Knowledge

Christmas Tree

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

75 out of 81. Serbia and Montenegro is a trick one, and who's ever heard of "Dutch East Indies" anyone who says they got that is a liar.

I got that. <_<

Whereas I was rubbish at that - 79 and missed some absolute sitters.

I read an article a while back on modern education that suggested that due to resources like Wikipedia and smartphones, that all human knowledge is theoretically available to everyone. Therefore, education should no longer attempt to build knowledge of facts and memorised information but to build the analytical capabilities required to process it. Not sure I completely agree but interesting way of looking at it.

I think that some folks just "activate" their memory differently than others. I remember all kinds of random-ass facts, sounds like a lot of y'all do too. My wife can't. We've been together like 13 years now and up until we had the kiddo, we watched a TON of movies. My brain categorizes all that kind of shit- I can tell you who produced what and who directed that. It's not something I try to do exactly, and by the same token, she doesn't try not to. I can and she can't. She'd like to- she hates it that I always beat her at Scene It and Jeopardy and shit like that, so she's trying, she just can't.

On the other hand, she can tell me three things to get at the store, and if she mentions a fourth, I'll forget one of those four things almost guaranteed. Generally, I've forgotten it before I even get out of our subdivision. It's like, I'll be saying to myself the items over and over, trying to remember, but as soon as I stop saying them, one of them is probably gone. And I mean we get in like fights about that, because it's horribly annoying, so it's not like I don't give a shit or whatever, just for some reason, I can't remember things people tell me very well. If it's something I see, like in a book or a list I make, I can remember that, but if it's just audio, I usually don't.

I think that some folks just "activate" their memory differently than others. I remember all kinds of random-ass facts, sounds like a lot of y'all do too. My wife can't. We've been together like 13 years now and up until we had the kiddo, we watched a TON of movies. My brain categorizes all that kind of shit- I can tell you who produced what and who directed that. It's not something I try to do exactly, and by the same token, she doesn't try not to. I can and she can't. She'd like to- she hates it that I always beat her at Scene It and Jeopardy and shit like that, so she's trying, she just can't.

On the other hand, she can tell me three things to get at the store, and if she mentions a fourth, I'll forget one of those four things almost guaranteed. Generally, I've forgotten it before I even get out of our subdivision. It's like, I'll be saying to myself the items over and over, trying to remember, but as soon as I stop saying them, one of them is probably gone. And I mean we get in like fights about that, because it's horribly annoying, so it's not like I don't give a shit or whatever, just for some reason, I can't remember things people tell me very well. If it's something I see, like in a book or a list I make, I can remember that, but if it's just audio, I usually don't.

<_<:lol: I have this image of a typical Hollywood-style American argument taking place after Cid comes back from the 'grocery store' having forgotten the mayo. Cups, ashtrays, pans getting hurled across the room at Cid, with Mrs Cid ending up sitting in a chair in the corner, wearing her checky shirt and tight pedal pushers, her bleached blonde hear all over the shop, in floods of tears and mascara running down her face. And all because Cid forgot the fuckin' mayo!! :lol:

The first bit about 'activating' one's memory is a strange one. It reminds me of something that happened to me 20+ years ago. I work away, and for donkey's years the only football info I got was from BBC World Service on a Saturday afternoon. Anyway, one Saturday I listened to the classified results, as normal. About half an hour later I was sitting with a colleague when he asked how Newcastle had got on. So I told him the result. He then asked about another team. I told him their result and also who they had been playing and if they had been at home or away. He then asked about random teams through all four divisions and for some strange reason I had 'activated' my brain and could tell him the scores and if they had been at home or away, without any problem. So I guess that your comment about folk being able to subconsciously 'activate' their mind when tuning into something they like is a valid one. Whether that diminishes with age I don't know, as I'm not sure if I could do what I did all those years ago now - probably not, Derek <_<

75 out of 81. Serbia and Montenegro is a trick one, and who's ever heard of "Dutch East Indies" anyone who says they got that is a liar.

I got that. <_<

Whereas I was rubbish at that - 79 and missed some absolute sitters.

S&M ain't even a country anymore, Montenegro became independent in 2006.

Aye, but they played in the World Cup under that name, which is what the quiz wants (see also Yugoslavia, East Germany, the aforementioned Dutch East Indies etc.). Obviously it's a bit of a grey area since Serbia is the legal successor to S&M, 91 to 03-era "Yugoslavia" and so on, but then officially there was no such thing as West Germany either.

Edited by Meenzer

If you enjoy reading about a subject then you will take it in easier.

I tell you something else I don't know how I know but I do. I can tell you how rich most of medium to large countries are in terms of GDP. Like I know we moan on here about the UK, but comparatively speaking we're wealthy cunts in this country.

It wasn't bad until she started collecting vintage cast iron cookware... ;)

I'm telling you though- there's something to memory activation. I can remember how one of my guys here at yhe plant went about making a repair that I wasn't even here for, but I'll forget completely the list for the store. And BTW, what's worse about the whole store deal is I don't think I've forgotten anything. It's not like I'm wandering thr aisles trying to jog my memory- I get items A,B, and D and then I'm outta there. It's not until i get home and she says, "Where's item C?" That I realize that I'm screwed.

<_<:lol: I have this image of a typical Hollywood-style American argument taking place after Cid comes back from the 'grocery store' having forgotten the mayo. Cups, ashtrays, pans getting hurled across the room at Cid, with Mrs Cid ending up sitting in a chair in the corner, wearing her checky shirt and tight pedal pushers, her bleached blonde hear all over the shop, in floods of tears and mascara running down her face. And all because Cid forgot the fuckin' mayo!! :lol:

The first bit about 'activating' one's memory is a strange one. It reminds me of something that happened to me 20+ years ago. I work away, and for donkey's years the only football info I got was from BBC World Service on a Saturday afternoon. Anyway, one Saturday I listened to the classified results, as normal. About half an hour later I was sitting with a colleague when he asked how Newcastle had got on. So I told him the result. He then asked about another team. I told him their result and also who they had been playing and if they had been at home or away. He then asked about random teams through all four divisions and for some strange reason I had 'activated' my brain and could tell him the scores and if they had been at home or away, without any problem. So I guess that your comment about folk being able to subconsciously 'activate' their mind when tuning into something they like is a valid one. Whether that diminishes with age I don't know, as I'm not sure if I could do what I did all those years ago now - probably not, Derek <_<