Steve Harper

Nobby

A little known fact.

I sold him his first three piece suite when he moved here and I even delivered myself in a transit van. He gave me a lift in with it. :lol:

Twas a modest little house in whickham.

It looked a lot like this

confortluxe_corona_2_seater_sofa_324516.jpg

That is all :lol:

Suite little story that like

Is he our longest serving player ever?

Interesting question that one actually. Was about to bat it to one side and say Jimmy Lawrence would have that record. Was here from 1904 to 1922 though so another 12 months and Harper will be longer serving.

Bill McCracken and Frank Hudspeth have the record - 19 years.

Interesting question that one actually. Was about to bat it to one side and say Jimmy Lawrence would have that record. Was here from 1904 to 1922 though so another 12 months and Harper will be longer serving.

Was also eternally grateful he wasn't called Phillip.

Was also eternally grateful he wasn't called Phillip.

In saying that we have two blokes at work, one called Phil Gash and the other called Phil Reah. I shit you not.

A genuinely fascinating read and it shows Harper to be a gentleman. However, there is 1 error when he describes doing the School Run the day Bobby Robson died. This is impossible as Sir Bobby died on Friday July 31st 2009, which is in the school holidays. I know this for a fact as my dad passed away the day after, August 1st, a year younger than Sir Bobby in the Freeman, of cancer.

Good read that, some classic Sir Bob-isms

Think my favourite SBR'ism is one told by Bryan Robson in a doc talking about Mexico '86. Bryan R saying how heat over there was really oppressive - unbearable at times and the squad stayed in hotel to keep cool and passed time watching films. At time Beverley Hills Cop was out with themetune by Glen Frey - The Heat Is On. The song came kinda ingrained with the players and they used to sing it about the place. Anyway, SBR comes down for breakfast and hears it being sung. Looking exasperated , puts his hand on the radiator ". . the heating's on! ?"

Guest LeazesLad
A little known fact.

I sold him his first three piece suite when he moved here and I even delivered myself in a transit van. He gave me a lift in with it. :lol:

Twas a modest little house in whickham.

It looked a lot like this

confortluxe_corona_2_seater_sofa_324516.jpg

That is all :lol:

Suite little story that like

I agree people are saying his careers finished but for me it's not sofa till it's sofa.

Anyone got the full link to this?

Think my favourite SBR'ism is one told by Bryan Robson in a doc talking about Mexico '86. Bryan R saying how heat over there was really oppressive - unbearable at times and the squad stayed in hotel to keep cool and passed time watching films. At time Beverley Hills Cop was out with themetune by Glen Frey - The Heat Is On. The song came kinda ingrained with the players and they used to sing it about the place. Anyway, SBR comes down for breakfast and hears it being sung. Looking exasperated , puts his hand on the radiator ". . the heating's on! ?"

The following also happened in Mexico:

SBR: Morning Bobby.

Bryan: No gaffer, I'm Bryan. You're Bobby..

:lol:

Guest LeazesLad

The following also happened in Mexico:

SBR: Morning Bobby.

Bryan: No gaffer, I'm Bryan. You're Bobby..

What about that trip to Mexico before the 86 WC about 6 month before, they're all gathering at Heathrow Airport. He's shouting at Bryan Robson, "where's Peter?? Where's Reidy????? If he's late again I'm getting on the phone to Howard (Kendal)", Bryan Robson goes "boss you dropped him from the squad".

fuck off I've here longer than that

Haha aye remember now. Lush man :lol:

Sorry, but he looks really creepy in your avatar.

Certainly not an association I think many would make about him, but that's your opinion.

I see it more as a look of defiance - in respect of what he was fighting in his life .