Weddings

Ally

Those who are married, how much did your wedding cost?

Just booked our venue for November 2012, my estimate is about £12k.....and we were trying to make it a cheap one! :lol:

Edited by Ally

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All depends on how many guests you have and the chosen venue. Churches cost a fortune these days as do receptions. Also are you having an afternoon reception then a evening one? Maybes you could combine the two. You could save money by say doing the flowers yourself or getting a friend to. Same with photographer- as how many photos do you actually need of the big day! Things like wedding invitations you could make yourself.

Everyone have their own ideas on how they want their wedding day to be. I for example would be horrified if I spent a ridiculous amount on a dress but that's just me for some people they would not think twice about spending a grand on it. I'm getting married next year too and am trying to keep my costs down to under £4k or even lower if possible! I'd rather spend all the money going on holiday somewhere!

Those who are married, how much did your wedding cost?

Just booked our venue for November 2012, my estimate is about £12k.....and we were trying to make it a cheap one! :lol:

not a very wise move, a month before it all ends

save your 12k

I wouldn't save it if the world was ending in a months time, I'd do the opposite and spend double on a lavish wedding that'll impress everyone since you'll never have to pay it off.

Not that I plan on getting married - but I'd easily rather fuck off abroad and have a quiet affair.

I've always said that. I just hate being the centre of attention, and fuckin hell best behaviour 200 guests, paying an absolute fortune for one day, would be much nicer having close family and few select friends somewhere like the Cayman Islands or Barbados. That said I think a registry office job would be awful like, might as well get married by email as dee that.

When me sister got married it cost them £56,000, and I thought you total mugs, was a lush day like to be fair, was in the Royal Naval College in Greenwich so you couldn't get much better anywhere in this country really, but it was over the top too. The day time do where the scran and speeches were and the neet time do were in the same place but like different huge rooms, four of my mates were there, cos they know me sister very well through all their life, and after the church we were like "aye drink", I was supposed to be usher but fuck that, I fucked off to the do place in the first car. Got there and tried to get a bottle of Champagne to pass round, there were like 400 bottles of £80 a bottle champagne, and there was two people there just to pour your champagne. I says to WM how much does it cost for these just pouring your drinks. "For corkage? 900 pounds", I gans 900 quid!!! For pouring champagne, I would've done it for £700. So anyway although that was a lush day I'd rather go abroad like Jonny says than waste 50 odd grand on one day, or even 15 grand like me mates wedding was seems a hell of a lot.

Not arsed about weddings and like Stevie, I'd hate to be centre of attention for a whole day. However, I know it's pretty much up to her, isn't it. If she decides she wants a lavish celebration, that's what we'd aim for.

Not arsed about weddings and like Stevie, I'd hate to be centre of attention for a whole day. However, I know it's pretty much up to her, isn't it. If she decides she wants a lavish celebration, that's what we'd aim for.

:lol: Fuck right off.

Not the Whole day.

Y know these 'wedding planner' gigs - what kinda cost do they charge for their services out of interest?

I know its a 'how long's a piece of string' question but do they charge a set fee or is it worked as a percentage of overall spend ?

Either way, seems like money for old rope t me - can't be that complicated that you've gotta pay some Poppy n Flossy types to have your eyes out. !?

Not the Whole day.

Aye, you'd have one of them week long Indian doo-dahs so you could really fucking milk it!

When Mrs. Fist and I got hitched, it started out planned as a big church/reception type affair- which filled me with Fear and Loathing.

Venues were inspected, invitations and table shite looked at, she loved it and I just kept schtum and said "Whatever you want, have it".

As the guest list grew, and topped 300, she started having misgivings , which grew into serious doubts after we went to a couple of friend's weddings which , though lavish, looked like utter torture for the couples being wed.

We'd planned to marry in June/July of 1999, but towards mid August of 1998, when the planning was in full swing, she said to me " I don't want any of this shit, let's book the registry office and just bugger off afterwards".

I knew beyond any doubt right there then that She was the One. :lol:

We booked the Civic centre for a fortnight later, invited our immediate family and closest friends, and by 5 o'clock on my wedding day, I was sitting next to my new wife , by a waterfall in the Lakes.

( Our honeymoon was ,wedding night in plush country hotel, then a week in a ridiculously luxurious cottage in the Western Lakes).

Cost us a couple of grand, as opposed to probably ten times that at least for the original plan.

Tbh it wasn't about saving money though, more about a stress free, fun day for us.

We were looking at venues (castles at the like around Northumberland) and "trying" to make the invite list. Like many, in the end we fucked off to Miami and got married there, just took 4 family members, had them, for 5 days then jumped to St Lucia for our honeymoon. Cant recall the cost, but I think was 6-7K all in. Then had a bash at the Copthorne on the Quayside when we got back for everyone else.

When Mrs. Fist and I got hitched, it started out planned as a big church/reception type affair- which filled me with Fear and Loathing.

Venues were inspected, invitations and table shite looked at, she loved it and I just kept schtum and said "Whatever you want, have it".

As the guest list grew, and topped 300, she started having misgivings , which grew into serious doubts after we went to a couple of friend's weddings which , though lavish, looked like utter torture for the couples being wed.

We'd planned to marry in June/July of 1999, but towards mid August of 1998, when the planning was in full swing, she said to me " I don't want any of this shit, let's book the registry office and just bugger off afterwards".

I knew beyond any doubt right there then that She was the One. :lol:

We booked the Civic centre for a fortnight later, invited our immediate family and closest friends, and by 5 o'clock on my wedding day, I was sitting next to my new wife , by a waterfall in the Lakes.

( Our honeymoon was ,wedding night in plush country hotel, then a week in a ridiculously luxurious cottage in the Western Lakes).

Cost us a couple of grand, as opposed to probably ten times that at least for the original plan.

Tbh it wasn't about saving money though, more about a stress free, fun day for us.

I didn't mean all registry office do's I'd imagine it was nice in the Civic btw. Sounds lush the way you did it.

Got married at N Shields registry, photos on the square outside (think it's moved now)

reception at The Grand in Tynemouth, no disco, just a good meal and a piss up all afternoon, was about 50-60 guests I think. Still too big imo.

Was about £3.5k iirc, in 1997.

Not the Whole day.

Aye, you'd have one of them week long Indian doo-dahs so you could really fucking milk it!

gan stuff yorsel in a bin :icon_lol:

Not the Whole day.

gan stuff yorsel in a bin :lol:

:icon_lol:

Oooo, you're so........common :lol:

Not the Whole day.

gan stuff yorsel in a bin :lol:

:icon_lol:

Oooo, you're so........common :lol:

yup, I'm basically speaking from the gutter.

Planet of the Apes was justified tbf.

Good work Fist.

:lol::lol:

And don't worry Stevie, no offence taken mate :icon_lol:

Showed this thread to Mrs. Fist, the wedding/ honeymoon album is now out :lol:

Our cottage was a converted 15thC corn mill, in Boot. Our first day as Mr.&Mrs we cycled over the Hardknott Pass and round Coniston, aah, Romantic bastard, me. :lol:

Some proper cheap weddings here :lol:

Not that I have a problem with that, I think it's spot on. Most annoying thing for me about weddings is having the afterparty somewhere when the drinks are stupidly expensive. Just because they've had to pay shit loads for a wedding doesn't mean they have to take it out on me by making me pay something stupid for a pint.

And while we're on the subject of weddings, what do Ushers actually do?