Toon scout Graham Carr scours globe for talent

Tooj

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle...310-28326328/2/

Newcastle United chief scout Graham Carr believes “exciting times” lie ahead for the club, as he tells MARK DOUGLAS in an exclusive interview

“But there are a few other considerations – we want players with a bit of pace who can get about the park. And they have to be the right age and they have to come within the wage structure as well.

“That is quite a few things to look at admittedly, but I really think we have a good chance of getting the players that are on our list.

“Supporters would certainly be surprised at the pulling power of Newcastle United in France and Holland in particular. I would say that outside of the traditional big four we’re probably the biggest draw in those countries.

“That was something that I was always struck by, even when I was working for Spurs and at other clubs. Don’t under-estimate the name value of Newcastle United.

“Playing in front of 52,000 in the Premier League is a real incentive to many. I mean I have been to certain French clubs this season – clubs at the top of the league over there – and they are probably going to be playing in the Champions League next year, yet I could name three or four players who would join Newcastle tomorrow.

“They’ll all know about the way we’ve treated Hatem Ben Arfa. L’Equipe has been covering his recovery in detail and we’ve come across very positively.”

Does that infamous wage structure – debated in such great detail – not constrict the options available to United?

“Not really. The wages we can offer are better than they would be in many other European leagues,” he says.

“In places like Belgium, Holland and France the money isn’t probably quite as good.

“Germany is tougher because they do pay well – and the crowds are big over there as well.

“Of course, agents get involved and that complicates the situation, but if you hand-pick the players and do your research, you generally know the players in our bracket.

“We can’t compete with the resources of a Manchester City, but those clubs aren’t going to necessarily be looking at the same players that we are.

“In the next bracket of clubs, we’re at the top I believe.”

Top of the wish-list is a striker. Carr admits he has watched Lille striker Gervinho and Lorient hot shot Kevin Gamiero but the remit, again, is pretty specific.

“It is down to the manager and I will just put forward the options to him,” he said.

“But I think we’re looking at someone with pace, who can play off the shoulder. Maybe someone who is more of an out-and-out striker.

“We have plenty of options. I like to think we could have brought in somebody in January to replace Andy Carroll with a little bit more time, but it all happened quickly and in the end we couldn’t do it.

“I don’t like January anyway, to be honest. It is the desperation window in my opinion.”

Acting in haste is not something Carr is prone to do. Homework on players is the key and when you’re trying to unearth a rough diamond, that often extends to their backgrounds and home lives too.

On that front you can’t beat good old- fashioned leg work – such as picking up a few whispers from friendly taxi drivers. Instinct comes into it too – not everyone can handle life at United.

“Being a Geordie and having supported Newcastle gives me a bit of an advantage I think,” he said.

“You look at some players who are talented, but you just have to say ‘They’re not a Newcastle United player’.

“I know the crowd can be quick to get on your back at times. You have to have mental strength, you have to play a certain way. I always knew a guy like Tiote would be a big favourite.”

A kitty of near £35million must add to both the excitement and pressure on a Chief Scout with just a few months until the window swings open again in July?

“Yes they are exciting times ahead for the football club,” he said.

“There is added pressure because people know we have money to spend, but we have done our homework and tried to hand-pick players who will suit this club.

“You can’t promise a 100% success rate, but we know what we’re trying to do and the blueprint that we’ve got can bring success to Newcastle.”

MIKE ASHLEY is a “committed and passionate” Newcastle United owner, reckons Graham Carr.

He points to regular meetings with Ashley, managing director Derek Llambias and club secretary Lee Charnley as evidence that scouting and recruitment are near the top of the owner’s agenda.

“The owner and the senior staff are very much interested,” he said.

“I work very closely with Derek Llambias, Lee Charnley as well as the manager and Mike Ashley.

“I have regular meetings with the owner – I have met him on loads of occasions. It is good for me that there is interest in bringing players in.

“I know what the perception is outside of the club but he strikes me as a passionate man who is very committed to Newcastle United.

“They are knowledgeable. It’s amazing how interested they are really.”

Towing the line which is fair enough aside, it absolutely fucking terrifies me that they think we only need one striker.

Where does it say that?

Top of the wish-list is a striker. Carr admits he has watched Lille striker Gervinho and Lorient hot shot Kevin Gamiero but the remit, again, is pretty specific.

“It is down to the manager and I will just put forward the options to him,” he said.

“But I think we’re looking at someone with pace, who can play off the shoulder. Maybe someone who is more of an out-and-out striker.

“We have plenty of options. I like to think we could have brought in somebody in January to replace Andy Carroll with a little bit more time, but it all happened quickly and in the end we couldn’t do it.

Maybe it's just me but that implies a replacement for Carroll

I see in the next article that he asked Sven about Gervinho. Got told he wasn't an out and out striker so it looks like he wasn't quite impressed with that and has left it up to Pardew. Reading the article it looks like we are going to go for a quick striker.

It's a pity we couldnt find another and younger Defoe.

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle...310-28326328/2/

Newcastle United chief scout Graham Carr believes “exciting times” lie ahead for the club, as he tells MARK DOUGLAS in an exclusive interview

“But there are a few other considerations – we want players with a bit of pace who can get about the park. And they have to be the right age and they have to come within the wage structure as well.

“That is quite a few things to look at admittedly, but I really think we have a good chance of getting the players that are on our list.

“Supporters would certainly be surprised at the pulling power of Newcastle United in France and Holland in particular. I would say that outside of the traditional big four we’re probably the biggest draw in those countries.

“That was something that I was always struck by, even when I was working for Spurs and at other clubs. Don’t under-estimate the name value of Newcastle United.

“Playing in front of 52,000 in the Premier League is a real incentive to many. I mean I have been to certain French clubs this season – clubs at the top of the league over there – and they are probably going to be playing in the Champions League next year, yet I could name three or four players who would join Newcastle tomorrow.

“They’ll all know about the way we’ve treated Hatem Ben Arfa. L’Equipe has been covering his recovery in detail and we’ve come across very positively.”

Does that infamous wage structure – debated in such great detail – not constrict the options available to United?

“Not really. The wages we can offer are better than they would be in many other European leagues,” he says.

“In places like Belgium, Holland and France the money isn’t probably quite as good.

“Germany is tougher because they do pay well – and the crowds are big over there as well.

“Of course, agents get involved and that complicates the situation, but if you hand-pick the players and do your research, you generally know the players in our bracket.

“We can’t compete with the resources of a Manchester City, but those clubs aren’t going to necessarily be looking at the same players that we are.

“In the next bracket of clubs, we’re at the top I believe.”

“I don’t like January anyway, to be honest. It is the desperation window in my opinion.”

Acting in haste is not something Carr is prone to do. Homework on players is the key and when you’re trying to unearth a rough diamond, that often extends to their backgrounds and home lives too.

On that front you can’t beat good old- fashioned leg work – such as picking up a few whispers from friendly taxi drivers. Instinct comes into it too – not everyone can handle life at United.

“Being a Geordie and having supported Newcastle gives me a bit of an advantage I think,” he said.

“You look at some players who are talented, but you just have to say ‘They’re not a Newcastle United player’.

“I know the crowd can be quick to get on your back at times. You have to have mental strength, you have to play a certain way. I always knew a guy like Tiote would be a big favourite.”

A kitty of near £35million must add to both the excitement and pressure on a Chief Scout with just a few months until the window swings open again in July?

“Yes they are exciting times ahead for the football club,” he said.

“There is added pressure because people know we have money to spend, but we have done our homework and tried to hand-pick players who will suit this club.

“You can’t promise a 100% success rate, but we know what we’re trying to do and the blueprint that we’ve got can bring success to Newcastle.”

MIKE ASHLEY is a “committed and passionate” Newcastle United owner, reckons Graham Carr.

He points to regular meetings with Ashley, managing director Derek Llambias and club secretary Lee Charnley as evidence that scouting and recruitment are near the top of the owner’s agenda.

“The owner and the senior staff are very much interested,” he said.

“I work very closely with Derek Llambias, Lee Charnley as well as the manager and Mike Ashley.

“I have regular meetings with the owner – I have met him on loads of occasions. It is good for me that there is interest in bringing players in.

“I know what the perception is outside of the club but he strikes me as a passionate man who is very committed to Newcastle United.

“They are knowledgeable. It’s amazing how interested they are really.”

Aye :D

I see in the next article that he asked Sven about Gervinho. Got told he wasn't an out and out striker so it looks like he wasn't quite impressed with that and has left it up to Pardew. Reading the article it looks like we are going to go for a quick striker.

It's a pity we couldnt find another and younger Defoe.

Gervinho's more of a winger than a striker if anything, but IMO we need another winger, and 2 strikers at least

Incidentally I see the slimy Vetere cunt has quit as Villa's chief scout as him and Houiller didn't see eye to eye on transfer targets. Obviously Houllier didn't fancy Nacho Gonzalez warming his treatment table for a season either...Rumbled again Jeff!

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Aston...icle713550.html

Surely a fucking head scout should go look at players the manager wants him to find, not him dictacting what the club needs?

Incidentally I see the slimy Vetere cunt has quit as Villa's chief scout as him and Houiller didn't see eye to eye on transfer targets. Obviously Houllier didn't fancy Nacho Gonzalez warming his treatment table for a season either...Rumbled again Jeff!

Surely a fucking head scout should go look at players the manager wants him to find, not him dictacting what the club needs?

Surely his job is to discuss with the manager, althought the manager has the final say Scouts watch much more football and they are not just responisble for player recruitment but also potential changes in tactics. If the head scout sees a player he thinks would be superb, even if not specifically asked for someone in that position you would be very dissapointed if they didn't let it be known.

Surely his job is to discuss with the manager, althought the manager has the final say Scouts watch much more football and they are not just responisble for player recruitment but also potential changes in tactics. If the head scout sees a player he thinks would be superb, even if not specifically asked for someone in that position you would be very dissapointed if they didn't let it be known.

Tbf a scouts job is to scout. He should have nowt to do with the day to so selection of players or tactics

Tbf a scouts job is to scout. He should have nowt to do with the day to so selection of players or tactics

:lol: The article itself could be summed up as 'scout does his job'. It's hardly rocket science like. His remit might be to find a certain type of player or to look at a specific player but at the same time he's obviously going to be keeping an eye out for any other talented players on display.

The last sentence fucks it for me.

Aye, I'm not sure whats quite so amazing about the owner of a football club being interested in said football club. :lol:

Read it again you fucking cock sucker

I was agreeing with you you sad little man

Selection of players not directly but in player recruitment he is involved in advising on strenghts and weaknesses of current squad and possible improvements, potential tactics and the way players will fit in against different opposition, of course that is part of his job. He he unearths a gem he must explain to the manager how and why he will fit in to the team (tactics) the manager can't be at every single game across the globe hence the delegation to coaches and scouts. Scouts play a big role in tactics, not just for up and coming fixtures but also player recruitment.

Imagine the conversation from your point of view.

Carr "ere pards this bloke is fucking mint"

Pards "ok....what makes you say that?"

Carr "well he looked a canny turn I watched him the other week"

Pards "in particular what impressed you, how would he fit in, who would you see him as ahead of in our current set up?"

Carr "Well a divn't naa that's ure job ya cockney twat"

Your talking shite tbh. It's not a scouts job to advise a manager on the weaknesses of his squad. It's his job to find players to address the weaknesses the manager feels his squad has.

But the scout must have the tactical awareness and ability to be able to explain to the manager why this player fills the void the manager is looking for, he can't just say get him, he has to back it up with a detailed analysis, it ain't like choosing a twix over a wispa!

EDIT: P.S I think you are stuck in the days when the manager actually had the final say. They should be known as head coaches now and nothing more

Edited by GeeForce

I didnt say a scout didnt have tactical awareness though. Its a fundamental part of being a scout. You said that scouts have a say in team tactics and who the manager buys. Thats bullshit.

did you just say a scout having a say in who the manager buys is bullshit :lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::rolleyes:

Cheers that has really made this a good monday!

On a more serious note, if a scout doesn't understand our team tactics, and the manger does not discuss tactics with the scout, how can he go out and find the right players to meet the criteria. On the other side of things, scouts do not have the sole job of player recruitment, they are sent to view up and coming opposition, to advise on oppostion tactics and therefore who they think may counteract the threats of the opposition. It is ultimately the managers decision but its not like a manager goes to one game in advance and then knows exactly what he is going to do. Opposition are scouted for weeks in advance to give the manager the best opportunity of picking a team that will come out of it with a decent result. Managers rely heavily on scouts, much more heavily than on coaches at the club, they are responsible for providing the manager with enough, solid information with which he can do a good job.