Craig

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see Red Bull were issuing team orders to keep Webber in his place -

And??

Team orders are no longer illegal you know? :D

I'm no real fan admittedly, but caught bit on news when one of the riders' wheel came off after a pit stop and cut to a mechanic sorowfully picking up the wheel nut he'd forgotten to put on.

I had to laugh like.

On a serious note, what kind of cost/loss to his team would that have been, what with him pulling out of the race due to this 'oops' oversight ?

I'm no real fan admittedly, but caught bit on news when one of the riders' wheel came off after a pit stop and cut to a mechanic sorowfully picking up the wheel nut he'd forgotten to put on.

I had to laugh like.

On a serious note, what kind of cost/loss to his team would that have been, what with him pulling out of the race due to this 'oops' oversight ?

Aye that was Jenson Button. Has happened in the past too.

Would have been more costly if he'd not pulled up tbh. Couple of years ago Renault allowed Alonso out of the pit with a badly attached wheel and he tried to get around the track and back in again. The wheel came off halfway round the lap and Renault ended up with a massive fine as a result.

One of them things unfortunately.

I had to laugh like.

Would have been more costly if he'd not pulled up tbh. Couple of years ago Renault allowed Alonso out of the pit with a badly attached wheel and he tried to get around the track and back in again. The wheel came off halfway round the lap and Renault ended up with a massive fine as a result.

mclaren had a 5000 euros fine for that mishap yestarday. and sauber had 20.000 for a dangerous release in the pits.

I had to laugh like.

My memory recalls Mansell's wheel coming off at high speed once. Australia?? Or was that when the fuel ran out?? Probably wrong somewhere, no doubt.

I had to laugh like.

My memory recalls Mansell's wheel coming off at high speed once. Australia?? Or was that when the fuel ran out?? Probably wrong somewhere, no doubt.

Was a puncture wasn't it? Cost the dour bastard the world title iirc.

I had to laugh like.

Yip. High speed blow out. Cheers.

I'm sure his fuel ran out somewhere anarl.

I had to laugh like.

Ran out of fuel during his lap of honour when he won the British GP (showed footage of it on the BBC on Saturday).

I had to laugh like.

Ran out of fuel during his lap of honour when he won the British GP (showed footage of it on the BBC on Saturday).

Aha! Age. Memory. Thanks David :rolleyes::D

All the things you touch on happened to our Nige Snakey.

Ran out of fuel in Dallas '84 - tried to push the car over the line himself but collapsed from heat exhaustion whilst doing so:

Tyre famously exploded in Adelaide which cost him the driver's title. Went into the race leading the championship from team-mate Piquet and Prost a distant 3rd. When Mansell's tyre went, Williams hauled in Piquet for a new set handing the lead (and the title to Prost):

Wheel nut fell off when driving for Williams in Portugal in 1991. He stopped halfway down the pitlane and crazily the mechanics charged down after him and fitted a new wheel where he'd come to rest. Not surprisingly he got black-flagged and disqualified.

Disqualification seemed to haunt him in Portugal. Two years previously he'd missed his pit bay so reversed back into it. Totally against the rules so not surprisingly out came the black flag. Mansell claimed he never saw it so didn't come in. Senna decided to do the stewards job for them and took the pair of them out of the race anyway:

McLaren have "full confidence" in Whitmarsh

Martin Whitmarsh has admitted that McLaren's current situation has raised questions about his future at the helm of the British team.

McLaren was the most notably affected by the exhaust blowing clampdown at Silverstone, where on Sunday Jenson Button retired with a loose wheel before Lewis Hamilton had to slow down because his sister car was running out of fuel.

They were the latest in a series of mistakes for one of the most successful and best funded teams, whilst former boss and perfectionist Ron Dennis has been lifting his profile at several grands prix recently.

"I am confident that I will stay in my job," Whitmarsh said late on Sunday.

"I answer to the board, not just Ron, and they seem happy with the job I'm doing -- for now, anyway."

He admitted however that his relationship with Dennis, McLaren's executive chairman and shareholder who stepped down as team boss in the wake of the hugely damaging spygate saga, is "interesting".

"We have ups and downs but I think our relationship is strong at the moment. I am firm about where I draw the line in terms of what my responsibilities are and what his are with regard to the F1 team," he said.

Source: http://www.motorsport.com/#/F1/article/?id=408234

When the need to tell you that... It' means that they don't.

Ron's been at the GPs quite a bit recently... and the design of the MP4-12C is of course finished now. Wonder if he's got itchy fingers?

Is the MP4-12C next year's car or something? I doubt it would ever happen, but the return of Newey would really boost McLaren's performance. Or search every university, manufacturer etc. for the next design genius.

Is the MP4-12C next year's car or something? I doubt it would ever happen, but the return of Newey would really boost McLaren's performance. Or search every university, manufacturer etc. for the next design genius.

the mp4-12c is the new road going car mclaren have been making was a feature of it on top gear the other night was second fastest around top gear track behind the aerial atom which is basically a go-kart

All the things you touch on happened to our Nige Snakey.

Ran out of fuel in Dallas '84 - tried to push the car over the line himself but collapsed from heat exhaustion whilst doing so:

Tyre famously exploded in Adelaide which cost him the driver's title. Went into the race leading the championship from team-mate Piquet and Prost a distant 3rd. When Mansell's tyre went, Williams hauled in Piquet for a new set handing the lead (and the title to Prost):

Wheel nut fell off when driving for Williams in Portugal in 1991. He stopped halfway down the pitlane and crazily the mechanics charged down after him and fitted a new wheel where he'd come to rest. Not surprisingly he got black-flagged and disqualified.

Disqualification seemed to haunt him in Portugal. Two years previously he'd missed his pit bay so reversed back into it. Totally against the rules so not surprisingly out came the black flag. Mansell claimed he never saw it so didn't come in. Senna decided to do the stewards job for them and took the pair of them out of the race anyway:

Magic, Craig :D :D Thanks :rolleyes::D

No problems Snakey.... looking back at it now, what the hell were Williams thinking of working on the car in the pitlane? I remember watching at the time and being absolutely livid that they DQ'd him! :rolleyes:

Oh right, it's an equivilent of the McLaren F1 car from the early 90's. Not a very catchy name though.

Pretty much yeah. Made me laugh how much knocking pro-Ferrari Clarkson gave it. He's having a go about the precision of it but that's what McLaren are (and always have been) about. If you want something racous and raw, go with the Ferrari. If you want something designed and built to perfection then the McLaren is for you.

I stand to be corrected but I'm pretty sure that Ferrari & McLaren are the only two car manufacturers who have been born out of a racing team rather than the other way around.

The name MP4-12C does have meaning. Since 1981, all McLaren F1 cars have always had the chassis designation 'MP4'. It used to stand for Marlboro Project 4 when they were the title sponsor but since 1997 its stood for McLaren Project 4. Project 4 was Ron Dennis' organisation which merged with the original McLaren team in 1981.

The '12' refers to McLaren's internal Vehicle Performance Index through which it rates key performance criteria both for competitors and for its own cars. The criteria combine power, weight, emissions, and aerodynamic efficiency. The coalition of all these values delivers an overall performance index that has been used as a benchmark throughout the car's development.

The 'C' refers to Carbon, highlighting the unique application of carbon fibre technology to the future range of McLaren sports cars.

I stand to be corrected but I'm pretty sure that Ferrari & McLaren are the only two car manufacturers who have been born out of a racing team rather than the other way around.

Lotus & Maserati.

Oh right, it's an equivilent of the McLaren F1 car from the early 90's. Not a very catchy name though.

Pretty much yeah. Made me laugh how much knocking pro-Ferrari Clarkson gave it. He's having a go about the precision of it but that's what McLaren are (and always have been) about. If you want something racous and raw, go with the Ferrari. If you want something designed and built to perfection then the McLaren is for you.

The name MP4-12C does have meaning. Since 1981, all McLaren F1 cars have always had the chassis designation 'MP4'. It used to stand for Marlboro Project 4 when they were the title sponsor but since 1997 its stood for McLaren Project 4. Project 4 was Ron Dennis' organisation which merged with the original McLaren team in 1981.

The '12' refers to McLaren's internal Vehicle Performance Index through which it rates key performance criteria both for competitors and for its own cars. The criteria combine power, weight, emissions, and aerodynamic efficiency. The coalition of all these values delivers an overall performance index that has been used as a benchmark throughout the car's development.

The 'C' refers to Carbon, highlighting the unique application of carbon fibre technology to the future range of McLaren sports cars.

MP4-12c is not a equivalant car to the the old F1 road car, that will be the next car due in 2013-14 and will cost upwards off 500K, this car was has been developed purely to compete with the 458 italia.

The next car is designedto replace the F1 road and take the land speed record back.

Lotus & Maserati.

You're right about Maserati but not about Lotus. Lotus Engineering was founded in 1952. Team Lotus was created 2 years later.

MP4-12c is not a equivalant car to the the old F1 road car, that will be the next car due in 2013-14 and will cost upwards off 500K, this car was has been developed purely to compete with the 458 italia.

The next car is designedto replace the F1 road and take the land speed record back.

When I said equivalent, I meant in terms of a production road car coming out of their stables. Last one of course was the F1. You're right though in saying it's not on the same scale as the F1 but then I believe McLaren's primary remit for this model was to make it more affordable.

When I said equivalent, I meant in terms of a production road car coming out of their stables. Last one of course was the F1. You're right though in saying it's not on the same scale as the F1 but then I believe McLaren's primary remit for this model was to make it more affordable.

I believe McLaren's primary remit for this model was to make it more affordable, Nope it was purely built to make money to help support the F1 Team and to take Ferrari head on.

Over the next years or so there will be at least 5 models roling out of the technology centre

, the last one is going head to head with the 911 and will be cheaper than the MP4 12C at around 60K

The MP4-12c is a fantastic car and Clarkson did it a dis-service on top gear, the stocking that is the Ferrari has got a terrible mortality rate currently running at around 60% of all cars built either burst into flames or get crashed because the owners cannot drive them.