The one player...

Whitey

Some of you I believe sometimes go and watch the reserves etc. Who was the biggest disappointment as they didn't quite cut the grade but perhaps looked at one stage a great prospect to succeed in the first team in years to come...?

Also who stood out a mile in the reserves or youth teams and looked leagues above the rest and looked destined to make it and did...?

My dad once told me how he used to watch the youth teams sometimes on a Saturday morning with Steve Watson standing out a mile, with his size and skill levels high above the rest..

Also, remember Lewis Guy, a good goalscoring record at youth and reserve levels, and Robson wouldn't let him out on loan as he didn't want him to get injured and saw him as a potential first team player...Now he is playing at MK Dons after Souness gave him one appearance against Sporting Lisbon in the waffa cup..

Watson was like a man when he was about 13 though but at least he made the grade and played in an excellent Newcastle team. Chopra was a massive disappointment after all the hype.

There's been so many; Chopra, Offiong, Guy, maybe Vuckic...

He's only 18 man, he's just signed a 5 and a half year deal and he's been injured most of this season :lol:

Granted, but I've seen nowt to convince me he's going to cut it. I think his performances at the lower level have owed much to his build.

Happy to admit if I'm wrong, but if the brief glimpses we've caught of him last season he didn't look like the all conquering player he was made out to be

Paul Brayson was another much like Chopra who was once touted as the next Shearer (or maybe the next Andy Cole as he's about the same age as me) but never got anywhere. Think he was playing for Gateshead or somewhere last I heard of him.

Also (around the time of Lewis Guy I think) we had two young England youth midfielders who looked very useful. One of them was Terry Mac's son and the other was a kid called Ross Gardner (if memory serves) who looked really talented. There was some controversy about them getting picked on or something by the youth coaches (possibly Pedro) and he ended up moving to Forrest where as far as I can see never did anything of note.

A quick Wiki search tells me he's playing for Shildon now!

Paul Brayson was another much like Chopra who was once touted as the next Shearer (or maybe the next Andy Cole as he's about the same age as me) but never got anywhere. Think he was playing for Gateshead or somewhere last I heard of him.

Also (around the time of Lewis Guy I think) we had two young England youth midfielders who looked very useful. One of them was Terry Mac's son and the other was a kid called Ross Gardner (if memory serves) who looked really talented. There was some controversy about them getting picked on or something by the youth coaches (possibly Pedro) and he ended up moving to Forrest where as far as I can see never did anything of note.

James Beaumont was the other kid involved in the Kenny Wharton / Pedro bullying thing. Doesn't even play any more I don't think but was highly rated as a youngster. I saw him play for the academy a couple of times and he looked a decent player.

Bogie, Appleby, Allon, Tinnion - really rated all of them, but they only made it into lower leagues, although Allon had brief spell with Chelski. Best of all was Paul Stephenson who I don't think really ever recovered from severe leg fracture.

I thought Michael O'Neill was going to be the new George Best.

I know he didn't really come through the reserves, we bought him from Glentoran I think and he scored a hat trick in if not his first, certaily a very early runout for the reserves. I seem to remember Peter Jackson saying he was going to be our greatest evr player or some such

got to agree about chopra. there was so much hype around him but he's never really cut the mustard in the top flight. looks a good championship player but that's it. a geordie version of rob earnshaw, but not quite as ugly.

I spoke to a mate about Chopra as his Pool team had Mellor coming through the youth ranks at the same time with a similar record.

On that note, his strike partner Offiong had a decent record iirc.

Plenty of folks go on about Pattison before his bad injury.

Braysons at Blyth.