What are your ailments?

It could be a complete coincidence that it happened the day after the surgery though.

Did you have the carpal tunnel decompression under local anaesthetic Bev?

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It could be a complete coincidence that it happened the day after the surgery though.

Did you have the carpal tunnel decompression under local anaesthetic Bev?

Hi Cath, yes I did. All went well, it was day surgery, I even watched some of it! Came home teatime, went to sleep at 11pm but when I got up to get some pain killers at 5am(ish) I passed out on my own in the kitchen, I'm not sure how long I was out for. I came round and got up quickly and ran into hubby, feeling sick. He sat me on the bed whilst he got me a sick bowl and when he came back I was having a full on seizure. The docs seem to think that even if I'd had a bad reaction to the anesthetic, it would have been out of my system within 48 hours. I was ill for nearly 6 months with various problems, it felt like my body was being attacked all over.

Im off to work now, though not feeling great it has to be said :lol:

Well most of you know I was very ill last year. Very briefly I had a small day surgery op for carpal tunnel syndrome but the following day I fainted then after had a full on seizure. After some tests it was just thought to have been caused by a sudden drop in my BP. After that though I was very ill, I had so many symptoms it was almost unbelievable and extremely scary! For 3 months I woke up feeling sick and urging. I had lightheadness, racing heart, weakness, a tremor in my legs, gastro problems including a vile taste in my mouth all the time and chronic pain inbetween my shoulders blades which was put down to irritation of the esophagus.... I lost weight, I looked and felt completely shit. I got pneumonia, then several weeks later I got pelvic inflammatory disease....though I still had all the same basic symptoms all the way through those 6 months. The cause was never really found despite several trips to hospital and various tests. I just thanked god I started to feel better and went back to work at Christmas. Apart from the upper back pain which has now moved around to the side (never found the cause of this) I've been much more myself and more or less back to normal.

Until last night that is ;) It was a long day yesterday I admit, my father in laws funeral. Last night we all went out to dinner, I enjoyed the meal (mushroom and sweet pepper risotto in case you wandered :lol: ) Anyhow, very suddenly afterwards I felt sick and faint, I knew I was going to pass out...everything went black, but I manged to lie down on the ground outside the restaurant and raise my legs (I expect people thought I was drunk)!! I felt really sick and was in a cold sweat, urgh it was awful. This time though I stayed there until I felt a bit better, I was so scared of having another seizure. It bought it all back to me, I was so upset. I felt really sick after too but it passed and I slept well. Today I feel a little shakey but ok. I'm just scared stiff I am going to be ill again :mellow: I was just starting to trust my body again now I'm back to square one.

Bloody hell thats bad!

Gotta say that doesn't sound at all normal for someone post op (erm not in the sex change way lol).

Surely they've fucked up somehow and thats what's causing your problems?

Have you tried getting a 2nd opinion? Maybe tried going private?

If you could find the cause of your problems, and it was caused by botched surgery then you would be owed mega bucks in compensation!

Hiya. Yeah Ive had so many tests...I've gone private too. Its so demoralising when they cant find whats wrong with you. At times I nearly gave up going to see any docs in the end. The only irregular thing my bloods keep showing is a high ESR rate. Which in itself tells them nothing.

Well most of you know I was very ill last year. Very briefly I had a small day surgery op for carpal tunnel syndrome but the following day I fainted then after had a full on seizure. After some tests it was just thought to have been caused by a sudden drop in my BP. After that though I was very ill, I had so many symptoms it was almost unbelievable and extremely scary! For 3 months I woke up feeling sick and urging. I had lightheadness, racing heart, weakness, a tremor in my legs, gastro problems including a vile taste in my mouth all the time and chronic pain inbetween my shoulders blades which was put down to irritation of the esophagus.... I lost weight, I looked and felt completely shit. I got pneumonia, then several weeks later I got pelvic inflammatory disease....though I still had all the same basic symptoms all the way through those 6 months. The cause was never really found despite several trips to hospital and various tests. I just thanked god I started to feel better and went back to work at Christmas. Apart from the upper back pain which has now moved around to the side (never found the cause of this) I've been much more myself and more or less back to normal.

Until last night that is ;) It was a long day yesterday I admit, my father in laws funeral. Last night we all went out to dinner, I enjoyed the meal (mushroom and sweet pepper risotto in case you wandered :lol: ) Anyhow, very suddenly afterwards I felt sick and faint, I knew I was going to pass out...everything went black, but I manged to lie down on the ground outside the restaurant and raise my legs (I expect people thought I was drunk)!! I felt really sick and was in a cold sweat, urgh it was awful. This time though I stayed there until I felt a bit better, I was so scared of having another seizure. It bought it all back to me, I was so upset. I felt really sick after too but it passed and I slept well. Today I feel a little shakey but ok. I'm just scared stiff I am going to be ill again :mellow: I was just starting to trust my body again now I'm back to square one.

:unsure:...that sounds awful. My mother had a similar issue with lightheadedness racing heart and fainting. turns out her heart would start to palpatate and speed up to the point where it was beating too fast to pump blood, so she'd faint her heart would slow down and she'd wake up. she was an emergency room nurse (now retired) so it could have been stress ,and it happened a couple of times at work. not sure if its the same thing but, thought i'd mention it. hope you feel better, she was off for a bit with some heart meds but now seems to be fine but she still doesn't drink caffienated coffe or tea any more just in case.

I had several occasions when my heart beat too fast and wouldnt calm down. They were reluctant to start me on Beta Blockers, which was a road I really didnt want to go down. All my ECG's were fine. I had a 24 hour heart monitor but by then of course all was back to normal!!

Bloody hell thats bad!

Gotta say that doesn't sound at all normal for someone post op (erm not in the sex change way lol).

If you could find the cause of your problems, and it was caused by botched surgery then you would be owed mega bucks in compensation!

Hiya. Yeah Ive had so many tests...I've gone private too. Its so demoralising when they cant find whats wrong with you. At times I nearly gave up going to see any docs in the end. The only irregular thing my bloods keep showing is a high ESR rate. Which in itself tells them nothing.

Thats a real shame nothing's really been diagnosed!

Have you tried alternative medicine and practice like acupuncture etc?

Until last night that is :mellow: It was a long day yesterday I admit, my father in laws funeral. Last night we all went out to dinner, I enjoyed the meal (mushroom and sweet pepper risotto in case you wandered ;) ) Anyhow, very suddenly afterwards I felt sick and faint, I knew I was going to pass out...everything went black, but I manged to lie down on the ground outside the restaurant and raise my legs (I expect people thought I was drunk)!! I felt really sick and was in a cold sweat, urgh it was awful. This time though I stayed there until I felt a bit better, I was so scared of having another seizure. It bought it all back to me, I was so upset. I felt really sick after too but it passed and I slept well. Today I feel a little shakey but ok. I'm just scared stiff I am going to be ill again :unsure: I was just starting to trust my body again now I'm back to square one.

Bloody hell thats bad!

No, I confess I havent. Its difficult because over those 6months I had so many different problems and symptoms in various parts of my body!! I mean, where would I start with alternative meds??!

I have been pretty much back to normal since December really so I just thanked my lucky stars I was better, but now after what happened the other night I am on edge. I just don't trust my body any more, I wander whats in store next!

What a lot of crips we all are on here :lol:

Until last night that is :mellow: It was a long day yesterday I admit, my father in laws funeral. Last night we all went out to dinner, I enjoyed the meal (mushroom and sweet pepper risotto in case you wandered ;) ) Anyhow, very suddenly afterwards I felt sick and faint, I knew I was going to pass out...everything went black, but I manged to lie down on the ground outside the restaurant and raise my legs (I expect people thought I was drunk)!! I felt really sick and was in a cold sweat, urgh it was awful. This time though I stayed there until I felt a bit better, I was so scared of having another seizure. It bought it all back to me, I was so upset. I felt really sick after too but it passed and I slept well. Today I feel a little shakey but ok. I'm just scared stiff I am going to be ill again :unsure: I was just starting to trust my body again now I'm back to square one.

Bloody hell thats bad!

No, I confess I havent. Its difficult because over those 6months I had so many different problems and symptoms in various parts of my body!! I mean, where would I start with alternative meds??!

I have been pretty much back to normal since December really so I just thanked my lucky stars I was better, but now after what happened the other night I am on edge. I just don't trust my body any more, I wander whats in store next!

What a lot of crips we all are on here :lol:

Well my problems are no where near what you've had, but I was basically unable to work for 6 weeks due to an undiagnosed condition, and I found GP's and hospital to be flipping useless. In the end I sat for days on the PC (which was no easy feat when the problem related to my vision!) looking up all my symptoms on the internet and managed to self diagnose myself. Unfortuantely there doesn't seem to be a cure, but I found ways to cope that allowed me back to work. That was a year ago, and I honestly dont think i'd be at work still if I'd not done all that research and found out what was wrong.

The NHS is so shit that I even had to wait 6 months for the results of a brain scan to tell me if I had a brain tumour!!! Luckily I didnt as if I did that 6 month wait could have been the difference between life and death!

I'm still pushing for the NHS to investigate my condition further but without much luck... but I wont give up, I even contacted Sir someone or other who sits on the NHS board and complained about my lack of brain scan results, and received them about a week later... I reckon I would never have received them if I hadn't done this.

So basically what i'm saying is dont give up and accept that this is your cross to bare. health is the most important aspect of life, and research every symptom and find out everything about each one that you can... you never know what you'll find out. And dont just stick to modern medicine... its well known modern medicine treats the symptoms not the illness, whereas ancient practices are more designed to balance out your body and make it work the way it should.

Well my problems are no where near what you've had, but I was basically unable to work for 6 weeks due to an undiagnosed condition, and I found GP's and hospital to be flipping useless. In the end I sat for days on the PC (which was no easy feat when the problem related to my vision!) looking up all my symptoms on the internet and managed to self diagnose myself. Unfortuantely there doesn't seem to be a cure, but I found ways to cope that allowed me back to work. That was a year ago, and I honestly dont think i'd be at work still if I'd not done all that research and found out what was wrong.

The NHS is so shit that I even had to wait 6 months for the results of a brain scan to tell me if I had a brain tumour!!! Luckily I didnt as if I did that 6 month wait could have been the difference between life and death!

I'm still pushing for the NHS to investigate my condition further but without much luck... but I wont give up, I even contacted Sir someone or other who sits on the NHS board and complained about my lack of brain scan results, and received them about a week later... I reckon I would never have received them if I hadn't done this.

So basically what i'm saying is dont give up and accept that this is your cross to bare. health is the most important aspect of life, and research every symptom and find out everything about each one that you can... you never know what you'll find out. And dont just stick to modern medicine... its well known modern medicine treats the symptoms not the illness, whereas ancient practices are more designed to balance out your body and make it work the way it should.

Dangerous game that.

Edited by J69

Dangerous game that.

It depends really... if I wrongly diagnosed myself and bought loads of pills from on-line pharmacies then yes... however I didnt, and as a result I was able to return to work, and lead a fairly normal life.

If I hadn't done that i'd still be off work 12 months later.

So for me it was, and still is, the only thing that has had any impact on helping me return to health.

Sorry, but that is just laughable. There are plenty of modern medical treatments that are demonstrably curative and in contrast there are virtually no alternative medicines that are. In fact once an alternative medicine is shown to work it ceases to be alternative any more, it just becomes medicine.

'Ancient practices' almost always don't have any plausible physiological mechanism as to why they should work or any clinical evidence to show that they do. There are some exceptions, for instance herbal medicines, but when these are shown to be effective they are usually purified and used as pharmacological treatment anyway.

There are always going to be difficult cases where the diagnosis is uncertain but that doesn't mean you should go running to the nearest quack.

Anyway, hope the both of you get better asap. It is true that the body is a natural healer.

Dangerous game that.

It depends really... if I wrongly diagnosed myself and bought loads of pills from on-line pharmacies then yes... however I didnt, and as a result I was able to return to work, and lead a fairly normal life.

So for me it was, and still is, the only thing that has had any impact on helping me return to health.

You can't possibly know that though.

Sorry, but that is just laughable. There are plenty of modern medical treatments that are demonstrably curative and in contrast there are virtually no alternative medicines that are. In fact once an alternative medicine is shown to work it ceases to be alternative any more, it just becomes medicine.

'Ancient practices' almost always don't have any plausible physiological mechanism as to why they should work or any clinical evidence to show that they do. There are some exceptions, for instance herbal medicines, but when these are shown to be effective they are usually purified and used as pharmacological treatment anyway.

There are always going to be difficult cases where the diagnosis is uncertain but that doesn't mean you should go running to the nearest quack.

Anyway, hope the both of you get better asap. It is true that the body is a natural healer.

Actually things such as accupuncture work by pinpointing pressure points in the body... releasing pressure and tension in one area can have an impact in another.

Take for example my knackered back. The physio started pushing on a pressure point and I felt pain somewhere completely different... I think the Chinese called it your "chi" (I could be wrong and it wasn't the chinese but thats not really important) which I think is like an energy force running through your body... now pain in one place might actually be associated with a completely different problem... modern medicine wouldn't treat it like that... it would say "oh pain in your arm? Let do a scan of your arm"

Basically what i'm saying, and what modern medicine fails to address is that your body works as "one"... and GP's etc tend to treat the body as many different sections.

I'm not saying go to the nearest quack either... my advice is to try proven alternatives... i.e. accupuncture etc

My advice was to investigate the symptoms... maybe there's a website out there with 1000's of people all complaining of the exact same issues post op? I dont advise doing 5 minutes of research and then buying loads of pills from on-line pharmacies to treat something undiagnosed. My advice would be to take any findings to a doc and present them to them, ask them to look at them and give me some feedback.

Dangerous game that.

You'd think not, but actually I could test out that theory and prove it incorrect in a couple of hours max. You see I self diagnosed myself with something called "Scotopic Sensitivity Syndrome", and if I use a light blue dyslexia overlay sheet on my PC I can use it without too many problems. If I took it off and used a PC for 2 hours i'd be fucked... my eyes would be strained, i'd be dizzy, my vision would be blurred, and the screen would litterally start jumping around in my vision. If I had to do that for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week i'd be literally on my back and unable to do anything other than lie in a dark room, I definately couldnt be at work as as soon as my eye's go like that any artificial light light source makes my vision go a bit like i'm in a club and there's stobe lighting on.

So I managed to find what my problem was, and a work around to allow me to continue working and pay my bills. However to this day I still don't know what made me be perfectly "normal" one day, and then to wake up the next completely fucked.

I have my own theories and am trying to persuade the docs to send me for the tests I think I need... rather than just saying "oh well its just something you'll have to live with" like the last time I went!!! :lol:

Actually things such as accupuncture work by pinpointing pressure points in the body... releasing pressure and tension in one area can have an impact in another.

Take for example my knackered back. The physio started pushing on a pressure point and I felt pain somewhere completely different... I think the Chinese called it your "chi" (I could be wrong and it wasn't the chinese but thats not really important) which I think is like an energy force running through your body... now pain in one place might actually be associated with a completely different problem... modern medicine wouldn't treat it like that... it would say "oh pain in your arm? Let do a scan of your arm"

Basically what i'm saying, and what modern medicine fails to address is that your body works as "one"... and GP's etc tend to treat the body as many different sections.

I'm not saying go to the nearest quack either... my advice is to try proven alternatives... i.e. accupuncture etc

My advice was to investigate the symptoms... maybe there's a website out there with 1000's of people all complaining of the exact same issues post op? I dont advise doing 5 minutes of research and then buying loads of pills from on-line pharmacies to treat something undiagnosed. My advice would be to take any findings to a doc and present them to them, ask them to look at them and give me some feedback.

Accupuncture is based on unfounded principles. These 'energies' the chinese refer to are not detectable using any known technology, belief in them is akin to belief in the supernatural (contrast this with the massive amount of knowledge western medicine has accumulated on the nervous system). How do you think the chinese found out about these undetectable energies? Post mortems were forbidden in their culture which is why they never found out about stuff that really does exist - the nervous system, the cardiovascular system etc. Also, plenty of trials have shown it doesn't matter where you place the needles, and plenty of others have shown accupuncture is no more effective than sham accupuncture (where fake needles are used). In short, there is no plauible reason to believe accupuncture is effective.

Why does it seem to work then? Two reasons - the placebo effect and regression to mean. That is, you believe in it so it makes you feel better, and you would have got better anyway as the body naturally healed itself. If it makes you feel better, then good luck, but ten years of research I've done on subjects like this have convinced me there is nothing in acupuncture or any other alternative treatments.

Dangerous game that.

You'd think not, but actually I could test out that theory and prove it incorrect in a couple of hours max. You see I self diagnosed myself with something called "Scotopic Sensitivity Syndrome", and if I use a light blue dyslexia overlay sheet on my PC I can use it without too many problems. If I took it off and used a PC for 2 hours i'd be fucked... my eyes would be strained, i'd be dizzy, my vision would be blurred, and the screen would litterally start jumping around in my vision. If I had to do that for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week i'd be literally on my back and unable to do anything other than lie in a dark room, I definately couldnt be at work as as soon as my eye's go like that any artificial light light source makes my vision go a bit like i'm in a club and there's stobe lighting on.

So I managed to find what my problem was, and a work around to allow me to continue working and pay my bills. However to this day I still don't know what made me be perfectly "normal" one day, and then to wake up the next completely fucked.

I have my own theories and am trying to persuade the docs to send me for the tests I think I need... rather than just saying "oh well its just something you'll have to live with" like the last time I went!!! :lol:

I confess I've never heard of this and glad you've found a remedy. The remedy sounds plausible though so I don't think it supports you previous points. Don't give up on modern medicine though, you may need it one day.

Btw, GPs are canny useless, that's just a fact unfortunately.

Accupuncture is based on unfounded principles. These 'energies' the chinese refer to are not detectable using any known technology, belief in them is akin to belief in the supernatural (contrast this with the massive amount of knowledge western medicine has accumulated on the nervous system). How do you think the chinese found out about these undetectable energies? Post mortems were forbidden in their culture which is why they never found out about stuff that really does exist - the nervous system, the cardiovascular system etc. Also, plenty of trials have shown it doesn't matter where you place the needles, and plenty of others have shown accupuncture is no more effective than sham accupuncture (where fake needles are used). In short, there is no plauible reason to believe accupuncture is effective.

Why does it seem to work then? Two reasons - the placebo effect and regression to mean. That is, you believe in it so it makes you feel better, and you would have got better anyway as the body naturally healed itself. If it makes you feel better, then good luck, but ten years of research I've done on subjects like this have convinced me there is nothing in acupuncture or any other alternative treatments.

Not every energy can be detected by technology... there are many things that are theorised that we can't actually detect "dark matter in space", "the paranormal" etc etc... but it doesn't mean that they dont exist, or couldn't possibly exist.

So you dont believe that pressure points in the body can be manipulated to alleviate symptoms in a completely different part of the body? or do you just not agree in Accupuncture as a way of doing it?

I'm not an expert in accupuncture so i'm not trying to sell it to the world or anything... my point is that if modern medicine can't diagnose you or help alleviate problems, then why not try alternatives rather than just accpeting your fucked?

Western medicine isn't always right... god just look at our "cures" for cancer and the mortality rates associated with it! Western medicine is ruled by big companies who make a hell of a lot of money out of keeping you alive, but only just. There is no profit in alternative medicine depsite there being many more effective cures for cancer found in nature than in a massive pharmacutical companies back pocket... and that's why we live in a "pills of ills" culture.

Tbh its not exactly a well known condition, and no doctor i've talked to has even heard of it... strangely though the lady in the dyslexia support until at my work (Newcastle College) knows about it... so I think its a kind of "alternative" illness so to speak related to Dyslexia.

I think for many things modern medicine can help so i'm being a bit one sided in my argument admitedly... take for example if I had an infection i'd quite happily take antibiotics rather than just die lol. But there are still a lot of times medicine doesnt treat the problem and just the symptoms.

Haha yeah GP's are shite! I saw a physio last week as am convinced the problem is actually located in my back somewhere and to do with trapped nerves... he was the 1st person i've spoken to who actually believed there may be some validity in what I was saying. He even asked questions about my vision and disorientation before I mentioned anything to do with my health problems up there.

Tbh its not exactly a well known condition, and no doctor i've talked to has even heard of it... strangely though the lady in the dyslexia support until at my work (Newcastle College) knows about it... so I think its a kind of "alternative" illness so to speak related to Dyslexia.

I think for many things modern medicine can help so i'm being a bit one sided in my argument admitedly... take for example if I had an infection i'd quite happily take antibiotics rather than just die lol. But there are still a lot of times medicine doesnt treat the problem and just the symptoms.

Haha yeah GP's are shite! I saw a physio last week as am convinced the problem is actually located in my back somewhere and to do with trapped nerves... he was the 1st person i've spoken to who actually believed there may be some validity in what I was saying. He even asked questions about my vision and disorientation before I mentioned anything to do with my health problems up there.

Youre only young arent you? You sound like youre dropping to bits!

As someone who has worked in the NHS for a decade now, general and mental health sides, youre whole alternative medicine argument is 99% bullshit mate.

Youre only young arent you? You sound like youre dropping to bits!

As someone who has worked in the NHS for a decade now, general and mental health sides, youre whole alternative medicine argument is 99% bullshit mate.

Haha i'm 30 but I dont think I was built to last :lol:

I actually would say that about 90% of my problems are all interlinked IMO which is why i'm of the mind set that the whole "chi" thing is at least somewhat true.

Depends really... I mean I dont go to chinese health shops to buy tree roots at £50 a pop, but I do think that one part of your body can causes symptoms in other parts and not in the problem area... and that if modern day medicine can't offer an answer to problems, then why not give other things a go? I dont see the point in just sitting there accepting that your fucked for the next 50 years or what ever.

Well thats a different kettle of fish. Nowt wrong with giving it a go if all else fails. Traditional medicine should always be your first stop imo though

Yeah sorry thats kind of been my argument all along... if traditional routes fail, then dont just sit there and think that's it you're knackered, try other things to see if any of them help :lol: