Would you settle for being an Everton?

Kid Dynamite

Ten years ago we were one of the top 4 in the country, but times change. We know now that any decent bid for players isn't going to be turned down. The Carrol saga has shades of the Rooney sale about it. Now Rodwell is apparently going to be leaving int he summer for £15mil. I wouldn't be surprised if Tiote left for a similar amount.

Despite that Everton manage to hold on to a decent manager, they challenge for the top 6, they put together cup runs and they still splash the cash every now and again.

Whether we accept it or not, it's the best we can hope for under Ashley. Obvioulsy id rather we were still top 4 but that ain't going to happen while the fat tat is in charge. He could easily take us down again with his methods so challenging for top 6 is going to be as good as it gets.

No. They're the epitomy of midtable obscurity. Sure they "challenge" for top 6, but we all know without massive investment in the team they'll never break it.

Plus... that accent? fuck that noise.

What? How does who the owner is change the potential?

Because of how he invests. Clearly man city have more ambitious owners than us and therefore more potential.

Our potential remains irrespective of whether you think it'll be fulfilled though

I know, however, we're more likely to spend big than Everton are. Even with Ashley in the chair. Also, we're more likely to be bought by an owner who is willing to spend big because our monetary potential is larger.

Everton will, forever be, the whiny little brothers of the bin-dippers up the road. We're have a monopoly on football going public, we've a blindly loyal fanbase who turn out in their thousands even when we're run by an hamfisted idiot.

It's fair to say that 10 years ago, a decent performance from NUFC would result in a debate about which quality player we'd attract. A decent performance these days results in a debate about which quality player is on his way out.

Also I think the comment about our potential being greater than Everton's is misguided. Potential needs to be realised.

Because of how he invests. Clearly man city have more ambitious owners than us and therefore more potential.

Our potential remains irrespective of whether you think it'll be fulfilled though

Well the potential is there for an Arab to buy Everton, build them a new ground and buy a new team. They have the fan base there

Well the potential is there for an Arab to buy Everton, build them a new ground and buy a new team. They have the fan base there

:D Do they? I'm not sure that's true. They don't sell out Goodison, they've a bigger club across the road and they've not tasted genuine success in years.

We have a city to ourselves, a huge and loyal fanbase that was topping 45,000 in the second tier of football, we've been mismanaged for over a decade and all it would take is a reasonably savvy owner to turn us from a sideshow into a main-event.

How 'big' we are as a club needs to be firmly disocciated from this notion that we therefore somehow deserve an owner to come in and splash their own money around. That's the whole point about billionaire owners (and eg why City now have more 'potential' than us), it's entirely random and has nothing to do with the size of the club. And if a Saudi billionaire actually wanted to piss his money up the wall for us, then I'm confident we can rest assured Ashley will take him up on the deal and bow out.

Wanting some billionaire backer to use their own funds is basically just a statement of desire. It's one which is absolutely valid, but it needs to be acknowledged as that rather than dressed up as something that we're morally more entitled to because we get 50k gates.

Ashley's a bell end for the most part, but whether he chooses to splash his own money to compete with billionaires is, I have to concede, a matter for him alone. He won't and therefore we might hope for another owner in due course, but we're no more entitled to one simply because we're NUFC. As soon as you look beyond the club itself and to outside investment, any premising of the debate on the clubs intrinsic potential (over other clubs) becomes almost entirely void.

:D Do they? I'm not sure that's true. They don't sell out Goodison, they've a bigger club across the road and they've not tasted genuine success in years.

We have a city to ourselves, a huge and loyal fanbase that was topping 45,000 in the second tier of football, we've been mismanaged for over a decade and all it would take is a reasonably savvy owner to turn us from a sideshow into a main-event.

Forget about the crowds and the stadiums for 5 minutes. We are a mid-table club that are willing to listen to offers for our best players and move them on, banking the cash. We operate on a tight budget and refuse to break the wage structure for any individual player. A deal will break down on the grounds of it, and new contracts won't be agreed with existing players for the same reasons.

Taking those circumstances into account we are indeed on an equal footing as the likes of Everton. I don't like it any more than the rest of you, but it's fact. And we can't use the fact that we are a one club city, have a better stadium and that we have more people turn up every other week as one-upmanship.

Good post because its more of a reality check than anything else. I can see Leazes drooling over this one, if he has any saliva left from the last few posts. Anyway, I wouldnt settle for us being a club like Everton in the long term future because i dont want to spend the rest of my life worried about how we fair against the likes of wigan, bolton, blackburn etc. I dont want to spend my conversations talking about how Carroll used to play for us, and what could have been if he stayed, or talking about how we're linked to players like bothrod n co. I want to be talking about how our strikers clattered vidic, to score top corner,or how enrique ripped open the bayern defense, or how barton crunched gatuso in a tackle etc.

Unfortunately none of that looks likely because there isnt any real stability in our club at the moment for us to really think about progressing in the near future. Ignore our pseudoposition in the league for a second, because realistically we're more likely to go down than up from 9th.

Firstly, all the talk at the club seems to be about players going and not big players coming. Partly because we have a fat greedy cunt of an owner who arguably hates his own fans more than any other owner ever to have graced the premiership.

Number 2, our manager is basically a puppet to this cunt, who is trying to convince the fans that he'l do what we want and whats best for the club, while seeming totally oblivious to the strings attached to his arse and hips. (although ive been impressed by his handling of things on the field)

So if you step back a little and look at the bigger picture, i think settling for being an Everton (in terms of stability, owner, manager, club dynamics etc and not support/history etc), and considering our current position, i feel its something we should all accept with open arms (for the next few years anyway and then think of looking ahead).

Forget about the crowds and the stadiums for 5 minutes. We are a mid-table club that are willing to listen to offers for our best players and move them on, banking the cash. We operate on a tight budget and refuse to break the wage structure for any individual player. A deal will break down on the grounds of it, and new contracts won't be agreed with existing players for the same reasons.

Taking those circumstances into account we are indeed on an equal footing as the likes of Everton. I don't like it any more than the rest of you, but it's fact. And we can't use the fact that we are a one club city, have a better stadium and that we have more people turn up every other week as one-upmanship.

i wouldnt have posted if i read this.

This. Potential is nothing if you won't risk tapping into it.

Despite selling Lescott for £25m eighteen months ago, and being run on a very tight budget they are still tottering on the brink financially. Kenwright has fuck all to invest. I'd hope if push came to shove here, the fat man would put his hand in his pocket rather than see us go into administration. That might not be an option for them.

Everton are run at a massive loss btw going back to the OP. So tapping into their potential as they do (as it seems to be perceived) means they're still at risk of going bust. They won't go bust of course (before Leazes has a coronary), but the way they'll avoid going bust is by someone else (outside investment) coming in and plugging the gap with their own money. And guess what, you're back into the randomness of who you get as an investor again and nowt to do with the potential or otherwise of the football club. Which basically just mirrors how our ownership has altered over the years too.

Depends on what you mean by "settle"?...do you mean us the fans "settling" for Everton's recent league record?...bar relegation, its been quite similar over the last 10 years.

Don't we just settle for what is being dished up on and off the field by whoever owns the club?...we might not be happy about it, but our crowds show that most of us are willing to at least tolerate Ashley,or not let him spoil our enjoyment in spite of everything. The only thing that couldve made crowds stay away wouldve been a prolonged period in divi 2 but it didn't pan out like that.

We're our own worst enemies in a way and we all deep down know it. Not enough of us are willing to stop going and even if we did is there anyone out there that would want to take us over and put enough serious money into us to make us serious challengers for silverware in most seasons? The potential is there, no doubt, but in reality we settle for whatever we're served up. We'll just hold our noses about Ashley and get behind whatever team we have to put out next season. And I expect the Everton fans will do much the same, as in reality we have no choice but to vote with our feet.