Will 40 points be enough?

Monroe Transfer

Jesus wept, calm down.

I wasn't saying that I think we're not safe. In answer to the question I posed when I posted this thread, I was saying that 40 points might not be enough, for us, or any team for that matter.

There is no chance of us remaining on 40 points anyway. I can see the clubs below us getting close to the 40 point barrier too but we'll definitely pick up points between now and the end of the season so it almost certainly won't matter.

Edited by Tecato

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It might be feasible that 40 isnt enough this year. Hopefully a 1 more win will do it.

This. I reckon we'll get at least 2 draws out of the remaining games so we might not even need a win.

Win against Blackpool, Birmingham and WBA and losses against Liverpool and Chelsea.

With 5 games left and the number of inter-shite games it is feasible for 4 or 5 teams to get another 6 or 7 points - unlikely but feasible. The final day could see a 3 from 7 or 8 scenario.

I think we'll either beat Blackpool or Brum and be fine.

well we hit 40 points against man utd so i think were safe if we can get 3 points against blackburn and possibily blackpool then i happy couldnt care less about the other matches

well we hit 40 points against man utd so i think were safe if we can get 3 points against blackburn and possibily blackpool then i happy couldnt care less about the other matches

This a secret game like?

Effectively we have 41 points, as our goal difference is far better than any of all teams below us.

Exactly.

We're safe. With only five games left Blackpool aren't two wins & two draws, or three wins better than us. We're safe.

Effectively we have 41 points, as our goal difference is far better than any of all teams below us.

Exactly.

We're safe. With only five games left Blackpool aren't two wins & two draws, or three wins better than us. We're safe.

Yes. They probably won't even get 8 points from their remaining games.

What concerns me a little is that if we lose to Blackpool this weekend there are potentially 5 teams who could leapfrog us if they all win, and that would drop us way down the table.

Bit of a stretch I know, but it could happen based on some of the mind-blowing results we have seen happen this season, and I don't mean our results.

I know that if ifs and ands were pots and pans, there'd be no need for tinkers but those two away results at Everton and Arsenal are the difference between us and about 5 or 6 sides beneath us. We've all lost a similar number of games at home, its the away form that has pushed us to the top of the pack we are in.

Funnily enough Blackpool have the next best away record after us in the bottom 12.

Edited by ChezGiven

Funny old season. We've managed to win as many away games as Man Utd but we've only scored 12 goals in doing so (joint lowest tally in the whole division). Also, even more bizarrely, only Man Utd have scored more at home yet we've only won 5 matches at SJP in the league.

Edited by alex

The question should be, 'will 40 points be enough next season?' Given that the wins at Arsenal and Everton--the only difference between our survival and relegation this season--came through our top quality players, namely Andy Carroll and Ben Arfa, and given that one has now been sold and the other crippled, never to be the same again (he is now essentially Emre), then the only reasonable conclusion to the query can be yes, 40 points will be enough next season, but we will not attain anywhere near that number of points because we are essentially doomed as a foootball club. Be that as it may, I feel we may cling on to PL status this season. I consider myself highly optimistic in my assessment of our plight.

Edited by Kevin S. Assilleekunt

I know that if ifs and ands were pots and pans, there'd be no need for tinkers but those two away results at Everton and Arsenal are the difference between us and about 5 or 6 sides beneath us. We've all lost a similar number of games at home, its the away form that has pushed us to the top of the pack we are in.

Can't forget that if the Sunderland away and Spurs home fixtures had ended on 90 minutes, we'd be on 44 points now. 3 off Everton, 5 off Liverpool in 5th.

Looking forward to just ending the season and forgetting about those 2 games. The fact that we managed to draw them both in the space of a single week or so is what annoyed me most.

our top quality players, namely Andy Carroll and Ben Arfa, and given that one has now been sold and the other crippled, never to be the same again

Is that true though? Isn't it possible he can come back fully recovered? And although I accept it's a fucking long shot, isn't is possible we might buy a top quality striker this summer (i.e not Carlton fucking Cole)?

Funnily enough Blackpool have the next best away record after us in the bottom 12.

exactly. Will we repeat 2 unlikely results like that next season ? Unlikely. As we don't have, and probably won't bring in, the quality attacking players you need to get good home results, next season could be a looooonng and dismal one.

I think what some people are forgetting aswell is our first team is not going to be fit for 38+ games of next season and we NEED players who are able to go straight into the first team, when players arent fit, suspended or out of form, we don't need back-up players who can plug in gaps we need players to challenge the first team, and quality ones at that

I think what some people are forgetting aswell is our first team is not going to be fit for 38+ games of next season and we NEED players who are able to go straight into the first team, when players arent fit, suspended or out of form, we don't need back-up players who can plug in gaps we need players to challenge the first team, and quality ones at that

and CHEAP 'n aalll of course