Sign in to follow this  
Smooth Operator

iPad 2

I'd say no. I borrowed my dad's when I was away on holiday and it was great for that as it meant I could browse the internet and watch videos without lugging around a big laptop but in my day to day life I'd have no use for it. I prefer the ease and functionality of a laptop.

It simply depends when you think you would get the use of it. There's no need for it if you're only going to use it round the house but if you plan on taking it out in the taxi with you then essentially it really is just a big iphone.

I'd say no. I borrowed my dad's when I was away on holiday and it was great for that as it meant I could browse the internet and watch videos without lugging around a big laptop but in my day to day life I'd have no use for it. I prefer the ease and functionality of a laptop.

It simply depends when you think you would get the use of it. There's no need for it if you're only going to use it round the house but if you plan on taking it out in the taxi with you then essentially it really is just a big iphone.

Its for the wife to sit on the sofa and play angry birds / bingo. Thats it. :lol:

Mines replaced my netbook, anything that requires a proper machine I have at home or at work anyway.

Use my iPad for comics, browsing, YouTube etc ( not so much YouTube right now mind you)

Its for the wife to sit on the sofa and play angry birds / bingo. Thats it. :lol:

I got given my uncles iPad 1 when he bought the 3. Have an iPhone and laptop so gave it to my mum, she loves it for Facebook and stuff since she's not ace with computers or ought. Presuming they're about the same age I'd say go fer it if you can get one cheap

If it'll stop her bothering you then surely it's worth every penny?

Is anyone of the opinion that there are better tablets out there for ipad 3 money?...mrs pl's laptop is fucked and am encouraging her to go down the tablet route but have heard theres stuff the ipad wont do that others will for less money?...

If you read that techradar thing, the Fire sounds very much a budget tablet, and for not a lot more the Nexus is quite a decent improvement.

I think I'm going to get my dad a Nexus 7 for Christmas like. Had a mess around on my mate's one and really liked it and I think it's something he will too. He's on his shite netbook constantly and doesn't really know much about computers, so the Nexus 7 will be perfect for him.

When I was in Berlin last week, in Berlin Zoo there was a lot of people taking photographs with iPads. They looked fucking stupid.

Aye, similar thing when I was in Florida earlier this year, only they were using them as video cameras!

Anybody got any good video converting software from PC to iPad? Ideally one that wirelessly transfers the video whilst it is encoding.

Get AVPlayerHD and you don't need to convert. It plays anything you throw at it. MKVs, the lot. And you can transfer wirelessly, although only one file at a time.

If you're just gonna be streaming on wireless in the house, get Airplayer.

Edited by Gemmill

Can anyone tell me the difference between an ipad 2 and an ipad 3? :unsure:

Had a bit of a result this morning...took up with this accountancy firm recently http://www.brookson.co.uk/recommend-a-friend/ and have taken advantage of their offer of a free 16gb ipad mini for recommending a friend. I fancied a full ipad with 3g, so I was going to put it on ebay or gumtree and pay the difference, until a mate at work suggested I take it to John Lewis to see if theyd give me full price for the mini and I'd pay the difference for an ipad2. So we trundles up to the local JL this morning thinking that theyd never go for it...which tbf, the bloke was very dubious indeed, but he said "let me see if I've got what you want"...so he comes back and said "no ipad 2, but I've got the last ipad 3 in the shop and its been reduced, lets have a see if your mini scans" The ipad 3 was reduced to £404, the full price of the ipad2 would have been £414....the ipad mini sailed through the scanner @ £269, giving me an ipad3 "with cellular" for £135 :lol:

Were the ipad3's a short lived thing till the retina display ones came out?....would be interested to know...

you can yeah.

Will you actually need it though PL? have a think if there is many places where you won't be able to latch on to some wifi, or even if you've got 3G on your mobile already and can use it as a hotspot for the tablet even.