New Kits 2011/12

Tooj

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Club should be breaking their arse to get a deal with Umbro for 2013/14 IMO.

Hate Puma kits with a passion and I'm no fan of Nike either.

Nike bought Umbro in 2008. At the same time Umbro started to make the retro style kits (England, Man City) everyone loves, not too disimilair to Nike shirts (Brazil, New Zealand, Arsenal)

Before Nike

football_shirt_2210_1_500x400x0.jpg

After Nike

PDS010014028.jpg

You couldn't possibly have picked a worse pre-Nike example like.. :D

My opinions of Umbro stretch back to when we were supplied by them previously. They supplied us for 13 years I think (1980-1993), provided 5 different home kits in that time and there's not one I didn't love the design off.

Adidas however, who supplied us for 15 years, I can only think of 3 (possibly 4) designs that I liked out of 8 that they provided.

Appreciate the link you make between Nike & Umbro from both a style and ownership POV but there is still a difference IMO. Maybe they are the influence behind Umbro's awesome efforts of late, but I still prefer what's coming out under that brand rather than their flagship.

Puma is just fucking awful and as for Reebok.....

Unless you're one of Umbro's selected teams to get a properly designed kit (Man City, England), then you just get the standard copy and paste with slight amendments version like us and Blackburn.

That said, the standard kit is canny enough.

Unless you're one of Umbro's selected teams to get a properly designed kit (Man City, England), then you just get the standard copy and paste with slight amendments version like us and Blackburn.

As much as it pains me to admit it, the mackems shirt is actually quite a nice design, cheapened by having Tombola plastered on the front of it but as far as the template goes I quite like it.

As much as it pains me to admit it, the mackems shirt is actually quite a nice design, cheapened by having Tombola plastered on the front of it but as far as the template goes I quite like it.

too much red, not enough black for me

craig. no fan of nike and yet you want an umbro kit?

as nobby said, theyre practically the same thing (granted they have their own divisions etc) but its like saying you're no fan of general motors but quite like vauxhall (not that anyone would ever say that)

nike also own converse as it happens

only downside to nike, in my eyes, is that they sponsor perch

love to be sponsored by nike

Edited by rabit71

sorry about my belated reply above, dont know what happened there.

understand completely what you're saying about the 70s kits, wouldnt mind them bringing those back

but we wont get umbro as they have sunderland

we'll get nike

its how that "company" does it,

man utd - nike, man city - umbro

notts county - nike, notts forest - umbro

villa - nike, wba - umbro

rangers - umbro, celtic - nike

and so on

Edited by rabit71

Am I the only person that thinks Puma is the best kit make? The away and third shirts this year were brilliant. Next year, sort the home shirt out, go a bit more adventurous with a SINGLE away kit, and we're onto a winner.

Well, to be fair I have the third shirt (but only because my away shirt had Carroll on the back :icon_lol: ) . But you never actually see anyone wearing it do you? Surely they don't actually sell that many third shirts? We've worn it once (against Wolves away) as far as I can remember too.

Away and 3rd shirts are always something of a lottery. I think the last non-black and white shirt that made the club a ton of cash would be the 1995-6 hooped throwback shirt. There have been some nice designs since but nothing that eye catching or classy, a difficult task with polyester!

I think this years offerings are quite sensible, nice plain designs in popular colours.

For me the biggest issue with the home kit is (not only the awful plastic sponsor patch) but the big back panel for the mumbers. Why don't we go back to red numbers on a retro style shirt next season?

Am I the only person that thinks Puma is the best kit make? The away and third shirts this year were brilliant. Next year, sort the home shirt out, go a bit more adventurous with a SINGLE away kit, and we're onto a winner.

Probably! I don't like the panelling across the chest on the away/3rd kits, and not a fan of the 'cupcake topper' badge on any of the shirts. I just want something simple, classy, slightly retro and as said above with a small white patch and red numbers on the back (like in the early 90's). Is that too much to ask?