Weddings

Ally

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know if the groom is to do a speech?

Yup, all about how great your missus is and lucky you are so on so forth and a few thanks for this and that to the parents.

i can't remember doing the speech as bestman at all, learnt it off by heart a month or so before the wedding as i was bricking it, stood up went through the motions and it went down well.

Was me and another friend both doing bestman, he did first half of the speech (really laid back fella) me 2nd half, he wrote his half the night before the wedding in my house, totally froze when he stood up.

Be prepared! etc

band he had were great played the usual cheesy stuff during the evening do, but as people filtered out and left it was just our group and another small crowd of people left, at which point they started playing ac/dc etc... The last song of their wedding was "Enter Sandman" :lol:

Ive done a best man and a groom speech and the groom speech is way easier. Far less pressure to be really funny, more about thanking everyone that helped for the wedding and telling everyone how amazing the mrs is. Doesnt need to be that long either. The opening line should always be 'on behalf of my wife and i'.... Guaranteed to get loads of cheers.

Yup, all about how great your missus is and lucky you are so on so forth and a few thanks for this and that to the parents.

i can't remember doing the speech as bestman at all, learnt it off by heart a month or so before the wedding as i was bricking it, stood up went through the motions and it went down well.

Was me and another friend both doing bestman, he did first half of the speech (really laid back fella) me 2nd half, he wrote his half the night before the wedding in my house, totally froze when he stood up.

Be prepared! etc

band he had were great played the usual cheesy stuff during the evening do, but as people filtered out and left it was just our group and another small crowd of people left, at which point they started playing ac/dc etc... The last song of their wedding was "Enter Sandman" :lol:

Ive done a best man and a groom speech and the groom speech is way easier. Far less pressure to be really funny, more about thanking everyone that helped for the wedding and telling everyone how amazing the mrs is. Doesnt need to be that long either. The opening line should always be 'on behalf of my wife and i'.... Guaranteed to get loads of cheers.

Urgh, not looking forward to that. We got fuck all help from anyone and I was going to have the best-man thank the bridesmaids.

Be prepared! etc

Urgh, not looking forward to that. We got fuck all help from anyone and I was going to have the best-man thank the bridesmaids.

On behalf of my wife and I, I would like to thank you all for attending today and sharing such a special moment with us... it really wouldn't be the same without all our loved ones here.

I would also like to thank my wife's parents for raising her to be such a beautiful and strong woman, who is caring and loving blah blah blah

I would also like to thank my own parents on (wife's name) behalf for raising me to be so unbelievably awesome

Talk about how you 1st met your wife

Talk about the little things that make her so special

Thank the best man in advance of his speech

Tell the bridesmaids how nice they look

Ask everyone to raise a glass to your new wife

And thats pretty much it... presents to family are optional depending on how much they have contributed.

Edited by ajax_andy

I'll have to amend that, have presents for the family despite them contributing fuck-all.

Met the missus by cheating on my last girlfriend.

Thoughts from the forum regarding speeches before/after the meal?

I'll have to amend that, have presents for the family despite them contributing fuck-all.

My mate did and he mentioned it during his speech at his engagement party :lol:

My mate did and he mentioned it during his speech at his engagement party :lol:

Nice.

1242597-southpark_super.png

Before is best imo, get them out of the way then you can enjoy the rest of the evening.

Exactly! I did that and everyone was relaxed after and enjoyed the meal... much better than bricking it and being too nervous to eat as you're worrying about doing your speech

Not that I plan on getting married - but I'd easily rather fuck off abroad and have a quiet affair.

A sure fire way to put a stop to any wedding plans if you get found out. :lol:

I'm probably not your typical woman but the idea of spending thousands of pounds on one day is absolute madness to me. My sister's getting married in a few weeks and that was just going to be a smallish affair but the cost is still pretty high.

Did you wear a Stetson Jimbo, I'd have gone all hissy fit if I couldn't have.

Of course I did, you don't mess with Texas !

I got married in a Texas court house, it cost about $30.

I was married in Oklahoma - insisted we came back on Monday as tehy only did Dog Licenses on a Saturday

Wor lass has made me pay ever since

• 1 year later...

Bump....because the football is boring.

Just under 6 months to go and the costs are being managed well but including a 3 honeymoon travelling around America is going to cost about £19k.

Starting to look forward to it now although I think i'm being very 'male' and being very laid back about the organisation. She isn't massively organised at the best or times so this is going to be a last minute thing I can just sense it!

Anyone have any advice for good quality Groomswear? Me and my groomsmen/dads don't really live near each other so I could do with a national company where they can go into their local and get measured up etc.

Debenhams is handy for that, as long as you like the gear they have there. We used them and it meant that everyone could get their stuff from different shops and it's all on the computer system so they just turn up, tell them your name and the date of the wedding and get measured for their stuff.

Her dad is paying for ours. Result.

On the way home from my stag do now. I was handcuffed to an oompa loompa all last night. They're fanny magnets them things. Recommend it to any best men. I'm going to book one every time I'm out with the lads.

I've got two this year, going to the stag do for the first in a month's time.

Quick query, it's a weekend abroad, the best man (his brother) has asked us all to chip in for the stag's flight and accommodation. Is this normal? I've only been on one similar jaunt before and I don't remember this being the case.

I wouldn't really mind (especially as it's only £20 or so) but 1. this seems a bit unusual and 2. the stag is notorious for borrowing money and not paying it back, getting people to pay for him etc etc.

I've been on a few away trip stag dos and never known that to happen. Sounds like the stag has probably suggested it, if he's a tight arse. Last wedding I went to before mine, the groom announced in his speech that the best man and ushers (of which I was one) were all going on another post wedding stag do abroad, and he was paying for it. Which was canny.