Do You Still Like Andy Carroll?

DubiousBobcat

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He must be regretting his decision now like. 80k pw to watch his new team mates destroy Man U and then boarding a plane as we speak to fly to Portugal for a European game. The cunt could have been playing off Leon Best and watching us lose to Everton if he had stopped!

Looked brilliant pre the Man U match with the ground in full song to walk alone and all the scarves in the air.

The whole ground and the Leazes End (in particular) used to do that before YNWA was thieved (typical) to become the "red-scouse anthem". They didn't invent it, although you'd think they did :D

They were also the dirtiest bunch of cunts ever to play, worse than vintage Leeds IMO

and Shock Horror, I agree with LM on something:

I hate to say this, but if you disagree that they are "perceived as being bigger" [your words too] because they have actually made themselves this by their very actions, you are a very sad blind person.

You'll never walk alone is adopted from the musical "Carousel", by Rodgers and Hammerstein.

Liverpool were the first set of supporters I personally heard sing that, adopted from Gerry and the Pacemakers ie the Mersey sound of the early 60's and I went to my first game in 1964. Not that I'm defending them, but it always makes me laugh when people re-write history like this.

Liverpool were not a dirty team under Shankly, no way.

I am reliably informed by my Manu supporting Londoner colleague that "You'll never walk alone" was appropriately first sung by ManU fans at their first game after the Munich air crash, which was against Sheffield Wednesday.

It was only later adopted by the scousers because of the Gerry and the Pacemakers link. On a lighter note, I was once browsing a footie forum where a Liverpool fan was arguing long and hard that the song was penned by Gerry and the Pacemakers :lol:

As for Liverpool not being a dirty team under Shankly, have you forgotten about Tommy Smith?

"It was only later adopted by the scousers because of the Gerry and the Pacemakers link. On a lighter note, I was once browsing a footie forum where a Liverpool fan was arguing long and hard that the song was penned by Gerry and the Pacemakers :lol: "

the prosecution hereby rests its case m'lud

Gerry Marsden's singing is absolutely shocking in that version as well. Have a good listen to it if you get the chance.

Gerry Marsden's singing is absolutely shocking in that version as well. Have a good listen to it if you get the chance.

It is . He's even sweating tears . A whole living made on nostalgia .

Anyone ever been to The Beatles Museum at Albert Dock ? There's a grand piano behind glass all done like a recreated studio setting - all reverential and such . There's a little sign discreetly placed that says "This piano may or may not have been used in the recording of Imagine" (if is not Imagine its Abbey Road or Sgt Pepper)

Y cannit make it up .

edit

:lol:

"Is the grand piano really John Lennon's?

Unfortunately the piano in the Beatles Story is not originally John Lennon's. However, we previously had an upright piano that belonged to John Lennon, which he wrote ‘Imagine' on, but this was sold to George Michael in 2000. "

http://www.beatlesstory.com/visitor-inform...-questions.html

Edited by LoveTheBobby

Seeing in him another shirt was closure for me. Like, when you see a ex-lass with a new bloke.

Move on.

I bet Leazes wouldn't.

You are in decline. I bought you jewellery the most often on average over the last 15 years :lol: You're now in more debt you tart. I thought our daughter how to punch. So what if I was taking an insignificant amount out of your purse now and then, you still got your jewellery didn't you?

Etc etc

Looked brilliant pre the Man U match with the ground in full song to walk alone and all the scarves in the air.

The whole ground and the Leazes End (in particular) used to do that before YNWA was thieved (typical) to become the "red-scouse anthem". They didn't invent it, although you'd think they did :D

They were also the dirtiest bunch of cunts ever to play, worse than vintage Leeds IMO

I hate to say this, but if you disagree that they are "perceived as being bigger" [your words too] because they have actually made themselves this by their very actions, you are a very sad blind person.

You'll never walk alone is adopted from the musical "Carousel", by Rodgers and Hammerstein.

Liverpool were the first set of supporters I personally heard sing that, adopted from Gerry and the Pacemakers ie the Mersey sound of the early 60's and I went to my first game in 1964. Not that I'm defending them, but it always makes me laugh when people re-write history like this.

I am reliably informed by my Manu supporting Londoner colleague that "You'll never walk alone" was appropriately first sung by ManU fans at their first game after the Munich air crash, which was against Sheffield Wednesday.

It was only later adopted by the scousers because of the Gerry and the Pacemakers link. On a lighter note, I was once browsing a footie forum where a Liverpool fan was arguing long and hard that the song was penned by Gerry and the Pacemakers :lol:

As for Liverpool not being a dirty team under Shankly, have you forgotten about Tommy Smith?

maybe ManU fans did sing it, not many people would know that, if its true, I certainly didn't, but Gerry and the Pacemakers adopted it as part of the Mersey sound so if Liverpool football fans adopt it as their clubs anthem I really don't see why anybody has a problem with that , other than being petty and small minded. Its no big deal.

"Penned by Gerry and the Pacemakers".....its the same sort of principle as a stupid NUFC supporter thinking NUFC had always been challenging at the top of the premiership and its Big Bad Freds fault that we aren't doing it anymore, like ASM for instance :D

I certainly haven't forgotten Tommy Smith at all, even Toonpack correctly says the game was tougher - and not so athletic or fast - in those days, every team had a hard man or even two. Chelsea has Ron Harris, we had John McNamee and Ollie Burton who kicked a few people even though they are both real gents in real life.......was Tommy Smith harder than McNamee ? Not a chance. Alex Ferguson was shit scared of McNamee, and Gary Sprake was terrified of him. Liverpool upheld all the games best under Shankly. Leeds were the dirtiest team by far, with Norman Hunter, Jack Charlton, Johnny Giles and Allan Clarke especially, they had more than most and applied all the dirty tricks in the book to go with it.

Edited by LeazesMag

Seeing in him another shirt was closure for me. Like, when you see a ex-lass with a new bloke.

Move on.

I bet Leazes wouldn't.

You are in decline. I bought you jewellery the most often on average over the last 15 years :lol: You're now in more debt you tart. I thought our daughter how to punch. So what if I was taking an insignificant amount out of your purse now and then, you still got your jewellery didn't you?

Etc etc

you can't wait to find an excuse to unblock me can't you :D

Move on.

I bet Leazes wouldn't.

Etc etc

(AshleysSkidMark @ Mar 8 2011, 11:02 AM)

You have chosen to ignore all posts from: LeazesMag.

· View this post

· Un-ignore LeazesMag

http://www.toontastic.net/board/index.php?...mp;#entry874279

after trying to be a funny cunt posting a picture up of his blocked users. Seeing as he made a public display of me being blocked

:D

Anyone ever been to The Beatles Museum at Albert Dock ? There's a grand piano behind glass all done like a recreated studio setting - all reverential and such . There's a little sign discreetly placed that says "This piano may or may not have been used in the recording of Imagine" (if is not Imagine its Abbey Road or Sgt Pepper)

Y cannit make it up .

edit

Unfortunately the piano in the Beatles Story is not originally John Lennon's. However, we previously had an upright piano that belonged to John Lennon, which he wrote ‘Imagine' on, but this was sold to George Michael in 2000. "

A bit like people going to visit the Cavern Club, except it's not the Cavern Club.

Y cannit make it up .

edit

A bit like people going to visit the Cavern Club, except it's not the Cavern Club.

I've been to the Beatles thing in Albert Dock. The room with the piano has the opening chords to 'Imagine' playing over and over and it's quite surreal (as was the John Lennon's mind room). I hung about because I thought a Lennon impersonator was gonna come out and do a performance.

It should also be noted that the history timeline in that room only goes up to 1986 (or at least it did when I went there)

[quote name='Brazilianbob' date='Mar 9 2011, 09:59 AM' post='879265'

This is from answers.com I think

Manchester Utd

Manchester United supporter Jane Hardwick asserted in 2004 that she had performed the song -- together with friends from the New Mills Operatic Society -- at "one of the games" following the Munich Air Disaster as her own personal tribute, before spontaneously being joined "by thousands of fans" around her, until "the whole ground was singing it".[4] This would predate Gerry Marsden's pop cover by five years. However, as one local supporter noted:

"Anyone who has watched [or] listened to Carousel will tell you, the composition and performance of the musical version with the popular Gerry Marsden version sounds completely different."

Put another way, Hardwick may have been an aspiring opera singer, but to believe that the Old Trafford faithful belted out an operatic version of "You'll Never Walk Alone" is highly doubful.[5] Moreover, nothing is recorded on film or in print media to support this claim.

This is how I've always known it to be.

Prior to Gerry Marsden recording YNWA, I'm sure you'd accept that many football fans wouldn’t have been aware of the song to any great extent. LM is right in his assertions about it largely, but there is also some background.

Gerry had loved the song from he first heard it in the 50’s and was singing it as part of his act for a few years prior to recording it, and my Dad said it was a popular number for the band even then. A few footie fans who’d seen Gerry do it had started singing it on the away coaches, but only when Gerry recorded it did they manage to get it going in the ground. At the time, the songs played leading up to KO at Anfield were the latest from the pop charts with the fans joining in, especially as many of them were from local bands. The last song to be played was usually the current number 1. YNWA was top of the charts for around 6 weeks so was sung just before kick off for all of those weeks, and it carried on being sung at that time ever after.

During the 1965 Cup Final, where it was sung loudly as you can imagine, Shanks decided that the club should adopt it as it’s own anthem, which they did and have done ever since.

maybe ManU fans did sing it, not many people would know that, if its true, I certainly didn't, but Gerry and the Pacemakers adopted it as part of the Mersey sound so if Liverpool football fans adopt it as their clubs anthem I really don't see why anybody has a problem with that , other than being petty and small minded. Its no big deal.

"Penned by Gerry and the Pacemakers".....its the same sort of principle as a stupid NUFC supporter thinking NUFC had always been challenging at the top of the premiership and its Big Bad Freds fault that we aren't doing it anymore, like ASM for instance :D

I certainly haven't forgotten Tommy Smith at all, even Toonpack correctly says the game was tougher - and not so athletic or fast - in those days, every team had a hard man or even two. Chelsea has Ron Harris, we had John McNamee and Ollie Burton who kicked a few people even though they are both real gents in real life.......was Tommy Smith harder than McNamee ? Not a chance. Alex Ferguson was shit scared of McNamee, and Gary Sprake was terrified of him. Liverpool upheld all the games best under Shankly. Leeds were the dirtiest team by far, with Norman Hunter, Jack Charlton, Johnny Giles and Allan Clarke especially, they had more than most and applied all the dirty tricks in the book to go with it.

I think you must mean Alex Stepney yes?

As to leeds being the dirtiest team I completely agree with you, Billy Bremner was no shrinking violet either although Giles was particularely dirty going over the top of the ball and jumping into tackles with both feet off the ground on numerous occasions that I recall!

I loved watching McNamee "play" and as you correctly say, many star players were terrified of him, indeed you could see them exchanging looks of real concern when Joe harvey used to bring him on as a sub. Happy days indeed!

Edited by Brazilianbob

Alex Ferguson would've played against (and been marked by, pardon the pun) McNamee, wouldn't he?

McNamee came from Celtic I think.

He started at Celtic and went to Hibs where we got him from in 1966.....Ferguson was playing for St Johnstone and Dunfermline around then so he very likely did play against each other....whether either were scared of each other I think it would be difficult to say....

Alex Ferguson would've played against (and been marked by, pardon the pun) McNamee, wouldn't he?

He started at Celtic and went to Hibs where we got him from in 1966.....Ferguson was playing for St Johnstone and Dunfermline around then so he very likely did play against each other....whether either were scared of each other I think it would be difficult to say....

Alex Ferguson, in his book, says that McNamee was built like a man-mountain and after one scuffle/disagreement they had, he sneaked out of the ground because he thought McNamee was waiting for him.

This is when he played for Rangers, or Dunfermline as PaddockLad says, I think McNamee was playing for Hibs at that time.

Anyway, this is the book, which is very good, one of the best.

4c697cbf98c1ea76428a88eefd6447a0_big.png

he mentions him here

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/foo...icle5026752.ece

Edited by LeazesMag

Alex Ferguson, in his book, says that McNamee was built like a man-mountain and after one scuffle/disagreement they had, he sneaked out of the ground because he thought McNamee was waiting for him.

This is when he played for Rangers, or Dunfermline as PaddockLad says, I think McNamee was playing for Hibs at that time.

Anyway, this is the book, which is very good, one of the best.

4c697cbf98c1ea76428a88eefd6447a0_big.png

he mentions him here

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/foo...icle5026752.ece

My Old man delights in telling about when MacNamee swung on the crossbar after we'd scored at Roker , sending the inbreds into an indignant frenzy.

aye, I think it was after the 3rd goal, we scored 2 late goals and drew 3-3 that day