3 months salary

tooner

I'm going to propose to my girlfriend and I've heard that you are supposed to spend 3 months salary on a ring. Has anyone else followed this 'mythical' rule of thumb or is it just propaganda from the diamond cartel?

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was lucky enough to propose when the $/£ exchange rate was 2:1. I got a lovely $3k engagement ring from Debeers for £1500

The Mrs also took great delight in telling her friends her ring was bought on 5th avenue in New York as opposed to theirs which were bought in Ernest Jones in Eldon Square

Only a f*cking pr*ck would go above more than a months wage. What does it prove? F*ck all and the hoare will just f*ck you up in the divorce courts eventually and you'll be wishing that money back or that you hadn't spent it on her in the first place. If you have that kind of money to spend then you are a lunatic (unless you are a cleaner on less than the minimum wage and works less than 3 hours per week in which case yeah, go for it).

I was lucky enough to propose when the $/£ exchange rate was 2:1. I got a lovely $3k engagement ring from Debeers for £1500

The Mrs also took great delight in telling her friends her ring was bought on 5th avenue in New York as opposed to theirs which were bought in Ernest Jones in Eldon Square

Alreet, RobW jnr :icon_lol:

I don't mean she was like ''look at my engagement ring, makes yours look shite'' :icon_lol:

Also remember bigger isn't necessarily better with Diamonds. Getting a nice colour, cut and clarity will make a 1/2 carat diamond look better than a 1 carat diamond that looks like a big yellow mess.

http://www.thediamondbuyingguide.com/fourcsofdiamonds.html

Only a f*cking pr*ck would go above more than a months wage. What does it prove? F*ck all and the hoare will just f*ck you up in the divorce courts eventually and you'll be wishing that money back or that you hadn't spent it on her in the first place. If you have that kind of money to spend then you are a lunatic (unless you are a cleaner on less than the minimum wage and works less than 3 hours per week in which case yeah, go for it).

Yeah.

Divorced and skint by any chance :icon_lol:

Parky I thought of that but I haven't come across any rocks that have been shiny enough... :icon_lol:

Women can't tell the differnace between a diamond and paste. FACT.

When she finally does stich you up, at least you will have had the last laugh on one thing. :scratchchin:

preach.jpg

Testify!

Divorced and skint by any chance :icon_lol:

Nah, I'm just a God-damn f*cking homosexual cleaner, struggling to make ends meet, a one that loves blokes c*cks and rings (not even a ring-piece worth 12 months wage would come close either (though i guess i would to it (come) the ring that is))).

When you see people dropping £20k on a car that will be worth half that in 5 years I don't see an issue with spending £3k on a ring that your wife will be wearing 'til the day she dies. There's people on here spent 3 months wages on a watch FFS :icon_lol:

When you see people dropping £20k on a car that will be worth half that in 5 years I don't see an issue with spending £3k on a ring that your wife will be wearing 'til the day she dies. There's people on here spent 3 months wages on a watch FFS :icon_lol:

Who's spent 3 months wages on a watch on here like? :scratchchin:

What's wrong with you?

basically spend as much as you can afford. it's a cliche but size of the diamond definitely matters; the bigger the rock the better if you want to make her happy. girls notice these things. if you get her some piddly 0.3 of a carat or whatever, she's going to notice you've scrimped, as will her mates. i got my mrs hers on the credit card and just paid it off over a few months. it's a good investment...especially if you want her to say yes. who wants to marry a tight arse after all?

good luck with it

basically spend as much as you can afford. it's a cliche but size of the diamond definitely matters; the bigger the rock the better if you want to make her happy. girls notice these things. if you get her some piddly 0.3 of a carat or whatever, she's going to notice you've scrimped, as will her mates. i got my mrs hers on the credit card and just paid it off over a few months. it's a good investment...especially if you want her to say yes. who wants to marry a tight arse after all?

good luck with it

Nonsense.

What use is that ring gonna be if she f*cks you off for burning your tea one night and you bray her with a claw-hammer and she laid out, stone-cold dead? What use is that ring gonna be then? Think about it man?

What use is that ring gonna be if she f*cks you off for burning your tea one night and you bray her with a claw-hammer and she laid out, stone-cold dead? What use is that ring gonna be then? Think about it man?

What about the black glove?