FM 2006 - Who are you playing as ?

Jimbo

I've currently got games as Barcelona and Leeds on the go at the moment, with Barca I have won the Spanish double 2 seasons in a row, and I'm in my first season as Leeds, I'm second in the Championship with 30 games played.

Fannied about with Newcastle a couple of times then got bored. Won the CL since the November update then restarted. Had the PL title in my first three seasons along with the league cup in the first two. Been in the CL final the last two years but had massive injuries and the opposition keeper just happened to have a blinder each time :lol: Am just going into the fourth season with the England job aswell.

Never really been a fan of managing other teams, I got bored fairly quickly but am thinking about it for the first time ever.

Edited by The Mighty Hog

• 3 weeks later...
just started my first ever game as Swansea :)

jesus it seems impossible to get any consistency from my boys, they beat doncaster 3-0 away from home and then got stuffed 2-0 at home to hartlepool.  any tips boys?

73525[/snapback]

I find the 4-3-3 attacking formation very effective.

Balls, just got relegated as Bolton in my first season!

Signed Hugo Armeida or something from Porto B for £80k, yes thats right £80k. He scored 15 in 17 games, but it wasn't quite enough to keep me up. I'm dead confident of doing well in Div 1, got £4.5m to spend too after some fool signed Diouf.

My Wigan game fucked up ;) , now I am considering another team, might be Newcastle United might be like Arsenal for something easyish. Before the game fucked up, I lost three of my opening four didn't score ;)

So part of me is glad it fucked. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Started a new game with Chelsea, yeah I know "that's not really a challenge", but I wanted to have a good time with a team who has quite a lot of money and good players and I hate Real Madrid.

Signed Anelka £11 million, Tevez almost £14 million, Nihat £31 million, Cassano £45 million.

Sold Gallas, Bridge and Gudjohnsen all to Man Utd. Hammered Man Utd 4-1 at Old Trafford. Signing Theo Walcott and Daniel Agger in January and going to see if I can find Kevin Larsen for back-up left back since he'll probably be cheapish.

I'm looking to also sign Sergio Ramos and Christian Chivu.

• 6 years later...

I'm sufficiently bored today that I've installed FM06 on my low-spec netbook and am currently trying to get sacked as quickly as possible by taking over at Manchester United, releasing/selling their entire squad, replacing them with the entire Andorran under-21 squad and playing them in a radical 0-0-0-0-5-5 formation with a centre-forward in goal.

It's early October and I'm still in a job despite being bottom of the league with no points and a -246 goal difference. :dunno:

(I've been watching telly too.)

Under-18s, even though he's overage. Fine him two weeks' wages for no reason every so often.

Frankly I'm regretting not documenting the early stages step-by-step and making a blog post out of the thing. Especially since lord knows I can't be arsed with going through it all again. :D

November has dawned and still no ultimatum from the board, despite being out of Europe and the League Cup and sitting bottom of the Premier League table with a goal difference of -488 from 11 games.

A 46-0 defeat in the Manchester derby and being on the receiving end of a Kieron Dyer double hat-trick weren't enough to get me fired, nor was a 51-0 shellacking at the hands of Arsenal when I had four goalkeepers sent off for professional fouls.

I've tried releasing incessant positive media stories about useless players with 1.00 average game ratings, made a bid to re-hire Alex Ferguson as a scout and even issued a constant stream of vitriolic comments about Alan Pardew :lol:, but to no avail.

Late November, turn of December. Only one fan protest thus far, and so my odyssey continues.

Applied for the vacant manager's position at Torquay just to try and rile my board. Never heard back from them. In the meantime, 16th-placed Aston Villa have sacked David O'Leary. Was considering applying for that job too, but even I have standards.

In an effort to halt our losing streak, I arranged a friendly against Billingham Synthonia during the international break. Changed the tactics to a more regular 4-4-2 set-up, played our strongest XI of Andorran pub players, and duly came away with a heartening 0-1 defeat.

I shall be returning to the 0-0-0-0-5-5 and the most unskilled possible line-up for the next competitive match, naturally.

Oh, and Rooney has finally agreed to fuck off to Milan on January 1st. :first:

Merry Christmas! 19 played, 0 points, goal difference -872.

Torquay are still managerless. That's how desperate they were not to hire me. Meanwhile: a 14-goal haul for Alan Smith in his new role as Everton centre-forward.

I've also been doing some forward planning by rewarding my Andorran superstars with lucrative 10k/week, five-year contract extensions. This should help to ensure continuity in the unlikely event of my departure.

Fuck me, John Obi Mikel's just turned up in my squad on a transfer that was pre-arranged for January 1st. Apparently FM2006 was finalised before Man U were gazumped by Chelsea. :lol: Too costly to release him on a free, anyway, so it's straight onto the transfer list for £1k, into the under-18s and four two-week fines for being cheeky.

The dream is over. :(

fm06end1.png

And yes, I forgot to enter my name at the start and didn't bother to change it from the default "Untitled User" because I didn't really anticipate being in a job all the way into January. :lol:

The ironic thing is we'd actually played better in my last game with the club. Well, kind of - first league goal of the season! :first:

fm06end1b.png

Anyway, I leave the Red Devils behind, heavy of heart and confident that our patchy form would have turned around if only I'd been given a little more time in the job. :whistle:

Having sacked me within the transfer window, with plenty of money in the bank and somehow still only 21 points from safety, I have a horrible feeling the new manager might undo all my hard work and rescue them from the drop after all. (For his sake, let's just hope it doesn't come down to goal difference.)

fm06end2.png

As for the next step in my glittering managerial career? To find a new job as soon as possible - winners like me don't stay out of the game for long. I think I'll start by applying for the vacant position at Manchester United...