Internet Speed

Nyff

My internet at Uni (plugged into the wall, so a big network) is generally extremely slow when it comes to browsing the internet, meaning things like Youtube take ages to buffer, and watching a live-stream of anything is pretty much impossible.

I think it is generally down to the amount of people using the network at any one time, as when I came back at Christmas and not a lot of people were back it was fairly quick to browse and what have you.

Now, the only thing I don't get is that times like this when I am browsing the internet things are being slow again. However, I am downloading a Movie in BitTorrent and the speeds I'm getting are super fast - like faster than the speeds I would be getting at home. Any idea why this is? And is there anything I can do to utilise that speed in my browser?

What direct are file download speeds like (try downloading a service pack from Microsoft)?

The internet connection at a Uni wont do traffic shaping and or port throttling as it's not of any interest to them. Especially given the quicker speed is in favour of torrents.

If you are using FireFox or IE, try Google Chrome - its designed for speed.

Edited by Phil

It is Chrome that I am using, but tbh I don't find it much faster than Firefox.

Direct file downloads seem to go fairly fast as well. Will try and download something in particular and let you know.

It is just websites take an age to load and things like Twitter/Facebook are slow to refresh and update.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but could it possibly be that I just get bad upload speeds? So downloading is fast because the DL speeds are fast, but because of the amount of people on the network the upload speeds are in some way affected meaning loading websites is slow?

Accessing webpages also use download.

Is the delay seen on encrypted websites (HTTPS)? try watching a video https://www.youtube.com

I'm surprised youtube and internet streams are slow and direct file download aren't. Are other PC's having the same issue?

If other PC's are having the same issue, then it would suggest as you first said the uni has two internet connection, one for webpages (HTTP and HTTPS) and another for everything else.

There's a few ways around this. The best solution would be to setup a VPN-tunnel. But the easiest would be to use remote desktop onto a computer on a different network (home maybe).

Edited by Phil

Surprisingly enough, watching a video on Youtube just buffered fine when it finally loaded (it took a while for the page to load up and for everything to 'appear'). It just seems to be general non-specific internet browsing :/

Like visiting websites like this as well as Twitter/Facebook e.t.c.

Sounds like the delay is in the initial connection. There wont be two internet connections as I'd first thought.

First thing to do is check someone else's PC to see if they get the same initial delay.

If they are, no matter what is causing it the only way around it is to browse the web via another network. RDP somewhere else or setup a vpn to somewhere else.

Sounds like the delay is in the initial connection. There wont be two internet connections as I'd first thought.

First thing to do is check someone else's PC to see if they get the same initial delay.

If they are, no matter what is causing it the only way around it is to browse the web via another network. RDP somewhere else or setup a vpn to somewhere else.

Everyone is getting the same problem.

Wish I had thought of it whilst I was at home and then could have set up some sort of a connection to the network there. Oh well.

How does sharing my home connection work exactly?

EDIT: Also, I guess the connection and speed issues mean that online gaming is a big no-no?

Edited by Nyff

My internet is pissing me off atm. I used to be able to dl 2 films at 400kbs each no bother, now im lucky if I can get 100kbs for 1 and can barely open up a a webpage at the same time. Reset the router and scanned the laptop with AVG and Malwarebytes and its clean as a whistle?

Edited by J69

Everyone is getting the same problem.

Wish I had thought of it whilst I was at home and then could have set up some sort of a connection to the network there. Oh well.

How does sharing my home connection work exactly?

EDIT: Also, I guess the connection and speed issues mean that online gaming is a big no-no?

I dont think you have speed issues, but a bottle neck on establishing the initial connection. I don't play online gaming so i'm not sure if it makes a connection and keeps it open, I suspect it would.

What speed test results do you get?

RDP is easy to setup, just port forward 3389 (http://portforward.com/) on your home router. To connect to your home PC Microsoft program built into window. "> Start > run > mstsc". Just tye the IP address in and it should work. Most routers these days support dyndns which will allow you to connect to a domain name instead of an ip.

My internet is pissing me off atm. I used to be able to dl 2 films at 400kbs each no bother, now im lucky if I can get 100kbs for 1 and can barely open up a a webpage at the same time. Reset the router and scanned the laptop with AVG and Malwarebytes and its clean as a whistle?

Rang Sky and they reckon the automatic line configuring they do had fucked up. Back to 6mbs now