The F1 2011 thread

Craig

is there anywhere on the web we can watch the testing? must be screened somewhere.

Dunno. Autosport have got a live text commentary page going, but its canny boring and you'd have to very dedicated (or sad) to sit and watch it for any length of time:

http://live.autosport.com/commentary.php/id/306

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is there anywhere on the web we can watch the testing? must be screened somewhere.

Dunno. Autosport have got a live text commentary page going, but its canny boring and you'd have to very dedicated (or sad) to sit and watch it for any length of time:

http://live.autosport.com/commentary.php/id/306

great im sad and boring right up my street ;)

it isnt the most exciting of things but good to go back to every ten minutes see whats been happening if anything.

did just notice ferrari have had to rename the car f-150th because ford make the f-150

Do us all a favour and step out of the thread Rob, there's a good old chap ;)

Back to business, I had a feeling that Renault may have stolen McLaren's thunder with the forward facing exhausts. Seems my hunch may well have been right.

Makes their launch even more clever seeing as the back of the car was exposed but showed a traditional exhaust system - interesting ploy.

McLaren was testing a Renault-like forward-exiting exhaust concept on its newly launched MP4-26 car at Jerez on Thursday.

The car debuted by Lewis Hamilton at the Spanish circuit therefore differed fundamentally from the version launched in Berlin recently, according to Germany's Auto Motor und Sport.

There had been speculation that the 2011 McLaren was set to race with an unique exhaust layout this season, after Robert Kubica drove the similarly innovative Renault R31 to the fastest time in Valencia last week before injuring himself in a rally crash.

Auto Motor und Sport's Jerez correspondent said McLaren's rear-exiting conventional exhaust layout had mysteriously vanished when Hamilton exited the pits at Jerez on Thursday morning.

Instead, the exhausts are now exiting at the front of the sidepods, with the innovation only spotted by reporters when mechanics had to pause on one occasion whilst pushing Hamilton back into the garage after a run on Thursday.

"As with the Renault the detail is very difficult to photograph," confirmed the German report.

http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp...99641&FS=F1

In laymen's terms does anyone understand the reasoning for forward facing exhausts?

The exhaust gas is fed under the floor of the car at the base of the side pods. It increases the speed of the air running underneath the car and, in theory, downforce.

However, it must be a packaging nightmare, the side structure of the car will be subjected to intensely hot gases (will this effect the crash resistance for example) and the balance of the car must be twitchy depending on whether the throttle is on or off.

If it shows a definite advantage the other teams are going to struggle because this isn't something you can 'bolt on', it's a fundamental design feature.

The Ferrari F92, designed by John Barnard in the early '90s, had a similar gap between the cockpit and the sidepods. It ran some sort of twin floor configuration if I remember rightly. I presume the idea was similar to what Renault and Mclaren are working on now; somehow speeding up the airflow, or decreasing the air pressure, under the car to create downforce and the grip that comes with it.

Anyway, in the F92's case it was a total disaster and didn't work at all. They scrapped it halfway through the season.

The Ferrari F92, designed by John Barnard in the early '90s, had a similar gap between the cockpit and the sidepods. It ran some sort of twin floor configuration if I remember rightly. I presume the idea was similar to what Renault and Mclaren are working on now; somehow speeding up the airflow, or decreasing the air pressure, under the car to create downforce and the grip that comes with it.

Anyway, in the F92's case it was a total disaster and didn't work at all. They scrapped it halfway through the season.

Ahhh but Barnard didn't design forward facing exhausts. The problem with the F92 I seem to remember was pitch sensitivity. Wasn't this the car that Alesi had to literally drag round behind him?

Ahhh but Barnard didn't design forward facing exhausts. The problem with the F92 I seem to remember was pitch sensitivity. Wasn't this the car that Alesi had to literally drag round behind him?

Literally? :icon_lol:

I suspect they were trying to keep the Boundary Layer flow smooth along the fuselage (which reduces drag) and improve the air flow into the engine

If you look at any modern jet fighter the engine intakes are slightly separated from the side of the fuselage for that reason

Literally? :icon_lol:

a completely new take on Horse Power :scratchchin:;)

I suspect they were trying to keep the Boundary Layer flow smooth along the fuselage (which reduces drag) and improve the air flow into the engine

If you look at any modern jet fighter the engine intakes are slightly separated from the side of the fuselage for that reason

For the first time in the history of F1 threads, you're right(ish). They were trying to smooth the airflow (into the radiators).

The 'trick' though was the twin floor which didn't work. F1 is a copy-cat series, and if any designer comes up with a concept that gives a definite advantage they'll all have it the following year (either that, or the loophole gets closed). The fact that no-one has tried anything similar for nearly 20 years tells me any theoretical advantage may not be proven in practice.

Almost certainly correct - when you look at cars and planes what you see in the early days was all sorts of takes on how to do it - gradually, over time, they start to look more and more the same. The inefficient designs are winnowed out and you are left with efficient look-a-likes

until someone comes up with a new material, or computing power ratchets up a notch so they can model finer detail, you get stuck on a plateau and any small change is immediately copied by everyone else

• 2 weeks later...

Bahrain GP has been called off. Only decision that could have been made regarding the unrest.

Season opener is now in Melbourne on 27th March. Somehow feels just right.

• 2 weeks later...

Craig, when you're next on FB, take a look at the piccy on my wall :D (I wanted to put it on this thread but couldn't find a way to do it as it wouldnt let me save the picture)