Stone Roses set to reunite

Ayatollah Hermione

The Stone Roses are finally set to reunite this year – according to one newspaper report.

The Sun reports that singer Ian Brown and guitarist John Squire have "buried the hatched", paving the way for a comeback later in the year.

The newspaper claims that the pair made up at the funeral of bassist Mani's mother recently.

A source is quoted as saying: "It was an emotional reunion. There were no harsh words. It was a heartwarming breaking of bread. They had a lot to catch up on and have been in regular contact since."

A "megabucks reunion" is supposedly on the cards now, if the trio can convince drummer Reni to get on board.

Although rumours of the Manchester baggy legends reuniting have cropped up many times over the years, Brown and Squire have always quashed them. Mani, meanwhile, has spoken positively about wanting to reunite.

The Stone Roses split in 1996 after releasing two albums. Brown has pursued a solo career since while Squire has moved into painting. Mani currently plays in Primal Scream.

Sounds like a tour and some festivals. Anyone excited?

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a blatant final pay day. should have doen it ten years ago when they weren't all old and wrinkly.

that said, i'd definitely go to see them. went to the blur reunion gig on hyde park a couple of years back and that was qualty. didn't matter that they had all got a bit wrinkly and fat

the most overrated british band of all time?

:D

seriously. one ok debut album. shit sophomore. and the whole of the UK press jizzes when a rumour surfaces they're going to return. shows how content this country is mediocrity.

Mani on Stone Roses reunion rumour: 'Fuck off and leave it alone'

New rumours about The Stone Roses possibly reforming in 2011 have been quashed by bassist Mani.

This morning (April 7) a UK tabloid newspaper claimed that the band, who split in 1996, were set to get back together for gigs this year.

The report was based on singer Ian Brown and John Squire recently meeting again for what is believed to be the first time since the split. Now Mani has told NME that reports of a band reunion are false.

"I'm disgusted that my personal grief has been invaded and hijacked by these nonsensical stories," he said, referring to the fact that Brown and Squire met up at his mother's funeral.

He added: "Two old friends meeting up after 15 years to pay their respects to my mother does not constitute the reformation of The Stone Roses. Please fuck off and leave it alone. It isn't true and isn't happening."

The band released two albums in their career. Brown has pursued a solo career since, while Squire moved into painting after forming The Seahorses and releasing solo material. Mani currently plays in Primal Scream.

:icon_lol:

seriously. one ok debut album. shit sophomore. and the whole of the UK press jizzes when a rumour surfaces they're going to return. shows how content this country is mediocrity.

Fools Gold was the Psycho Killer of the 90s. That one ok album was an original indie / dance crossover that turned Nirvana fans into ravers. Holds great cultural significance in this country, ask anyone my age :D

I agree about the point about mediocrity as that's all you could expect from them today if they did reform.

:icon_lol:

Fools Gold was the Psycho Killer of the 90s. That one ok album was an original indie / dance crossover that turned Nirvana fans into ravers. Holds great cultural significance in this country, ask anyone my age :D

I agree about the point about mediocrity as that's all you could expect from them today if they did reform.

The Stone Roses was released about 3 years before Nevermind....it was more like turning Dinosaur Jr fans into ravers :icon_lol:

I saw them play their last ever gig with the "classic" line up in a big top on Glasgow Green and Brown's vocals were shocking...went to see his "greatest hits" solo tour a few years back and nowt had changed....doesn't matter, the eponomous album is still the best thing I've ever heard, 22 years after it was released. Doubt if the four of them will tour, Reni almost certainly won't and anyone else will make it a bit like the Reading festival fuckin pantomine in the mid 90s.

Did Curt sleep on your couch?....they stayed with fans on their early tours across here apparently, a lad I know who was on the comittee at Portsmouth uni students union back then had them round his for the night. Said they were like quireboys, washed up and cleaned his mingin student flat in the morning :D

Fuck all the haters, best band this country has ever produced.

Changed the game, Second Coming is almost on a par with the first album to me.

Half hope this is all bullshit as it appears to be as it would cheapen what they were and what they mean to people now.

Saw them in Sheffield and aye Ian Brown live was poor vocally but for me personally didn't spoil anything.I

Edited by Smooth Operator