictable and eccentric personalities in football.

You can hear the full interview with Lutz Pfannenstiel on this week's World Football on BBC World Service. It is available on the BBC iPlayer.

I overheard two West Ham fans on the train last night who agreed they would be okay with staying down if it meant getting rid of him.

:lol:

it's the same old story

And exactly the same thing fans of clubs like West Ham and Blackburn laughed at us over when we had the parasite at our club. Hope they stick with him and allow him to keep churning out the draws while referring to himself in the 3rd person and telling them it's "not a big ask" for a manager like him to take teams like Barca and Madrid to a treble every season for at least another season. He might actually have to work for a pay cheque for once.

5 Live had a debate this morning around the question "has Mario Balotelli cost City the title this season" . Can't lay it all at his feet mind . [One caller had a pop at Hart (?) ]

I think he'll be away in the summer personally . Strange behaviour, even by his standards recently . He's going to struggle under n.e. other manager unless he has a word with himself though .

5 Live had a debate this morning around the question "has Mario Balotelli cost City the title this season" . Can't lay it all at his feet mind .

media have made up their mind that he is the scapegoat

5 Live had a debate this morning around the question "has Mario Balotelli cost City the title this season" . Can't lay it all at his feet mind .

Fault lies with Mancini. The players he has had available to him this season shouldn't have given up so easy and so early and that's only down to a lack of management. Aguero, Silva, Y.Toure started the season like titans and yet now their performances have been entirely pedestrian.

For all his faults Ferguson (and the senior players) has the mentality to win a title. Mourinho had it too. Mancini has let Balotelli, Tevez and other managers dictate his season. Ferguson wouldn't have, and hasn't.

Fault lies with Mancini. The players he has had available to him this season shouldn't have given up so easy and so early and that's only down to a lack of management. Aguero, Silva, Y.Toure started the season like titans and yet now their performances have been entirely pedestrian.

For all his faults Ferguson (and the senior players) has the mentality to win a title. Mourinho had it too. Mancini has let Balotelli, Tevez and other managers dictate his season. Ferguson wouldn't have, and hasn't.

Aye, the tail's wagging the dog . Someone made a comparison with Cantona and how AF was uncharacteristically lenient towards him . Mancini's basically let Mario set his fireworks off within his anus and won't (and shouldn't) get as lucky with whoever's turn it is to babysit him next .

Whatever his fate at the end of the season I wonder where Mancini's frustrations - and anger assumedly - will lie ? With himself for not having 'it' over his players , or at his players for having no balls for the job .

Silva has been shit for months, Nasri as well, aguero partly too and dont get me started on dzeko. That combined with none of their strikers properly firing on all cylinders cost them the title.

Is this Mancini`s fault? Perhaps not but he is responsible for how his players perform, its how the hierarchy of blame works. If co-workers fail to perform its ultimately the boss`s responsibility, none more so than in fotball.

Failure to motivate perhaps? Or just a bunch of non-caring mercenaries going off boil.. there are many theories who could all be equally valid.

Monday, April 9, 2012

TV funnyman Alan Davies is set to provoke a storm of protest for a foul-mouthed rant criticising Liverpool Football Club's refusal to play on the anniversary of the Hillsborough Disaster.

The Jonathan Creek and QI star made his shocking outburst during the latest edition of his popular podcast for Arsenal fans <a href="http://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-tuesday-club/id415582576">'The Tuesday Club'.

The 46-year-old -- who once hit the headlines for biting a homeless man's ear in a drunken attack outside a swanky London club -- was discussing the dates of the forthcoming FA Cup semi-finals at Wembley. alan%2Bdavies.jpg

Liverpool's clash with Merseyside rivals, Everton, takes place on Saturday, April 14th. Tottenham take on Chelsea the following day -- the 23rd anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster.

Liverpool refuse to play on April 15th as a show of respect for the ninety-six football fans who died in a crush at an FA Cup Semi Final at the stadium in Sheffield on that date in 1989.

But Davies seemed to care more about the fact that Liverpool's stance meant Chelsea were having to play their FA Cup tie only three days before their Champions League last-four clash with Barcelona.

He ranted: "Liverpool and the 15th -- that gets on my tits that shit. What are you talking about, 'We won't play on the day'. Why can't they?"

Laughing nervously, one of his co-presenters, Ian Stone, tried to point out why Liverpool FC don't take a business-as-usual approach to the most painful day in the club's history, saying: "Because it's too sad a memory."

But that simple and obvious explanation failed to deter Davies, who was on a roll.

He said: "Do they play on the date of the Heysel Stadium disaster? How many dates do they not play on? Do Man United play on the date of Munich? Do Rangers play on the date when all their fans died in that disaster whatever year that was - 1971?"hills.jpg

Davies - who trades off his cuddly TV image - continued in his attack by savaging the Liverpool legend and manager Kenny Dalglish, who has defended the decision not to play on April 15th.

Davies raved: "Every interview he's given this season he looks like he wants to head-butt the interviewer. This tight-mouthed, furious, frowning, leaning-forward, bitter Glaswegian ranting, 'Liverpool FC do not play on April 15th'."

After beginning a poor impersonation of Dalglish, Davies broke off to say his attempt to mimic the Scotsman's accent was "terrible because I hate him".

Despite his fury on behalf of Chelsea - the last English club remaining in a European competition - Davies went on to admit he would think it was "awful" if they went on to win the Champions League.

Davies then aimed his sights at Tottenham Hotspur -- bitter city rivals of his beloved Arsenal. He claimed Spurs had refused to move a fixture back in 1980, two days before the Gunners were due to play a semi-final against the Italian club Juventus in the Cup Winners' Cup.

In another display of breathtaking insensitivity, Davies fired a scathing salvo at White Hart Lane bosses using a term the Nazis labelled Jews with in their vile propaganda. Tottenham chairman, Daniel Levy, is Jewish and the club has a strong Jewish following among its supporters.

He said: "What vermin run that club. They always have. Absolute vermin. Scum of the Earth."

Davies then began singing: "You burn your own town," a crass reference to the summer riots that devastated parts of Tottenham in north London.

During the podcast, Davies also made fun of the Arsenal striker and Moroccan international Marouane Chamakh who was recently pictured smoking a shisha pipe. He joked Chamakh was "stoned out of his box" and was Arsenal's "club dealer" peddling hashish to the rest of the squad from a "Range Rover with blacked out windows".

He also made potentially libellous remarks about Oliver Holt - The Daily Mirror's Chief Sportswriter. Insisting on referring to him as "Oliver Horseshit", he called the award-winning journalist a "dickhead", suggesting he had an issue with drink. "You can smell the alcohol in his tweets!" he laughed.

One listener to the podcast said: "I couldn't believe my ears. Alan Davies comes across as such a nice bloke on the telly but he sounded like a lout in this broadcast.

"He should apologise immediately to the relatives of the Hillsborough Disaster -- his comments were appalling. I can't believe they let him broadcast this rubbish."

Edited by Sonatine