Kinnear - Appointed Director of Football

Sonatine

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is totally staggering mind. Everyone who I've seen comment on it is totally bewildered. You seriously couldn't make it up!

Mates I've got who support other teams aren't even taking the piss. They're as baffled by this as all of us.

Football365's take on it...

Kinnear's Appointment Proves Ashley Hasn't Learnt

Why on earth would Mike Ashley appoint Joe Kinnear as Newcastle's new director of football? The owner's failure to learn will inevitably lead to more problems...

Joe Kinnear. Joe F**king Kinnear. This is madness from Mike Ashley.

It seems that the Newcastle owner can't make a good decision without having to balance it out with another idea so hare-brained that it deserves its own padded cell. Win promotion under Chris Hughton; sack him after only four months back in the Premier League. Finish fifth under Alan Pardew; hand him an eight-year contract. Watch Pardew's stock plummet; bring back Joe Kinnear to 'oversee playing style and transfers'. It's a see-saw of mayhem that proves that despite baby steps in the right direction, Newcastle's...umm...castle is still built on weak foundations.

You would think that the club might have leaked the possibility of Kinnear's appointment a week ago to gauge the fans' reaction before making a final decision, but in some ways Ashley is a smart man and he will have known what to expect. In other ways, he's just appointed Joe Kinnear to be his new director of football. The same Joe Kinnear who managed to squeeze 52 expletives into his first press conference as interim manager back in 2008, made himself an enemy of the fans and won only four of his 20 matches in charge before stepping aside due to health problems three months before Newcastle's relegation.

If Newcastle supporters weren't already aware that Ashley doesn't give two hoots about their opinion, they certainly are now. It's a long time since Ashley's contrived 'I'm one of you' schtick and the owner has clearly given up completely on trying to get fans back on-side. The 'Cockney Mafia' endured stinging vitriol during Kinnear's first reign at St. James' Park and now the 66-year-old returns to the Wonga Stadium - or whatever it's called - the reception is unlikely to be any different.

What on earth persuaded Ashley to make this appointment? Kinnear claims it's "an interesting role for myself" - he must be grateful after having Newcastle as his only employer in the last nine years - but there is next to nothing in his past record to suggest he's suited to the position. To his credit, Kinnear's signings in January 2009 - Kevin Nolan, Peter Lovenkrands and Ryan Taylor (in part-exchange for Charles Insomnia N'Zogbia) - were all useful additions to the Magpies' squad, but that still doesn't explain why anyone would trust him to oversee all transfer activity, let alone the team's playing style.

Newcastle have gradually made shrewd changes to their transfer policy during Ashley's tenure with Graham Carr tasked to find value across Europe. Last season's disappointment lay not in the players who were eventually signed in January, but Ashley's failure to back Pardew in the summer window following a season in which the Magpies over-achieved. If hindsight shows that Ashley made a glaring mistake in summer 2012, then one wonders what will be made of Kinnear's appointment in 12 months' time.

There have been suggestions that Kinnear has been brought in to speed up Pardew's exit, but that would be entirely unnecessary. Despite his eight-year contract, reports claim there is a clause in Pardew's deal stipulating that he can be sacked with only a year's compensation. Ashley's bold move was merely a gesture to underline his faith in the manager after he led the club to a fifth-place finish in the Premier League in 2012.

It is difficult to ascertain just why Ashley has made this move and if piling pressure on Pardew to get results was a consideration, the owner will definitely get his money's worth with Kinnear. The new director of football has never been afraid to speak his mind - just ask Simon Bird - and his appointment will have caused great embarrasment to Pardew, who is also known for his bullish outbursts. After last season's struggles, the last thing Newcastle needed was to make life harder for themselves, but everything is now in place for a dramatic implosion.

Going back to the above point when Keegan said in the recent interviews how he's lost a lot of interest in the club while these fucking balloons were CUSTODIANS - I can relate to that even more tonight .

True, I can also relate to him calling it a living nightmare - as a fan that's exactly how I feel about supporting our club right now.

Also he'd be advising on Pardew's replacement. :lol: "Awww teww you wan fing, Mike my sahn. What you don't want is a fackin forrunna! You want a man like Stuart fackin Pearce. Samwan wiv a bit o the buwwdog abaht'em!"

:lol: :lol: mint

So good shamelessly stolen by me on twitter. Wonder what the Ashley arselickers think about this. Such a shit appointment we're 12/1 from 20/1 to be relegated today.

True, I can also relate to him calling it a living nightmare - as a fan that's exactly how I feel about supporting our club right now.

Same here....wonder how many father`s days that appointment has ruined...

The absolute best we can hope for is that Pardew was asked to walk last month and refused. They've got somone lined up but need to save face as they got Pardew to sign an 8 year deal less than 12 months ago. Enter their old mucker today, Pardew (has there been any quotes from him yet?) walks as he knew fuck all about Kinnear, new man comes in, Kinnear slides off at Christmas. Anything else doesn't bare thinking about.

AP: "Mike, I just dahnt unnastan' it. I fawt we was tight, I fawt we was foreva for anavva eight year, you and me? Was it samfing what I said?"

Mike: "Dahnt worry, Alan my old

Sahn, you're job is sife as 'ouses. Old man Joe's just ere to show them keegan lavvers oose boss, innit? Eese ere nah, you two are going to get on like an 'ouse on fire. Camoan in Joe! Say hello to Al."

JFK: "Which ones Pardew?"

AP: "Me."

JFK: "You're a cu..............."

AP: "Mike, I just dahnt unnastan' it. I fawt we was tight, I fawt we was foreva for anavva eight year, you and me? Was it samfing what I said?"

Mike: "Dahnt worry, Alan my old

Sahn, you're job is sife as 'ouses. Old man Joe's just ere to show them keegan lavvers oose boss, innit? Eese ere nah, you two are going to get on like an 'ouse on fire. Camoan in Joe! Say hello to Al."

JFK: "Which ones Pardew?"

AP: "Me."

JFK: "You're a cu..............."

:lol:

The absolute best we can hope for is that Pardew was asked to walk last month and refused. They've got somone lined up but need to save face as they got Pardew to sign an 8 year deal less than 12 months ago. Enter their old mucker today, Pardew (has there been any quotes from him yet?) walks as he knew fuck all about Kinnear, new man comes in, Kinnear slides off at Christmas. Anything else doesn't bare thinking about.

Having now heard this idiots phone interview on Sky (whereby the sweaty arsehole is announcing this hoax of a shambles to the world down a mobile - with the club is yet to comment) anyone even slightly distancing themselves has to hear what he says as borderline goading to Pardew like . If Pardew has an ounce of self-respect he'll tell them to shove it up their collective anuses (which as you suggest, may be the intention)

"I'll make this club better for sure , I know more than any cunt at the club (er no disrespect to anyone) etc etc"

What's the purple-faced fool's brief exactly ? Belittle Pardew ? 'Oh just be your football genius self Joe' ? Dance monkey dance ?

Like you say, anything else doesn't bear thinking about while the flip side throws up the question of 'where does Ashley get off on all this!?' - something I'm sure most ask themselves at least once a season .

Fucking snidey wankers the lot of them . Bolloxit .

I've been trying to make sense of this one for hours.. we've come so far since the relegation season, it just doesn't add up.

The only thing I can think of is that they want someone in with a thick skin to deal with the current situations that are unfolding, wonga shirts etc.. Pardew is hardly going to man up all of a sudden and confront the deserting rats and underperformers..

I can imagine Pardew is considering his position tonight, maybe that's part of the plan too?

Would be some tucking if he walked and then it turned out Kinnear forgot to take his heart medicine yesterday afternoon :)