Not claiming this as ITK

Guest Marshall-Baines

Guest Marshall-Baines

...and I won't if it's right because I'm getting this third hand. Anyway the crack is at the end of July we'll host Ipswich Town in a friendly, tickets are £10, but it's all going to cancer research, and you can pay what you want for the ticket 10a or over. It's obviously with SBR in mind, and also the crack is the East Stand will be named the SBR stand around the time of the game. Don't shoot the messenger, could be wide of the mark, and I won't say I told you so when it's announced later in the week.

Good crack though imo, and I know people will say "he was only here 5 years, others are more deserving etc.." yes, I'd agree but he's still a legend and I can't think of a better ambassador that the NE has EVER had.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While there is an argument that others might deserve it more, any name of merit is preferable to "The East Stand" which is, frankly, just a waste of a name. Sir Bobby is certainly a name of merit and achieved more for the club in his five years than many of his predecessors, as well as being one of the greatest ambassadors the game had.

I've no problem whatsoever with this going ahead, if true. It would show a measure of class from a largely classless regime. I just hope it is being done for the right reasons and not to ingratiate that regime with supporters.

Joe Harvey needs something first.

Used to be the restaurant in the Milburn didn't it?

I would've thought the current regime would be falling over themselves to name a part of the ground after KK.

;) They should rename every part of the ground that was redeveloped post '92 after Keegan if that's the case.

Sad to say, but the "The Bobby Robson Stand" would be recognised around the world. "The Joe Harvey Stand" wouldn't be recognised by half the fans in L7.

...not sure if that's justification for using the former or the latter tbh.

it would a a good move and a rare positive pr move by ashley, hence why i cant see it happening.

We've already got the Bobby Robson garden and the Bobby Robson bust taking pride of place at the entrance and the John Hall stand and Shearer's bar.

Grateful as i am to all those people...It's a lot of praise when they never actually won owt for the club.

As you suggest, I think decisions like this are more about the people making them taking some of the limelight from great people rather than shining a light on their undervalued contribution to our history.

Edited by Happy Face

I can see it ending up as something like the 'Sir Bobby Robson shopped @ Sportsdirect stand.' Basically so close to a heart warming gesture, but ending up as crass self-promotion.

I can genuinely see them doing the Robson thing in conjunction with the Sports Direct Leazes Stand or something. Just as a little added pisstake.

it would a a good move and a rare positive pr move by ashley, hence why i cant see it happening.

We've already got the Bobby Robson garden and the Bobby Robson bust taking pride of place at the entrance and the John Hall stand and Shearer's bar.

Grateful as i am to all those people...It's a lot of praise when they never actually won owt for the club.

As you suggest, I think decisions like this are more about the people making them taking some of the limelight from great people rather than shining a light on their undervalued contribution to our history.

Aye, I agree with that.

I think its nice for the ground to have its own names like the Leazes or gallowgate wherever possible. Sir John Hall was deserving of a shout for dragging this club in every respect into a modern thriving football club.

Naming after managers is as Happy describes. Each generation usually has a deserving contender whether that be Joe Harvey, Kevin Keegan or SBR. There is no real reason why SBR should jump to the top of the list.

All credit to them mind if the game and charity tie in is correct. (Probably organised by Ipswich though).

If it is true that half of "level 7" wouldn't know who Joe Harvey was, but would consider SBR a NUFC legend, it's a sad fact that Joe Harvey was the last NUFC manager who actually won this club a trophy worthy of the name, and was also the last one to lift the FA Cup at Wembley(as a player), whilst also playing for the club for most of his career. SBR never never achieved any of these at NUFC. The "level 7" fans need to get clued up if they think Joe Harvey is not worthy of being recognised as a NUFC legend ahead of SBR!

Edited by Brazilianbob

Both Joe Harvey and Hughie Gallacher should've been recognised in some way a long time before now.

They should be but I think as neither were in the life time of anyone associated with the club bar the fans, it's always going to be unlikely. I'd take a SBR stand over nowt though.

Both Joe Harvey and Hughie Gallacher should've been recognised in some way a long time before now.

They should be but I think as neither were in the life time of anyone associated with the club bar the fans, it's always going to be unlikely. I'd take a SBR stand over nowt though.

Aye, it was just a general point really. An SBR stand with some sort of tie in to his charity wouldn't be something I'd have a problem with.

Aye, I agree with that.

I think its nice for the ground to have its own names like the Leazes or gallowgate wherever possible. Sir John Hall was deserving of a shout for dragging this club in every respect into a modern thriving football club.

Naming after managers is as Happy describes. Each generation usually has a deserving contender whether that be Joe Harvey, Kevin Keegan or SBR. There is no real reason why SBR should jump to the top of the list.

All credit to them mind if the game and charity tie in is correct. (Probably organised by Ipswich though).

Are you fucking kidding??!!!!

He took a modest punt and he and family made a mint out of this club before selling it to anyone who would pay him up front. You think he deserves a stand ahead of the likes of Harvey, KK, SBR or whoever? I'd name it after Davey Mac or David Kelly before Hall.

It's not like it was named after him for services to the club anyway. He basically named it after himself.

And isn't that just very, very sad?

It's not the most humble of gestures like, is it? ;)