NEWCASTLE HIT BACK IN NEW KEVIN KEEGAN ROW

Christmas Tree

As predicted, the tit for tat. Not what we need.

The rift between Newcastle United and fans’ favourite Kevin Keegan widened to a gulf last night after the club hit back following his criticism of the £35million departure of Andy Carroll.

Keegan quit the club in 2008 in acrimonious circumstances after a row about transfer policy and earlier this week he doubted current manager Alan Pardew would be allowed to reinvest the Carroll cash on new players. But club chairman Derek Llambias is furious with his outburst, citing hypocrisy after Keegan claimed tens of millions in compensation at a tribunal following his walk-out as boss.

“I saw an interview with Alan Pardew where he said he hoped to get some of the £35m and I thought ‘Alan, you ain’t going to get any of that’,” said Keegan, who told Radio Five Live he accepted selling Carroll was the right decision but questioned its timing.

Noting similar overtones to when he sold James Milner from Newcastle to Aston Villa in 2008, Keegan added: “I think £35m for Andy Carroll – if I’d been manager, I’d have taken it.

“But how can you spend it on the last day of the transfer window? My big argument was that we were selling James Milner for a lot of money - probably above the value we put on him - and I said, ‘Please don’t sell him before we get someone in’.”

But last night chairman Llambias poured scorn on Keegan’s observations. “How can Kevin Keegan talk about having any concern for this club’s finances when he tookaction against Newcastle United that could have finished us?” said Llambias.

“He was claiming close to £26m from Newcastle when he took his dispute over his departure to a tribunal.

“In the end he was awarded the minimum amount – just £2m.

“If he had been awarded what he was claiming, the club would not be here today. His remarks are astonishing.

“The very reason we got as much as £35m [for Andy Carroll] is because we concluded the deal on deadline day. Liverpool wanted him but we wanted our price and they had to pay it.

“As for his comment about not selling James Milner before replacing him, the club had signed Fabricio Coloccini, Danny Guthrie and Jonas Gutierrez in the weeks before he was sold.”

Sources at the club have already indicated that Pardew will be allowed to spend in the summer window and much of the Carroll fee will be earmarked for incoming transfer fees and wages.

Pardew and his directors know they are also likely to face a fight to hold on to Chiek Tiote, a largely unheralded signing when he arrived in a £3.5million deal from Dutch side FC Twente last August.

Like Carroll, Tiote blossomed in the Premier League and is now considered to be worth many times that initial fee.

And the club’s last skipper to hold aloft a major trophy, Bob Moncur, advised Keegan to curb his tongue.

“I’m a great believer that, when you’ve had your time as manager of a club, you should try to keep such thoughts a private matter,” said Moncur, a Fairs Cup winner in 1969.

“In my opinion, Kevin was ill-advised because, with the season going into the crucial final straight, it didn’t really help anybody.”

After splitting with Newcastle, Keegan claimed loss of salary and benefits totalling £8.6m and “stigma damages” – arguing that, as a consequence of his resignation, he had found and would continue to find it difficult to work again as a top-flight manager up to his 65th birthday.

That sum was an eye-watering £16.5m.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LeazesLad

This is an unbelievable interview, utterly shambolic, astonishing, and all these mugs on here and plenty others pals included who support this regime need to read this. DEADMAN or Paulwynuk42 would've had more sense than to put this out. More contradictions as well :D Look at this:

“The very reason we got as much as £35m [for Andy Carroll] is because we concluded the deal on deadline day. Liverpool wanted him but we wanted our price and they had to pay it.

Utterly, utterly, utterly astonishing, if he was in front of me now I'd honestly call him a wanker. For weeks, and weeks, months, and months, ah Carroll's not for sale, building club around him etc. etc.... now he's admitting they'd clearly been negotiating with Liverpool over the whole month, and waited till the optimum time to sell him, somebody give me a conclusion to his sentence which differs from mine because I can't see one. That fuckin idiot David Craig, when the news came through "there were a lot of heavy hearts in the Newcastle boardroom regarding this, fuck off, he must be on the pay roll. What a fuckin absolute idiot Llambias is, he probably doesn't even realise what he's done, he's revealed the truth about the entire thing, fuckin idiot. Scumbags.

As for the response to Keegan typical classless bollocks, and as if Ashley wouldn't have supported the club to protect his investment as well, saying we'd go bust. Arsehole.

The tribunal wasnt allowed to award Keegan any more than the 2million outstanding on his contract, the 25million was just a figure his lawyers plucked from mid air.

The tribunal did find that Ashley and Dekka are nowt but a pair of unprincipled fuckin liars though :D

Guest LeazesLad
The tribunal wasnt allowed to award Keegan any more than the 2million outstanding on his contract, the 25million was just a figure his lawyers plucked from mid air.

The tribunal did find that Ashley and Dekka are nowt but a pair of unprincipled fuckin liars though :D

Exactly, but read Carroll sentence he's an absolute knacker. If I was Ashley I'd be furious with him, it exposes just how dense they are.

Exactly, but read Carroll sentence he's an absolute knacker. If I was Ashley I'd be furious with him, it exposes just how dense they are.

The evidence was there before anyway....the yank at Liverpool let the cat out of the bag by saying "the price for Torres was dependant on what Newcastle wanted for Carroll" and Torres stuck his transfer request in around 20th of January, plenty of time for us to line up someone better than Shefki fuckin Kuqi. But as you say, he probably doesnt realise he's just confirmed it with that pile of bollocks. I think KK is spot on, it'll be free transfers, unknown foreigners (will we get lucky twice? doubt it...) and out of contract crocks for us this summer.

You can take everything he says apart, like how come relegation supposedly cost the club £25m, i.e. the club was losing 500k a week, yet the £25m being bandied about would have finished the club? Quite apart from the fact Ashley would have been able to pay it anyway. You also have to laugh at the way he seems to suggest KK 'only' getting £2m, is some sort of vindication of the club in the whole affair, conveniently ignoring the findings of the tribunal. Unfortunately some supporters are clueless enough to believe him though. It's also noteworthy he doesn't actually refute KK's claim that Pardew won't see the cash from the Carroll deal.

This is an unbelievable interview, utterly shambolic, astonishing, and all these mugs on here and plenty others pals included who support this regime need to read this. DEADMAN or Paulwynuk42 would've had more sense than to put this out. More contradictions as well :D Look at this:

Utterly, utterly, utterly astonishing, if he was in front of me now I'd honestly call him a wanker. For weeks, and weeks, months, and months, ah Carroll's not for sale, building club around him etc. etc.... now he's admitting they'd clearly been negotiating with Liverpool over the whole month, and waited till the optimum time to sell him, somebody give me a conclusion to his sentence which differs from mine because I can't see one. That fuckin idiot David Craig, when the news came through "there were a lot of heavy hearts in the Newcastle boardroom regarding this, fuck off, he must be on the pay roll. What a fuckin absolute idiot Llambias is, he probably doesn't even realise what he's done, he's revealed the truth about the entire thing, fuckin idiot. Scumbags.

As for the response to Keegan typical classless bollocks, and as if Ashley wouldn't have supported the club to protect his investment as well, saying we'd go bust. Arsehole.

Aye, when he uses the word 'concluded', it's clear the negotiations had been going on for a while and not just that day.

Llambias hardly ever says anything but when he does you can guarantee he ends up looking like a cunt.

Think that's in his job description tbf, and it's clearly something he excels at.

Guest Your Name Here

Aye, when he uses the word 'concluded', it's clear the negotiations had been going on for a while and not just that day.

It also makes a mockery of the claim Carroll forced the club into selling him on deadline day by handing in a transfer request.

To be a good liar you need a bloody good memory. Unfortunately for these clowns they seem

to forget their last soundbite pretty quickly and the next lie contradicts the one before.

We've said it before, but how these two made millions in business is beyond me