Weddings

Ally

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems a bit odd that someone would make this request tbh... not heard of this before (no offence like but seems really OTT). There was a discussion on one of the photography forums about this the other day and the long and short is that if you go to a public event you can expect to be photographed, that's what the law states, so basically tough titties on toast.

However if someone really made that request to me and were serious about it i'd obviously accomodate their request and not post any pics other than those of the bride and groom. I'd be a bit miffed about it as my site is very blog like so it would ruin my whole set up of showing off my work, but at the end of the day you want to keep your clients happy as that then leads to word of mouth recommendation and ultimitely more bookings.

Out of interest who was your photographer? Feel free to PM me it instead of posting it in the public domain. I'll obviously not do anything with the name I'm just curious who would ignore their clients requests like that

Adamskii

Really suprised to hear that you think it sounds OTT. Would have thought lots of people would want their weddings to remain a private affair. Maybe a minority, but we aren't all looking for an OK deal ;)

To be fair to the lad we only mentioned it when picking up the photos, we've not been in touch to remind him of the chat and had a refusal to take them down or owt. Likely an honest mistake. Just wondered what his reaction might be if we did get in touch. From what you say perhaps he'd be peeved.

Adamskii

Really suprised to hear that you think it sounds OTT. Would have thought lots of people would want their weddings to remain a private affair. Maybe a minority, but we aren't all looking for an OK deal ;)

To be fair to the lad we only mentioned it when picking up the photos, we've not been in touch to remind him of the chat and had a refusal to take them down or owt. Likely an honest mistake. Just wondered what his reaction might be if we did get in touch. From what you say perhaps he'd be peeved.

I think when hiring a photographer you have to understand that their CV is basically their photos and portfolio... if they can't show people the images they've taken it hampers their chance of future business.

I also find it hard to understand why people would wish their wedding photos to be kept private... it's not like hundreds of people are going to log on to the site and start slagging off the wedding, perving on the kids or grassing the people up to the government as spies... honestly can't really understand it tbh.

I don't mean to be rude, I appreciate it's a special day and private in that it's a very emotional and special day, but (hopefully) the pics should capture what a lovely day it was and so it shows everyone in a good light.

I realise I'm probably coming across a little arsey here which I apologise for if so... I just don't understand why someone would be against having their wedding photos on the photographer's site. Might be interesting to hear a bit more about why tbh as I will probably come across this at some point and if I have a better understanding I'll be less narked by it :D

Been to a few weddings/christenings/engagements where the organisers have messaged everyone invited on Facebook beforehand to ask them not to upload photos. Thought it was quite normal. If a wedding photographer wants to advertise his business he should get some models in and pay them for being part of his promotional material...or knock some money off the price I'm paying for my photos.

I can see it's less an issue on a photographers website than on Facebook, but it reminds me of the time i went to see a mortgage adviser and when i told him where I work he started going on about all the people he's sorted mortgages for from there, where they moved, what they paid, what rate he got them etc. I never used that gobby fucker. Similarly, I'm not necessarily keen for anyone that uses this photographer that might coincidentally know us rifling through our photos and (for example) getting bitter over who got invites and who didn't. It's not hugely annoying us, we haven't been in touch to complain or owt. Just that he asked, so we expressed our preference....and he ignored it.

@LTB - fortunately not. I'd look like that painting of Mr Burns that Marge did.

Been to a few weddings/christenings/engagements where the organisers have messaged everyone invited on Facebook beforehand to ask them not to upload photos. Thought it was quite normal. If a wedding photographer wants to advertise his business he should get some models in and pay them for being part of his promotional material...or knock some money off the price I'm paying for my photos.

I can see it's less an issue on a photographers website than on Facebook, but it reminds me of the time i went to see a mortgage adviser and when i told him where I work he started going on about all the people he's sorted mortgages for from there, where they moved, what they paid, what rate he got them etc. I never used that gobby fucker. Similarly, I'm not necessarily keen for anyone that uses this photographer that might coincidentally know us rifling through our photos and (for example) getting bitter over who got invites and who didn't. It's not hugely annoying us, we haven't been in touch to complain or owt. Just that he asked, so we expressed our preference....and he ignored it.

@LTB - fortunately not. I'd look like that painting of Mr Burns that Marge did.

It doesn't work for a photographer to hire models to advertise his business as it doesn't give a true reflection of a real wedding... honestly using models, taking your time to set up your shots and mocking everything up isn't how a wedding works. Personally if I were looking for a photographer I'd not go near someone who's used staged shots instead of real weddings.

I still don't really understand your stance on this tbh... I think you need to elaborate as all it seems your reasons are based on so far is that you think it's normal to ask this and you want money for them using your pics :D

edit - they aren't your pics BTW... the photographer owns the copyright and in their contract will be a model release allowing them to use the images however they like... a contract your read and signed ;)

The wedding on Sunday involved a full and agonising 75 minutes of photographs being taken outside the church after the retro sing song inside. All the guests forced into milling around until called forward to be rotated along a line until it was properly 'balanced'.

It was boiling hot, no one had eaten for hours. The nearest pub was 1.2 miles away, the nearest off license was 1.1 miles away.

I was asking the married couples there if they thought they'd spent more time having photos taken at their wedding than they'd actually spent looking at those photos, invariably they conceded the former was true.

The photographer stayed until pretty much the very end of the do, just after midnight. I'm sure he snapped me dancing to MC Hammer, the cunt.

It would ruin my day tbh. I want to spend the day with my mates, not have some stranger all up in my grill treating me like a Moss Bros mannequin, touching my bird and minesweeping.

Fair play though, nice way to make a living I reckon.

:) On serious note, I'd not think twice about asking him to take them down considering he'd asked for your permission in the first place . He should adhere to your request out of repect as well as professionalism . You're the customer and the customer's . .

HF, I think if you've specifically asked him not to use your photos, and he has, then he's a bit of a dick. I think it would have at least been common courtesy for him to call and butter you up with "Your photos are great, would you mind if i used them on the site" and gave you some sort of choice.

Would you have a problem with them using your photo albums to show to prospective customers? I found that quite odd when we were sorting ours, mainly because we ended up looking at the wedding album of a lad who went to my school.

Aye, that's what I asked about earlier. Assumed they were his images. Seemed odd for him to ask our "permission" and then ignore our answer though.

He sent them to the venue and they hoyed them on their facebook before we'd even been to collect them too. When we mentioned that he expressed shock that they'd done that without asking, which seems incongruous now.

Think we're at an impasse if you can't see why someone might not be keen though. If I took my family into a shop on (say) Clayton Street for a portrait and I walked past a week later and my family portrait was in their window for anyone and everyone walking past to see, could you understand any degree of annoyance at that?

The wedding on Sunday involved a full and agonising 75 minutes of photographs being taken outside the church after the retro sing song inside. All the guests forced into milling around until called forward to be rotated along a line until it was properly 'balanced'.

It was boiling hot, no one had eaten for hours. The nearest pub was 1.2 miles away, the nearest off license was 1.1 miles away.

I was asking the married couples there if they thought they'd spent more time having photos taken at their wedding than they'd actually spent looking at those photos, invariably they conceded the former was true.

The photographer stayed until pretty much the very end of the do, just after midnight. I'm sure he snapped me dancing to MC Hammer, the cunt.

It would ruin my day tbh. I want to spend the day with my mates, not have some stranger all up in my grill treating me like a Moss Bros mannequin, touching my bird and minesweeping.

It was easily the worst bit of our wedding for me. But they're so important to birds so you just end up going along with it. I did specify to our photographers though that they should take as many "reportage" ones as they could cos I am incapable of putting on a smile for a photo.

When we came to pick photos for the album, we were severely limited cos after about the first 20 photos I had a face like a smacked arse in nearly all of them - the staged group shots, fuck me!

We missed out a lot of specific groups posing that most sets of photos would include because we were much more keen for photos of people eating drinking and laughing. Agree that standing about bit is the worst of the day and we kept it to an absolute minimum.

:) On serious note, I'd not think twice about asking him to take them down considering he'd asked for your permission in the first place . He should adhere to your request out of repect as well as professionalism . You're the customer and the customer's . .

Not arsed really :D

It's all the forced jolliness, and often they're not jolly people. I reckon Andy is jolly though, so he probably pulls it off. (I'm not calling you a puff Andy)

HF, I think if you've specifically asked him not to use your photos, and he has, then he's a bit of a dick. I think it would have at least been common courtesy for him to call and butter you up with "Your photos are great, would you mind if i used them on the site" and gave you some sort of choice.

Would you have a problem with them using your photo albums to show to prospective customers? I found that quite odd when we were sorting ours, mainly because we ended up looking at the wedding album of a lad who went to my school.

That's just it. We wouldn't have even asked...he asked for our preference and we said ones of us would be fine, but as he was asking, best not put our guests pics up.

That last point is exactly what I mean. Fair enough if no-one you know sees them, but if the mad bunny boiling ex does.....

We missed out a lot of specific groups posing that most sets of photos would include because we were much more keen for photos of people eating drinking and laughing. Agree that standing about bit is the worst of the day and we kept it to an absolute minimum.

Aye, it's madness all that,

"And now the bride with her work colleagues"

"And now the groom with School mates, sorry not you, you were expelled'

"The happy couple with their miserable divorced parents and anxious partners"

One massive group shot of everyone telling the photographer to get fucked. Job done.

Aye, it's madness all that,

"And now the bride with her work colleagues"

"And now the groom with School mates, sorry not you, you were expelled'

"The happy couple with their miserable divorced parents and anxious partners"

One massive group shot of everyone telling the photographer to get fucked. Job done.

Ours goes

"Ok can I have all the friends please"

Takes photo

"Ok now just the close friends" and reads off a list of people.

Bit awkward. :lol: Didn't expect it to go down like that.

I do minimal group shots for this reason. I ask the bride and groom for 8 as a max and then just quickly rattle these off and let everyone get back to their drinking and having fun... the group shots are largely pointless except maybe one or 2, but the candid shots of people drinking, laughing and enjoying themselves are what tells the story of the day. It's those that I want to get so as I said I get the couple to give me a very short list and it gets done quickly and without fuss.

I once had a bride send me a list of 60 odd group shots. I sent it back and said 'try again'. I reckon 8 group shots takes about 15 mins... anymore than that and it's just wasting the time the couple have to enjoy their wedding.

Ours goes

"Ok can I have all the friends please"

Takes photo

"Ok now just the close friends" and reads off a list of people.

Bit awkward. :lol: Didn't expect it to go down like that.

:lol: Nay shame!

I do minimal group shots for this reason. I ask the bride and groom for 8 as a max and then just quickly rattle these off and let everyone get back to their drinking and having fun... the group shots are largely pointless except maybe one or 2, but the candid shots of people drinking, laughing and enjoying themselves are what tells the story of the day. It's those that I want to get so as I said I get the couple to give me a very short list and it gets done quickly and without fuss.

I once had a bride send me a list of 60 odd group shots. I sent it back and said 'try again'. I reckon 8 group shots takes about 15 mins... anymore than that and it's just wasting the time the couple have to enjoy their wedding.

Well done Andy, I'll carry you forward to stage 2.

Aye, that's what I asked about earlier. Assumed they were his images. Seemed odd for him to ask our "permission" and then ignore our answer though.

He sent them to the venue and they hoyed them on their facebook before we'd even been to collect them too. When we mentioned that he expressed shock that they'd done that without asking, which seems incongruous now.

Think we're at an impasse if you can't see why someone might not be keen though. If I took my family into a shop on (say) Clayton Street for a portrait and I walked past a week later and my family portrait was in their window for anyone and everyone walking past to see, could you understand any degree of annoyance at that?

At the end of the day if he asked and you said 'just the pics of us, not the guests' he should have gone with what you said. He;s made a rod for his own back really by asking you in the 1st place.

I can see what you're saying about a portrait in a window on Clayton Street due to how many people walk by there, but on a photographer's website? How many people are going to be snooping on there that you know? Like I said just seems a bit OTT to me, but they are your wishes so he should have respected them. On his side of things you should have asked for an ammendment in the contract at the start though so this issue was avoided from the outset.

I actually take an image from the pre-wedding shoot, make 60 business cards out of it with the URL of where the couple's images will be once they have their own copy and then hand these out to every day guest. Seems to get a good reaction as everyone wants to see the pics of the day and it means the couple don't have to e-mail them to everyone or post them all on facebook

It's all the forced jolliness, and often they're not jolly people. I reckon Andy is jolly though, so he probably pulls it off. (I'm not calling you a puff Andy)

Haha that's ok I wouldn't have thought you were implying that :D

Yeah I get on really well with all my clients and we have a laugh and it's all really laid back and fun... I think it's probably one of my better skills tbh as I'm not stuffy or rude to anyone and I even get on well with the guests and family members which makes the job a lot easier.

At the end of the day if he asked and you said 'just the pics of us, not the guests' he should have gone with what you said. He;s made a rod for his own back really by asking you in the 1st place.

I can see what you're saying about a portrait in a window on Clayton Street due to how many people walk by there, but on a photographer's website? How many people are going to be snooping on there that you know? Like I said just seems a bit OTT to me, but they are your wishes so he should have respected them. On his side of things you should have asked for an ammendment in the contract at the start though so this issue was avoided from the outset.

I actually take an image from the pre-wedding shoot, make 60 business cards out of it with the URL of where the couple's images will be once they have their own copy and then hand these out to every day guest. Seems to get a good reaction as everyone wants to see the pics of the day and it means the couple don't have to e-mail them to everyone or post them all on facebook

Like i say, we weren't that fussed that we would alter T&C's...or actually give him a ring now :D