The Database

peasepud

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the issue isnt the size of disk space we're using ie avatars etc but the amount of data in the database tables.

I agree that 500Mb limit is too small but the hosts are insistent on it so we'll be moving. What we cant afford to have though is the potential for them closing it down all of a sudden before we do that.

I can and have ran SQL queries to identify threads over a certain age with 1 or less reply and can tell the system to delete those in one go. Thats not a problem

Multiple topics take up a little extra space as there would be multiple entries in the topics table and then entries in the posts one.

ie 1 topic with 10 posts creates 11 records, 1 in topics and 10 in posts.

5 topics with 2 records each create 15 records, 5 in topics , 10 in posts.

Id imagine though that as theres no way to automate identifying them then the time to find those would far outweigh the benefit.

Not sure at all whats happened with the PMs is it across the board? or only ones over a certain age?

:D Alright peasebot. Tell us more about these data tables.

hmm now theres an idea....

[font="Courier New"]DELETE ALL FROM DATABASE WHERE poster = Gemmill AND tone = pisstake[/font]

admittedly it'll only leave you with three posts where you talk about your nacking nad.

:icon_lol:

It would just leave behind a load of posts of people laughing and filled with awe and wonderment. Future generations would wonder what the words of the great Gemmill were. Ultimately 12 of you would have to step forward as disciples and tell stories about me.

I mean if you're comfortable with that burden, then go ahead, but you need to really think about it.

Does it make a difference if you have 1000 topics of one post each or a single topic with 1000 posts.

I assume it does.. Coulkd do with merging a load of threads if so.

Search on twitter in the topic and you get 6 or so threads.

Searches on other keywords would get the same results i reckon.

Facebook, muslim, ashley, shepherd etc.

wikileaks ?

multiculturism ?

Does this explain why the board has been running slowly and tripping up quite a bit recently?

Also I have noticed some of the content from my more recent PMs has deleted itself which is a shame as these were actually quite important. Fortunately I had made copies. Don't suppose there is any way of exporting PMs more than one at a time? I'm a bit of a hoarder and don't like deleting correspondence, I have tens of thousands of emails going back ten years saved so I always thought having just 50 PMs was tight anyway. Does it really make that much difference to the database size?

I think it's been said before but a lot of people would be prepared to contribute if a bigger server is required. I realise this would be a nightmare to administrate though. I can also think of some members worthy of deletion if that helps. :D

so can I.

How about removing all photos of gimpy looking students ?

It would just leave behind a load of posts of people laughing and filled with awe and wonderment. Future generations would wonder what the words of the great Gemmill were. Ultimately 12 of you would have to step forward as disciples and tell stories about me.

I mean if you're comfortable with that burden, then go ahead, but you need to really think about it.

Count me in, but only if I can watch your crucifixion

famous.jpg

made for you. :D

Also I have noticed some of the content from my more recent PMs has deleted itself which is a shame as these were actually quite important.

Just gone to delete some of my PM's to find that all of their content has disappeared :D

You're not the only ones, it's happened to me too. Have asked Pud if he'd done some additional purging but he says not. Database has been unstable as we all know so it's not implausible to consider that they table may well be corrupted.

Most of mine see to be empty now as well, including Leazes curry recipe. :icon_lol:

I've deleted most of the rest.

Also I have noticed some of the content from my more recent PMs has deleted itself which is a shame as these were actually quite important.

Just gone to delete some of my PM's to find that all of their content has disappeared :D

You're not the only ones, it's happened to me too. Have asked Pud if he'd done some additional purging but he says not. Database has been unstable as we all know so it's not implausible to consider that they table may well be corrupted.

Most of mine see to be empty now as well, including Leazes curry recipe. :icon_lol:

I've deleted most of the rest.

give me your email by pm and I'll send it to you again