Pardew Facing Dilemma Over Goalkeeping Situation

Tooj

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle...79310-28326409/

Pardew facing a dilemma over United keepers

Mar 13 2011 by Mark Douglas, Sunday Sun

ALAN PARDEW admits either Fraser Forster or Tim Krul is likely to leave Newcastle over the summer – after ruling out recruiting another goalkeeper.

The United boss says he intends to recall the impressive Forster from Celtic at the end of the season and pitch him into a three-way battle to be Newcastle’s No 1.

While Harper currently has the edge, Pardew will not offer him a gilt-edged assurance he will start the season with the No 1 jersey if either Krul or Forster does enough during the summer.

Conversely, the man ranked No 3 will be allowed to depart St James’ Park – either for a stint on loan or permanently.

Pardew told the Sunday Sun: “In the summer I do not intend to bring a keeper in – our three goalkeepers will be on an even keel probably, with Harps just having the edge because of what he has done this season.

“Tim and Fraser have to come here in pre-season and be challenging.

One will have to go out and one needs to threaten Harps or take his position – that is what the club is about.

We cannot keep them both at the club, we don’t want to.

Although Pardew is not promising him a continued stint in the No 1 jersey next season, he clearly rates Harper as one of the Premier League’s best stoppers.

Hailing him as worth “eight to 10 points a season,” he reckons Harper brings a calmness and serenity to the United defence.

Harper was that good against Everton, pulling off a string of superb stops.

Pardew added: “Harps deserved to win us a point against Everton.

“If Leon Best’s goal had stood I would have said Harps would have won us that point.

“He is the kind of goalkeeper who can save you eight to 10 points a season. That is how good he is.

“I think sometimes you get a young goalkeeper who can reach right to that top corner and touch it over the crossbar and maybe make a save Harps cannot.

“However, 90%, of a goalkeeper’s work is about being in the right positions, cutting out balls, kicking consistently.

“He comes, makes the right decisions on crosses and shots which should be saved by the keeper he saves.”

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Krul has a lot to do to convince me he is a premiership keeper, although in the long run the championship may be the standard....

A lad I know says Forster is the better of the two, but I don't know because I haven't seen Forster.

Fair enough comments really.

I send Krul out on loan. Give Forster a chance at some time on the pitch with us and the season after Harps will be done....then the two younguns fight it out for number 1.

well forester is actually rated higher than krul and harper on fifa 11 hes rated 73 where krul is rated 68 and harper i think is 71

I thought I was loony, but think you should take my name. Muppet!

well forester is actually rated higher than krul and harper on fifa 11 hes rated 73 where krul is rated 68 and harper i think is 71

I thought I was loony, but think you should take my name. Muppet!

I see you more as being thick as fuck than 'loony'. Admittedly he outdoes you on that score too though.

Harper is 36 tomorrow - not got many years left in him. I think we'd be mad to let Forster go without a turn out for the first team. Krul has had a chance and not been able to oust Harper.

That to me would suggest that if anyone should leave it should be Krul but I'd do everything possible to make sure it's only on loan.

By the way given a little rumour I've heard over the weekend I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a certain former goalkeeper of ours moving to the big rivals of his current employers. Don't quote me on it but I'll be happy to claim ITK if it does happen :lol:

I send Krul out on loan. Give Forster a chance at some time on the pitch with us and the season after Harps will be done....then the two younguns fight it out for number 1.

This. Although I doubt Forster wants to warm the bench after he's playing regularly and probably gonna get his second medal in 2 seasons. Krul seriously needs to sort his kicking out though.