Clubs

Southern Geordie

Are clubs good?  

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good going, well done. Up here?

5527[/snapback]

Yep, just as well I got it as I'd already paid up my ST.

I'll be working all over the region I'm told, but the offices are on Grey St.

(apologies for hijacking the thread, btw)

I'm too tall.  Nowt worse than being in a sea of people of around 5 ft 10 and being a head taller than all of them trying to look inconspicuous.  :D

5450[/snapback]

You reckon its bad, now try being me!

Finally someone else has backed up my reason for not dancing.

Pubs nowadays, but only because I've turned into a tight miserable old bastid. I agree with Bridget about WHQ, the only club I'd probably still go into. Good music, no trouble (not really anyway), cheapish drinks.

I mean, £7 to get into a club ffs. £7! I don't think you should pay to get into a club, how many of us have paid a £4-£5 to get into a club and left because it's shit or a friend has been too pissed etc.

How anyone can enjoy paying £7 on the door, £3 odd for a drink, then having Westlife blasted out for 3 hours is beyond me.

My late night clubbing days are more or less over. It's fun at Uni, in my first year places were cheap and the music inoffensive. In my 2nd year RnB 'happened' and every bastard place played it. As it makes me want to stab people's eyes out, I stayed in a lot more then. Last year things seemed to settle down a bit and you happily go out for a night of drinking and cheesy music. All a bit of fun.

Now I'm supposedly off to become a respected professional I can see me sticking to pubs and bars. I prefer being in a place where you can converse reasonably well. Bars with a bit of funky or progressive house playing at a moderate level get an extra star.

Some clubs are excusable. But you need the right mix of clientele, price, venue and music- a pretty fine balance and everyone has a different ideal.

5490[/snapback]

Where did you get your job, Matt?

I'm a fan of late night bars like the Head of Steam, Telegraph, Forth which aren't dull, you can have a good chat and the music is to my liking. The only place I go clubbing on a weekend is WHQ, I really enjoy the music, it's got a good atmosphere and the drinks are cheap. I do like to dance when I'm out with my female friends too, so it's perfect. Club-wise, I wouldn't just go anywhere, I'd sooner stay in the pub if the only option was somewhere in the Bigg Market or on the Quayside. I'm a fan of some of the midweek indie nights in town because of the music, but not really as practical anymore these days with work.

5506[/snapback]

This is very true, during the first couple of years at university we went clubbing 2 or 3 times every week, then it just became a pain in the arse, nee craic unless everyone is considerable pissed then its bit of a laugh but otherwise its just pants. WHQ is alright but have pissed me off the last couple of times I've headed there with their door policy. Some nights are canny in different places - used to enjoy Stonelove at Foundation, for example, or some nights at Stereo

Bars with a bit of funky or progressive house playing at a moderate level get an extra star.

Completely correct. :D

I don't mind clubbing sometimes for a little bit of cheese, it's what most of my friends like though I prefer pubs/bars. Hate having to pay stupid prices to get in though.

I don't mind nights like Bulletproof, Stonelove etc. though can't really be bothered with those anymore either.

trouble is that most of our opinions of clubs are coloured by the paucity of varriety in Newcastle. The majority of clubs in the town suck, mostly cheesy chart pap. Stonelove is good but a novelty rather than a mainstay of the clubbing scene in Newcastle..

in Newcastle, my night will start in the local, taxi to town.. Start at Bar 55, wander towards the Central station popping into every pretentious bar on the way to the Lounge finish off the night upstairs in the Lounge chatting and drinking until 1-ish, then back to a mates house to crash or burn.

in Leeds, drinks at a mates flat until 9ish then bus/walk into town, straight to whichever club we're going to tonight, dance and drink until we're tired or bored, then go to a late license bar until we drop, back home few drinks and a pizza.

I can dance, I enjoy dancing and I'm not gay... the people who think that blokes dancing are gay are the ones who can't dance and are embarrassed about it. Girls are attracted to confidence(as long as it's not arrogance "I love me who do you love?") a bloke who looks like he having fun and isn't too bothered about others opinion will be more attractive. Also Dancing is sometimes the best way to flirt with a girl. You can be suggestive and if you're able to read body language at all you can quickly come to understand her intentions, does she just fancy a laugh and a dance or does she fancy you? This is more important if the girl is a random that caught your eye in the club, instead of a girl you already know.. if you already know her it's better to actually talk to her.

unfortunately the best music to "dance" to is RnB or funky house :D:

I've never had a shite night in the pub, each time it's a laugh and never a waste of time. I've had boring ass tiresome nights in a club, but also absolutely BLINDING nights in the club.

so to answer the Poll, clubbing is good, but clubbing in Newcastle is shit. If you're out for laughs and a guaranteed good night, go to the pub and talk crap with your pals, if you want the possibility of a great night clubbing is the place for you.

Cannit whack a nice dingy jungle or techno club IMO, not that I indulge much these days. Like a nice night down the boozer too and fortunately a fair few in the toon have late licences these days.

Clubbing is class when your pissed. However, unless Im rat arsed it all seems a bit crap.

Theres a couple of places open til 3 in Sunderland, so we usually just stay in the bars til they shut at 1, then go clubbing.

5918[/snapback]

By 1AM I take it Mark has cleared the bars out with his cheesey chat up lines? :D

Clubbing is class when your pissed. However, unless Im rat arsed it all seems a bit crap.

Theres a couple of places open til 3 in Sunderland, so we usually just stay in the bars til they shut at 1, then go clubbing.

5918[/snapback]

By 1AM I take it Mark has cleared the bars out with his cheesey chat up lines? ;)

5960[/snapback]

Did it hurt?

When you fell from heaven?

I detest night clubs, and thats not cos of my age, i've never really liked them. Very over-rated in my view. You have to queue for ages then are charged a ridiculous fee to get in. Packed full of sweaty drunken letchy men, plus you have to queue for ages to get a very overpriced drink ;) Crap music aswell!!!

Give me a good pub with a pool table, which serves good food, sat with friends listening to a live band anyday!

Don't dance, don't get birds - fact. Met wor lass 1995, haven't danced since, other than in the house by myself

Haven't been clubbing for a while, closest i get nowadays is Brighton Beach once a month, good night out! ;)

when i first went clubbing about i thought it was great, was a few years ago like

yeah it was a couple of quid in and the drinks were more expensive than pubs

now however, your paying close to £10 in to most places and £3.50 + for a drink they are just taking the piss and resent paying it

I much prefer pubs to clubs. I don't mind going to clubs sometimes when it's a rock n roll or indie night (the likes of Bulletproof/Stone Love etc) every now and then, but the rest of it, it's either dance music, 'urban' or R&B and it's just not my thing at all.

Give me a pub with a decent jukebox or a quiz night or the Football on, or going to a live gig over clubbing anytime.

Used to love them, can't be bothered now. Much rather a pub with friends- the meat market lost it's appeal when I grew up some.

There used to be canny club in Tynemouth called Surfers which I went to most weekends. However, that burnt down 10 years ago with the plaza....

The last club I went to was about two years ago. A horrible experience, and I must have spent close to £100 for the privelege. Never again, pubs and gigs for me.

Used to love them, can't be bothered now. Much rather a pub with friends- the meat market lost it's appeal when I grew up some.

7644[/snapback]

when you grew up some what ?

7648[/snapback]

Too right. ;)

5918[/snapback]

By 1AM I take it Mark has cleared the bars out with his cheesey chat up lines? ;)

5960[/snapback]

Did it hurt?

When you fell from heaven?

7534[/snapback]

And just for the record he has used that line before and no, it didn't work B)

I best leave this subject well alone before Mark points out that i've never been clubbing before. From what I have heard though I gather...

-They play shite music

-They charge ridiculous amounts of money for entry and drink

-They're full of Charv's

-They're a sure fire way to give yourself a headache

Still, i'd rather try before I make any real decisions though.

Student night is cheap as out. £3 quid max to get in, and its usually 2 quid for a drink.

Went to Beach in sunderland last night. Music was shit, although some classics like livin on a prayer came on. 50p a shot of sambuca, although some lass did collapse and it looked canny bad like.

Student night is cheap as out. £3 quid max to get in, and its usually 2 quid for a drink.

Went to Beach in sunderland last night. Music was shit, although some classics like livin on a prayer came on . 50p a shot of sambuca, although some lass did collapse and it looked canny bad like.

7963[/snapback]

;)

Went to Beach in sunderland last night. Music was shit, although some classics like livin on a prayer came on . 50p a shot of sambuca, although some lass did collapse and it looked canny bad like.

7963[/snapback]

;)

7964[/snapback]

B) Nah it's a class song when your pissed though. Pretty average when your not.