Funerals

LeazesMag

Went to one on my birthday on Monday, off to another this Tuesday.

There seem to be more funerals just after winter than any other time - its strange really.

Edited by JonGoodwyn

Went to one on my birthday last Monday, off to another on Tuesday.

There seem to be more funerals just after winter than any other time - its strange really.

there seems to be more when you get into your 50's !!! Although this one today was my mates dad.

when you're in your teens & 20's it's wedding

when you're in your 30's it's christening's

in your 50's & 60's it's funerals

a couple of years back I had 5 in one year - had to buy another black overcoat......................

Only been to 3, 2 were pretty much expected the other was really horrible.

Exactly this. 2 were grandparents who'd been ill for a while. The other was a lad from school killed on holiday, that was awful and I wasn't even a close friend.

Went to a creamtion in January for an old mate I played football with who was only 38 when he shuffled off. Mind, he was doing 2 bottles of vodka a day at the end and had multi organ failure :)

They're a fact of life, but never easy. They do quite often lead to spectacular piss ups though :razz:

a couple of years back I had 5 in one year - had to buy another black overcoat......................

Well I'm mid 20's and been to too many funerals to list and not a single wedding. :razz:

Well I'm mid 20's and been to too many funerals to list and not a single wedding. :)

well, the right girl will come along one day. Hopefully :razz: In fact, weddings are a good place to meet them

The first funeral I went to was when I was 12 and it was my best friend. Since then I've been to a lot, but 5 for friends of mine that were around the same age as me when they died, which always makes you re-evaluate life.

The first funeral I went to was when I was 12 and it was my best friend. Since then I've been to a lot, but 5 for friends of mine that were around the same age as me when they died, which always makes you re-evaluate life.

5 ?

You're only in your 30's [or that is what you look]

I went to the funeral of good mates' son last year, 16 years old killed in a totally avoidable car accident. I don't mind admitting I cried my way through the whole ceremony, and it affected me for a long time afterwards. I'm not anxious to repeat the experience.

Holy fuck thats rough :razz:

I've been to 3, Grandas 6 and a half years ago which i was too young to realise which was happening. and my da's mother and father in the past year. Granda died on the 22nd December unexpected which was hard because we only lost our grandmother on the 22nd April that year :)

That's life i suppose.

5 ?

Yeah, I'm 36. My best friend was killed in a road accident when I was 12. She got off the school bus and crossed the road behind it without looking and was hit by a car coming the other way. She hit her head on a lamppost and was in a coma for a week and her life-support was switched off after brain stem tests showed there was nothing they could do. When I was 15 another friend at school was killed in a head-on collision when he was a passenger in a car. In my 20's a friend of mine died in his sleep and was found the next morning by his flatmate. They couldn't find any reason for it and it was put down to SADS (Sudden Adult Death Syndrome.) 6 years ago a friend from Manchester attempted suicide by injecting himself with an overdose of insulin. It didn't quite work but put him in a coma and he wasn't found for 3 days by which time it was too late to do anything and he died in intensive care of multi-organ failure.

Finally, the cousin of my other half contracted a virus (they thought it was meningitis at first but tests ruled it out) He was in intensive care for 2 months and eventually died after he developed pneumonia - he was 26. That was about 2 years ago now and they never really found out what exactly the virus was - he initailly had flu-symptoms but quickly deteriorated.

Miserable stuff eh? It just makes me more determined to enjoy every day, I guess.

Havent been to one in my 18 years of living, would definetly like to avoid them, but its going to be inevitable sooner or later, not unless I kick the bucket first.

5 ?

Yeah, I'm 36. My best friend was killed in a road accident when I was 12. She got off the school bus and crossed the road behind it without looking and was hit by a car coming the other way. She hit her head on a lamppost and was in a coma for a week and her life-support was switched off after brain stem tests showed there was nothing they could do. When I was 15 another friend at school was killed in a head-on collision when he was a passenger in a car. In my 20's a friend of mine died in his sleep and was found the next morning by his flatmate. They couldn't find any reason for it and it was put down to SADS (Sudden Adult Death Syndrome.) 6 years ago a friend from Manchester attempted suicide by injecting himself with an overdose of insulin. It didn't quite work but put him in a coma and he wasn't found for 3 days by which time it was too late to do anything and he died in intensive care of multi-organ failure.

Finally, the cousin of my other half contracted a virus (they thought it was meningitis at first but tests ruled it out) He was in intensive care for 2 months and eventually died after he developed pneumonia - he was 26. That was about 2 years ago now and they never really found out what exactly the virus was - he initailly had flu-symptoms but quickly deteriorated.

Miserable stuff eh? It just makes me more determined to enjoy every day, I guess.

:razz:

• 1 month later...

I've been to 3 in a month. MY father-in-law. My friend (who was only 51) and a lady I cared for who died suddenly a couple weeks ago :lol: Miserable stuff, I dont want to go to anymore thanks.