Not claiming this as ITK

Guest Marshall-Baines

I suppose these 'top businessmen' are used to getting little titles and awards to themselves. You can't tell me backs aren't scratched by half of these contributers to political parties when the Knighthoods get handed out. Hall-Money-Tory-Knighthood.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While there is an argument that others might deserve it more, any name of merit is preferable to "The East Stand" which is, frankly, just a waste of a name. Sir Bobby is certainly a name of merit and achieved more for the club in his five years than many of his predecessors, as well as being one of the greatest ambassadors the game had.

I've no problem whatsoever with this going ahead, if true. It would show a measure of class from a largely classless regime. I just hope it is being done for the right reasons and not to ingratiate that regime with supporters.

when the east stand was built, it was quite rare for stands to be named after individual like nowadays.

Edited by LeazesMag

Half the country call our relationship with Sir Bobby in question anyway, saying we hounded him out etc etc.

Informed by the same press who actually did hound him out of the England job (and pretty much out of the country for almost a decade).

If it is true that half of "level 7" wouldn't know who Joe Harvey was, but would consider SBR a NUFC legend, it's a sad fact that Joe Harvey was the last NUFC manager who actually won this club a trophy worthy of the name, and was also the last one to lift the FA Cup at Wembley(as a player), whilst also playing for the club for most of his career. SBR never never achieved any of these at NUFC. The "level 7" fans need to get clued up if they think Joe Harvey is not worthy of being recognised as a NUFC legend ahead of SBR!

My point was not that most wouldn't think Joe Harvey deserved it, but that they won't know about him. Most of their parents probably weren't alive at the time ;) . I know the average TT poster reads paul Joannou religiously, but i don't think that's standard. Maybe I underestimate the youth of today. I'll do a straw poll in the stadium next week.

It would be interestiung to chat to Mike Ashley about his club. Ask him who he thinks is more deserving...Joe Harvey....Hughie Gallacher....Jackie Milburn...Stan Seymour.

I imagine he'd be pretty blank faced.

Edited by Happy Face

Half the country call our relationship with Sir Bobby in question anyway, saying we hounded him out etc etc.

Informed by the same press who actually did hound him out of the England job (and pretty much out of the country for almost a decade).

exactly. The sooner some people stop taking sections of the press so seriously, the better.

Some did mind.

If it is true that half of "level 7" wouldn't know who Joe Harvey was, but would consider SBR a NUFC legend, it's a sad fact that Joe Harvey was the last NUFC manager who actually won this club a trophy worthy of the name, and was also the last one to lift the FA Cup at Wembley(as a player), whilst also playing for the club for most of his career. SBR never never achieved any of these at NUFC. The "level 7" fans need to get clued up if they think Joe Harvey is not worthy of being recognised as a NUFC legend ahead of SBR!

My point was not that most wouldn't think Joe Harvey deserved it, but that they won't know about him. Most of their parents probably weren't alive at the time ;) . I know the average TT poster reads paul Joannou religiously, but i don't think that's standard. Maybe I underestimate the youth of today. I'll do a straw poll in the stadium next week.

It would be interestiung to chat to Mike Ashley about his club. Ask him who he thinks is more deserving...Joe Harvey....Hughie Gallacher....Jackie Milburn...Stan Seymour.

Personally, I think Joe Harvey did more for NUFC as a player and manager than anybody, with Kevin Keegan a close second, by miles. It's a shame Joe Harvey had to do the job with one hand tied behind his back [ring any bells] because he would certainly have built on the Fairs Cup team and gone forward from that point - how far we will never know, he may have not been a tactical manager, but his players all say his man-management was spot on and loved playing for him. He left the coaching etc to others, just like Keegan. Nowt wrong with that.

Even I knew a bit about Hughie Gallacher, and the fact his post-football life was tragic in the true sense of the word. I know of Jackie Milburn too, and they should both be commemorated in this manner, if they aren't already.

Sad to say, but the "The Bobby Robson Stand" would be recognised around the world. "The Joe Harvey Stand" wouldn't be recognised by half the fans in L7.

...not sure if that's justification for using the former or the latter tbh.

Agreed, but his charity work adds credence to the decision too and if it does happen I'll not be complaining.

Personally, I think Joe Harvey did more for NUFC as a player and manager than anybody, with Kevin Keegan a close second, by miles. It's a shame Joe Harvey had to do the job with one hand tied behind his back [ring any bells] because he would certainly have built on the Fairs Cup team and gone forward from that point - how far we will never know, he may have not been a tactical manager, but his players all say his man-management was spot on and loved playing for him. He left the coaching etc to others, just like Keegan. Nowt wrong with that.

Keegan thought Seymour deserved the Academy to be given his name...but resigned before it could happen.

Can't see Ashley naming owt after Keegan like....mebeez the bogs.

Hughie Gallagher is obviously something of a controversial figure because of his personal life, but, as Rob W will attest, right from his debut in 1925 till his departure to Chelsea 5 years later, he was absolutely magnificent every time he pulled on the black and white jersey.

Check this record: Whilst at Newcastle United, he scored 143 league and cup goals in 174 appearances. His strike rate was over 82%.

Slight upgrade on Best and Ranger then.

Well we did....

Speak for yourself mate....you're guilty of doing what the press do and lumping us all in together as we're the fuckin borg from star trek or something and we all think exactly alike.

Some wanted rid of Robson, chiefly Freddy fuckin Shpeherd.

Some were quite vocal on this and Shpherd listened to them and sacked him without having a successor lined up.

As far as I could make out most were a bit on the diasappointed side at finsihing 5th and not winning the UEFA cup. And there were concerns about the behaviour of the players. But wasnt the best, most qualified man to turn that round already in the job?

Well we did....

Speak for yourself mate....you're guilty of doing what the press do and lumping us all in together as we're the fuckin borg from star trek or something and we all think exactly alike.

Some were quite vocal on this and Shpherd listened to them and sacked him without having a successor lined up.

As far as I could make out most were a bit on the diasappointed side at finsihing 5th and not winning the UEFA cup. And there were concerns about the behaviour of the players. But wasnt the best, most qualified man to turn that round already in the job?

I didn't, but I clearly remember coming onto Newcastle messageboards and people claiming we should get him out....

Our main error was who we replaced him with...A cardinal sin..

I didn't want him out, I thought we were very unlucky in that run of games without a win, I remember the Villa game in particular we were on the end of some poor reffing decisions. Still could have been an apt time to get rid before that season, if we'd replaced him with someone of similar stature in the game. Souness' appointment made me feel sick.

Well we did....

I didn't, but I clearly remember coming onto Newcastle messageboards and people claiming we should get him out....

anyone who takes any notice of the drivel on them mate needs their head looking at... ;)

Well we did....

I wanted him out in the summer. Nothing against the bloke but I thought if we wanted to keep on moving forward as a club we needed to bring a younger manager in with fresh ideas who was proven at the very top level as I think it was becoming clear Robson didn't have long left in the game. We needed to follow Liverpool's lead.

That said the hounding out stuff is bollocks. They make it sound like we marched on the ground and forced Shepherd's hand when as a matter of fact even those who thought Robson needed to go were willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for what we were told was his final year.

Well we did....

I wanted him out in the summer. Nothing against the bloke but I thought if we wanted to keep on moving forward as a club we needed to bring a younger manager in with fresh ideas who was proven at the very top level as I think it was becoming clear Robson didn't have long left in the game. We needed to follow Liverpool's lead.

That said the hounding out stuff is bollocks. They make it sound like we marched on the ground and forced Shepherd's hand when as a matter of fact even those who thought Robson needed to go were willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for what we were told was his final year.

Aye, in a nutshell.

We needed to follow Liverpool's lead.

Which was?....appointing Benitez or some other exspenive foreign coach?...not having a dig I'm just not sure what you're getting at with this.

Anyone who walked out at the end of the last home game v Wolves in 03/04 before the team had done a lap of honour undoubtedly put a nail in Robson's SJP coffin, he says so in his autobiography anyway. He felt very let down by us that day.

We needed to follow Liverpool's lead.

Which was?....appointing Benitez or some other exspenive foreign coach?...not having a dig I'm just not sure what you're getting at with this.

Anyone who walked out at the end of the last home game v Wolves in 03/04 before the team had done a lap of honour undoubtedly put a nail in Robson's SJP coffin, he says so in his autobiography anyway. He felt very let down by us that day.

Liverpool finished above us yet saw fit to replace their coach because the team wasn't performing well enough. We were in direct competition with Liverpool at the time and capable of attracting any number of world class coaches. We should've grasped the nettle rather than twiddling our thumbs and making noises about how Robson was only being given another year.

Been done to death but there should have been a plan in place to replace a man that age. And if that Wolves game was so instrumental in his going how come he didn't go until after our (almost customary, under SBR) bad start to the season? The whole way it is portrayed so often is incorrect - i.e. ungrateful Newcastle fans forced out an honourable gentleman and subsequently got what they deserved. The reality was more like the regime probably knew he'd lost the players and (to an extent) the fans. We were pretty insipid at times the year we came 5th and the players looked like they'd lost some of the belief in the manager. However, I think the board were a little too concerned with looking bad and getting rid of Robson in the summer and pounced on what they saw as an opportunity to sack him when we had a bad start the following season. The lack of foresight in that move led to Souness coming and all the good work of the previous 5 years being undone.

Edited by alex