iPad 2

Smooth Operator

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With Apple TV, aye you'll need to use iTunes format files I think, unless you jailbreak it which I think might allow you to play other file formats.

If you want to play non Apple format movie files on your ipad though, you can use AVPlayerHD. You transfer files to it either wirelessly (slow) or through iTunes in the same way that you would trfr a file to Goodreader. It plays loads of different formats with no need to switch to an apple format.

You should use Netflix on your Apple TV if you don't already btw, it's quality.

Not available in France :( Only way round it is via a VPN and some sort of router set up. You can pay for Netflix with a foreign card and just hoy in 90210 when it asks for the post code. I may look at it but i got it mainly as it allows me and the missus to choose whatever film we want and it always has subtitles for the other one. Means paying for them but it saves around 3 hours trying to find sub files on the internet and then syncing them etc. My time's worth far more than the 4 euros the films cost!

Not really sussed out the ins and outs and file transfer to Goodreader because i use the web based email on the iPad and when i want to open a file it asks me which reader i want to open it in. So, is it obbvious from inside the AVplayer app how to transfer?

Sounds like i need to do this anyway as i have subscribed to iPlayer international and watch loads of BBC on the ipad when am traveling (or when the missus is watching the frog box).

If i've got an .avi file, how do you get that into iTunes? I thought it only read mp4s?

If you plug your ipad in on the computer and then click on the Apps tab (pretty sure it's the apps tab). Towards the bottom of that page, there'll be a list of apps that you can transfer files to. AVPlayerHD will be there. Select it and there'll be a box to browse for the file you want to transfer. Just find your avi file and away you go.

If you plug your ipad in on the computer and then click on the Apps tab (pretty sure it's the apps tab). Towards the bottom of that page, there'll be a list of apps that you can transfer files to. AVPlayerHD will be there. Select it and there'll be a box to browse for the file you want to transfer. Just find your avi file and away you go.

You know that noise people make when they've just found something out that isnt that complicated but they've been completely in the dark about but when they make it, it makes them sound a bit backwards?

Just made it there.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I'd say no. I borrowed my dad's when I was away on holiday and it was great for that as it meant I could browse the internet and watch videos without lugging around a big laptop but in my day to day life I'd have no use for it. I prefer the ease and functionality of a laptop.

It simply depends when you think you would get the use of it. There's no need for it if you're only going to use it round the house but if you plan on taking it out in the taxi with you then essentially it really is just a big iphone.

I'd say no. I borrowed my dad's when I was away on holiday and it was great for that as it meant I could browse the internet and watch videos without lugging around a big laptop but in my day to day life I'd have no use for it. I prefer the ease and functionality of a laptop.

It simply depends when you think you would get the use of it. There's no need for it if you're only going to use it round the house but if you plan on taking it out in the taxi with you then essentially it really is just a big iphone.

Its for the wife to sit on the sofa and play angry birds / bingo. Thats it. :lol:

Mines replaced my netbook, anything that requires a proper machine I have at home or at work anyway.

Use my iPad for comics, browsing, YouTube etc ( not so much YouTube right now mind you)

Its for the wife to sit on the sofa and play angry birds / bingo. Thats it. :lol:

I got given my uncles iPad 1 when he bought the 3. Have an iPhone and laptop so gave it to my mum, she loves it for Facebook and stuff since she's not ace with computers or ought. Presuming they're about the same age I'd say go fer it if you can get one cheap