Toon scout Graham Carr scours globe for talent

Tooj

Probably or at least some meeting half way. I don't think he'll have been on a great deal of money anyway. Perhaps I'm being too optimistic but I see this as another battle won by Rafa.

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Probably or at least some meeting half way. I don't think he'll have been on a great deal of money anyway. Perhaps I'm being too optimistic but I see this as another battle won by Rafa.

Aye I'm hoping that's the case. He had a bit of a mixed record, probably more misses than hits but I always think it's hard to know who he really wanted to bring in and was blocked from getting. If the rumours about him trying to fight a bit of a power struggle with Rafa over the January window have any truth to them whatsoever then this is good news. 

1 hour ago, Howay said:

Aye I'm hoping that's the case. He had a bit of a mixed record, probably more misses than hits but I always think it's hard to know who he really wanted to bring in and was blocked from getting. If the rumours about him trying to fight a bit of a power struggle with Rafa over the January window have any truth to them whatsoever then this is good news. 

You could see it as soon as we were linked with some shitty arsed French winger on the last day of the January window when we were allegedly working our bollocks off on Townsend. Wonder who was in the ear of Charnley there. I also wonder who wanted his pockets lined by that agency again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Howay said:

The fact that he recommended Riviere as a signing even if he was well down the list, should have been enough to get him sacked.  You can't tell me that even for the price we paid for him we couldn't have signed many better players.

The decision may well have been made 6 weeks ago mind. Takes time to ease people out of the club and negotiate a departure.

I doubt Rafa has been sitting on his hands while this has been happening.

26 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Let's not forget that Rafa signed his fair share of plums at Liverpool before we get too excited at Carr's departure.

True but at least he'll be looking for players for his own system now rather than "This agent I know says this guys shit hot, also he's cheap and I'm being paid to get him this move"

15 hours ago, David Kelly said:

The fact that he recommended Riviere as a signing even if he was well down the list, should have been enough to get him sacked.  You can't tell me that even for the price we paid for him we couldn't have signed many better players.

That to me was clearly iffy now we know Carr almost exclusively dealt with players on the books of one French agency. Any semblance of a legacy he may have had at the club after his departure has been completely spoiled by that. You can be sure Ashley was in full knowledge of it and actively encouraged it. Pity he couldn't see it was going tits before Carr was appointed to the "football board" that saw McLaren appointed. 

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

Let's not forget that Rafa signed his fair share of plums at Liverpool before we get too excited at Carr's departure.

I think the reason to be pleased by this isn't that Rafa is some sort of supreme talent spotter, but that it removes a potential cause of conflict that could cause him to fuck off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaddockLad said:

That to me was clearly iffy now we know Carr almost exclusively dealt with players on the books of one French agency. Any semblance of a legacy he may have had at the club after his departure has been completely spoiled by that. You can be sure Ashley was in full knowledge of it and actively encouraged it. Pity he couldn't see it was going tits before Carr was appointed to the "football board" that saw McLaren appointed. 

Absolutely, and McClaren being a mate of his allegedly

As has been said elsewhere, all criticism of Carr must take into account the nature of Ashley and his representatives.

It was widely reported that Carr was scouting the likes of Lacazette, Aubameyang, Gameiro etc. And way before they were attracting the longing glances from the big clubs. If we held off purchasing those players he recommended because of £2m here of there (as was suggested) it's not really his fault, is it? Of course some of the links are bullshit, but sufficient to suggest he knows a decent player when he sees one.

That said, he has suggested some players who flopped, players like Thauvin. Questions need to be asked about why we signed him when it was pretty clear that he wasn't a good fit for the Premier League and/or McClaren's style of football.  But I imagine Carr provided Charnley et al with a list of players who he thought were undervalued, and regardless of the needs of the team the lad with the biggest margin to be made would be courted.

Had the moneymen had at least one eye on the performances on the pitch, I think Carr's contacts and eye for an undervalued player could have been of benefit. Debuchy, Janmaat, Santon, Tiote, Cabaye, Sissoko, Wijnaldum, Ben Arfa, Ba, Cisse, were all good or great players for us. And if they were managed by a decent boss and could see ambition and not avarice they may not have been so fucking keen to leave. 

The other side to that is the that Carr probably knew we had a certain budget for a player, say £10 million, and he suggested fucking world beaters that were well over budget. 

Tbh, you could fire up FM and say Lacazette etc were class, it's not rocket surgery.

Not particularly arsed either way like.

20 minutes ago, strawb said:

The other side to that is the that Carr probably knew we had a certain budget for a player, say £10 million, and he suggested fucking world beaters that were well over budget. 

Tbh, you could fire up FM and say Lacazette etc were class, it's not rocket surgery.

Not particularly arsed either way like.

I wanted to be a rocket surgeon when I was a boy.