Newcastle United v Manchester United

Christmas Tree

Apologies if this has been mentioned earlier, but was the substitution of Lovenkrands and Ameobi enforced through them taking a knock or anything, emphasising we only had one other striker on the bench, because filling the midfield with 5 players only allowed ManU to push us back. We could easily have lost that because of those changes.

Think they were just both to bring on a pair of fresh legs.

as we thought. We had no other striker other than Ranger.

I thought Ameobi looked like he was going to wrap his hand in with Vidic mind, he'd had enough. Totally outplayed. Lovenkrands was typically anonymous too. He's not good enough.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That Hernandez is a good player mind, he's only slight but he narf pushed the centre halfs around. Tiote seems to play class against all the big teams which is good in some ways but draws even more attention to himself, I'd be amazed if he's still here in August, today's prices we should hold out for £20m imo.

That Hernandez is a good player mind, he's only slight but he narf pushed the centre halfs around. Tiote seems to play class against all the big teams which is good in some ways but draws even more attention to himself, I'd be amazed if he's still here in August, today's prices we should hold out for £20m imo.

The difference he makes when he's in the team, man. To think we had Alan Smith there at the start of the season.

The difference he makes when he's in the team, man. To think we had Alan Smith there at the start of the season.

To be fair, Tiotte would get into most teams.

If we sell Enrique and Tiotte we will be in a relegation scrap next season. We already have the poorest group of strikers in the premiership.

Edited by LeazesMag

I know, I wasn't saying that though.

Signing that new contracts suggests to me Tiote will be here at the start of next season but I think he will go in January as he won't be cup tied for the Champions League, etc. Won't be here long either way imo. He was class again last night. Twice the player Carrick is imo. And that's being kind to MC.

I know mate, earlier in his career Smith was a pretty decent player though, he's not been the same since his injury and even in this midfield position now the premiership looks to be too fast for him.

Did Fat Sam praise the atmosphere, or was he a prick?

Both.

He got a few "I signed him" comments in as well as dismissing the Lovenkrands appeal.

He's Fergie's mate so he's biased. It was more of a penalty than the Hernandez one.

I know mate, earlier in his career Smith was a pretty decent player though, he's not been the same since his injury and even in this midfield position now the premiership looks to be too fast for him.

I thought Smith even looked pedestrian in The Championship. I don't know if he's just lost all motivation to play but you'd have thought he'd have been able to keep up down there. Saying that, I'd be content picking up his wage for fuck all as well.

Apologies if this has been mentioned earlier, but was the substitution of Lovenkrands and Ameobi enforced through them taking a knock or anything, emphasising we only had one other striker on the bench, because filling the midfield with 5 players only allowed ManU to push us back. We could easily have lost that because of those changes.

I thought Ameobi looked like he was going to wrap his hand in with Vidic mind, he'd had enough. Totally outplayed. Lovenkrands was typically anonymous too. He's not good enough.

Tbh Lovenkrands had a pretty good game. Covered a lot of ground in the first half, getting into good positions and closing down very well. Earned what should have been a penalty in the second half.

In the second half for the most part our midfield was very poor, Barton in particular and Guthrie to a lesser extent were spraying loads of long balls (mostly errantly) that turned possession straight back over to them. Wouldn't really have mattered who we had up front.

We should though have a vastly superior first set of strikers. Lovenkrands and Shola are good enough to come off the bench but not to start - can't rely on Ameobi to be available and match fit anyway.

In theory there is sufficient cash available to move our team into the next bracket in terms of quality. Depth is another thing, but if Ben Arfa and Gosling are available all season then there's better depth than we've had for a while - making the huge and foolish assumption that we bring in at least three players of sufficient quality (two strikers and a winger). That's also suggesting we keep all of out current players including Enrique (ha!)

I did notice that Ireland seemed to stay close to Carrick which seemed to force Man U to play it long from the back. In that way i thought it wasn't a bad move tactically. I suppose Pardew was thinking about holding on to the point by that stage.

Yet the BBC headline on the TV was ''Man United were denied a controversial late penalty''.

Cunts.

Aye, saw similar headlines in a few papers. Simpson stuck his leg out and made no contact with the ball but he made no contact with Hernandez either. You could argue he was impeded but it wasn't even a good dive by him. On the other hand Anderson not only failed to get the ball but he also made contact with Lovenkrands leg and the ref probably would've given it anywhere else on the pitch. If we'd got a pen and scored it probably would've still been a draw like.

Had we got the penalty Probert would have been under sufficient pressure to give theirs I suppose! I think a draw is a fair result and for us it's a good one. The relegation battle this year doesn't look at all obvious so every point is important. (especially unexpected ones)

Lovenkrands was a penalty every day of the week. Hernandez on the other hand was tenuous. You see some given, but more often than no it isn't. It was a silly leg from Simpson though.

I did notice that Ireland seemed to stay close to Carrick which seemed to force Man U to play it long from the back. In that way i thought it wasn't a bad move tactically. I suppose Pardew was thinking about holding on to the point by that stage.

fair enough, sitting behind the far goal doesn't give you the best view of such things sometimes, we were worried at being pushed back though.

A draw was a fair result on the night, overall. Managers could concede when that is the case, and still "big up" their players and performance. ManU are one point nearer winning the premiership now anyway, when is the European Cup semi final ? By then they should just about have it in the bag.

Did Fat Sam praise the atmosphere, or was he a prick?

Both.

He got a few "I signed him" comments in as well as dismissing the Lovenkrands appeal.

He's Fergie's mate so he's biased. It was more of a penalty than the Hernandez one.

for me it was no way a penalty, he deserved the card. so topical of Ferguson to just see his side penalty claim. i cant stand him

Tbh Lovenkrands had a pretty good game. Covered a lot of ground in the first half, getting into good positions and closing down very well. Earned what should have been a penalty in the second half.

In the second half for the most part our midfield was very poor, Barton in particular and Guthrie to a lesser extent were spraying loads of long balls (mostly errantly) that turned possession straight back over to them. Wouldn't really have mattered who we had up front.

We should though have a vastly superior first set of strikers. Lovenkrands and Shola are good enough to come off the bench but not to start - can't rely on Ameobi to be available and match fit anyway.

In theory there is sufficient cash available to move our team into the next bracket in terms of quality. Depth is another thing, but if Ben Arfa and Gosling are available all season then there's better depth than we've had for a while - making the huge and foolish assumption that we bring in at least three players of sufficient quality (two strikers and a winger). That's also suggesting we keep all of out current players including Enrique (ha!)

he worked hard enough, but is easily pushed off the ball and out of the game for me. He missed a few opportunities, but maybe I'm harsh - I'm the first to say you should encourage players to have a go, if you don't shoot you don't score, better to miss the target and keep your head up than not attempt it in the first place.

Agree that Barton and Guthrie lost their way after our bright start, which doesn't help the front players.