Toon scout Graham Carr scours globe for talent

Tooj

Agree with jonthemag. I very much doubt there's many players playing in Europe unknown to premier league teams, a scouts job is to find players that will suit playing in the league and suit the playing style of the club. The bloke has pretty much completely written off Yanga-Mbiwa which is ridiculous, and declared haidara as not prem quality which from what I've seen of him isn't true. Why is he watching so many of our games anyway?

I expect Mbiwa to be a fine defender in a couple of years' time. He's got some great attributes. For some reason people forget not everyone immediately adapts to this league.

Colo, Enrique, Koscielny etc just some of the examples.

The key attribute that Carr brings to the table (as far as Ashley is concerned) is that he is very clued in on release clauses and contract situations enabling the club to buy many of these players 'on the cheap'.

That's the most retarded this I've read in a long time! ... and we have CT!

Surely if a scout finds Cabaye a French international for 5.5m he's a goose that lays golden eggs!

No point saying you've heard of gold, so it doesnt count!

What a terrible, bitter article. You'd be hard pressed to find more sour grapes on RTG.

As has been mentioned, it's not just about finding players, it's finding those that fit the model for Newcastle United. Good enough to improve the squad and with a resale value. We operate in a field just outside the big-boys, but we're looking to find players that the big boys might have on their radar, but aren't willing to take a punt on yet.

If that is a wind up its got some Partridge genius to it:

'Kevin Mbabu - yet to play for the first team so for all I know, could be better than Messi. I doubt it though.'

:lol:

Edited by ADP

It's also about signing players that fit into the culture of the squad and the style of playing.

QPR fan clearly believes that scouting is just a case of watching a match, seeing someone have a decent game then recommending him.

It's all academic though, as he was so obviously fishing for bites.

It's also about signing players that fit into the culture of the squad and the style of playing.

QPR fan clearly believes that scouting is just a case of watching a match, seeing someone have a decent game then recommending him.

It's all academic though, as he was so obviously fishing for bites.

I think that's less true for our club than others. Mike doesn't want longevity, he isn't about to let Pardew build a legacy, his best possible scenario is the scouting network finding saleable assets for a small initial outlay, small to moderate wages, who can be sold for substantial profits.

Cabaye is a good example; he wasn't an unknown and he's clearly a very good player. However we were able to buy him at a small price at the right time. If he does go in January it will be for £20m+. If, however, we had an owner who wanted to build an empire he wouldn't be for sale at any price, there'd be a genuine desire to kick on and the fortunate 5th wouldn't have been rested upon.

Ashley doesn't care about finding egos and characters that fit in our club long term.

Pardew (and possibly even Carr) have both said

I think that's less true for our club than others. Mike doesn't want longevity, he isn't about to let Pardew build a legacy, his best possible scenario is the scouting network finding saleable assets for a small initial outlay, small to moderate wages, who can be sold for substantial profits.

This has been done to death, but which players have been signed for a small initial outlay and sold for substantial profits? There really aren't any more than your average club, aside from the ridiculous £35m deal for Carroll which nobody in their right mind would refuse.

Pardew (and possibly even Carr) have both said

This has been done to death, but which players have been signed for a small initial outlay and sold for substantial profits? There really aren't any more than your average club, aside from the ridiculous £35m deal for Carroll which nobody in their right mind would refuse.

I'm not saying that it's happened, I'm saying that's the plan. Buy cheap that'll improve the squad, only sell for big profit. If £30m had been put on the table for Cabaye, he'd be gone, same for Tiote (for a smaller amount).

The plan hasn't changed, we're just waiting for the big fee to be tabled.

And we'll be left hoping once again our over hyped scout has lined up a decent replacement.

I wonder if all the Anita talk this season has anything to do with him being the replacement? We'll try very hard in January of course but that darned crossing line will come in the way.

And we'll be left hoping once again our over hyped scout has lined up a decent replacement.

I wonder if all the Anita talk this season has anything to do with him being the replacement? We'll try very hard in January of course but that darned crossing line will come in the way.

spock-eyebrow-raise-o.gif

I'm not saying that it's happened, I'm saying that's the plan. Buy cheap that'll improve the squad, only sell for big profit. If £30m had been put on the table for Cabaye, he'd be gone, same for Tiote (for a smaller amount).

The plan hasn't changed, we're just waiting for the big fee to be tabled.

I think that's spot on personally. I'd add to that buy young so there's less chance of injury and more chance of improvement (performance and value)…..and avoiding having to write off transfer fees (unless you're Joey Barton). imo experience to date suggests we don't generally buy to sell…..we'll only sell the ones we want to keep for a big profit i.e. Carroll. I think the bigger problem in recent times has been lack of depth in key areas.

Edit: by writing off transfer fees I mean losing money when we sell a player as opposed to writing off in an accounting sense which I appreciate we have to do

Edited by Kitman

piss poor article,

he seems not to know that we tried to buy Remy BEFORE his spell at QPR (amazingly, given the way QPR signed him.)

Reckons Sissoko was on everyones radar? why didnt they buy him then? piss poor scouting NOT signing him, unless he was too expensive at the time, in which case another feather in his cap for picking the opportune moment to do business? Are we to believe that Nick/QPR wouldnt have signed him for the price we did? or would they have preferred to sign another Boswinga?

Jealous Annie making a weak argument against someone/something he clearly has no knowledge of (other than playing FM)

P.S - He's fishing surely?

Edited by PUGATRON1000

• 2 years later...

Looks like Carr is on his way out.

I feel for him a bit. He recommended the likes of Lacazette and Aubamayang and the club scrimped and bought Riviere and Gouffran instead. He can't be blamed for that

Looks like Carr is on his way out.

I feel for him a bit. He recommended the likes of Lacazette and Aubamayang and the club scrimped and bought Riviere and Gouffran instead. He can't be blamed for that

Aye he's been one of the few good people working at the club in recent years, badly let down by the people he reported to.

71 now though and not rafas man.

Mad that some people give him shit for the players we sign when he spent years recommending really good players and ones who've gone on to be incredible and the board have tried to be clever and missed out time and time again