Hatem "Number 26" Ben Arfa

loonyTOON

Trying too hard to impress the manager when he comes on due to having such a limited time to make an impact/make things happen when we're getting beat. Sure we can all agree 10 minute cameos here or there aren't the best way to judge a player's contribution to the team. Especially when he's proven here if he's given a run of games starting he'll be more than good enough for us.

Its infuriating, even when we need a goal we bring him on too late.

I think his days here are numbered, its an utterly depressing thought :(

Kagawa is having the same problem, either he gets 15-20 minutes at the end of the game when we're chasing/trying to see off the game, or he's getting his chance because we're missing one of our key players and as such isn't getting as much of the ball.

To be honest, I'd be starting him ahead of Sissoko because the big lad isn't doing enough to keep his place ahead of a more gifted footballer.

I'd definitely start Ben Arfa against Norwich, or at worst, give him a good 30 minutes.

I said in theatre thread that sissoko must be one of the best crossers we have, so often seems to get the ball on the right area with the right shape on the cross.

Aye, Sissoko's improved his end product over the last few games. Cant see Pardew dropping him or Gouffran at the minute.

I've seen several people complaining that Gouffran looks jaded. If that's the case, then he needs rotating to avoid burn-out. Yet, rotating players and maintaining form seems pretty tricky and not something Pardew has managed this season. I guess he's playing it ultra safe in not rotating the team too much and would rather players like Cisse, Ben Arfa and Marveaux rot slowly on the bench.

Sissoko is certainly a key component of the team right now and shouldn't be dropped.

I've seen several people complaining that Gouffran looks jaded. If that's the case, then he needs rotating to avoid burn-out. Yet, rotating players and maintaining form seems pretty tricky and not something Pardew has managed this season. I guess he's playing it ultra safe in not rotating the team too much and would rather players like Cisse, Ben Arfa and Marveaux rot slowly on the bench.

Sissoko is certainly a key component of the team right now and shouldn't be dropped.

Gouffran may be knackered but is still setting up goals.

I said in theatre thread that sissoko must be one of the best crossers we have, so often seems to get the ball on the right area with the right shape on the cross.

It's a part of his game he has improved on this season, his final ball is finding it's target more often than not.

Seems a contradiction to me, the claim that Ben Arfa is only trying impress the manager, that is why he exclusively concentrates on doing his own thing? It's in stark contrast to what the manager has publicly asked of him, which is first and foremost to emulate Sissoko and Gouffran with their ethic of work for the team, and then add to that his undoubted talent.

Aye, I was thinking the same myself but they've now got a ten day break in the sunshine so that should help a bit. Though we will need some form of rotation between now and the end of the season.

Kagawa is having the same problem, either he gets 15-20 minutes at the end of the game when we're chasing/trying to see off the game, or he's getting his chance because we're missing one of our key players and as such isn't getting as much of the ball.

To be honest, I'd be starting him ahead of Sissoko because the big lad isn't doing enough to keep his place ahead of a more gifted footballer.

I'd definitely start Ben Arfa against Norwich, or at worst, give him a good 30 minutes.

I was just thinking that yesterday. I like Sissoko but sometimes his decision making is a bit dodgy also. Good player mind, but he's not playing out of his skin to stop Hatem getting in the team ahead of him for me.

Might be a totally different decision though if Cabaye is offski...

Edited by ADP

Hasn't Sissoko got one of the most assists for us this season?

Hasn't Sissoko got one of the most assists for us this season?

He has (the most in fact with 5), but I didn't say he wasn't providing assists, I was saying he wasn't doing enough. I honestly, truly, wholly, believe that HBA would have provided more chances and assists than MS has. I am aware this is daft and I've nothing to support this. :lol:

Actually, I just checked some stats sites

HBA's played 899 minutes in 9 starts and 9 subs, got 3 goals and 2 assists, 1 yellow card and 3 Man of the Match awards.

Compared to MS's 1876 minutes in 22 starts and 0 subs, got 1 goal and 5 assists, 5 yellows and 1 MotM award.

Maybe it wasn't as daft as I feared...

Edited by The Fish

He has (the most in fact with 5), but I didn't say he wasn't providing assists, I was saying he wasn't doing enough. I honestly, truly, wholly, believe that HBA would have provided more chances and assists than MS has. I am aware this is daft and I've nothing to support this. :lol:

Quite right Fish.

Amongst all the fascinating statistics I'd just like to add something immature and stupid. It kind of makes me sad every time another game starts with Ben Arfa, all the fun and entertainment we miss out on. Isn't football supposed to be fun in the end? Especially a club like ours which isnt winning anything.

Completely irrelevant in the modern game I know :blush:

Actually, I just checked some stats sites

HBA's played 899 minutes in 9 starts and 9 subs, got 3 goals and 2 assists, 1 yellow card and 3 Man of the Match awards.

Compared to MS's 1876 minutes in 22 starts and 0 subs, got 1 goal and 5 assists, 5 yellows and 1 MotM award.

Maybe it wasn't as daft as I feared...

I'm not for a second suggesting I don't want to see HBA in the team (especially now that there's Debuchy to play behind him who's now settled in to the league. But I do think Sissoko's also now a more than useful member of the team.

The stage is set for him to shine now, he needs to step up and show that ability we all know he has got IMO. A good run in the team will help that, a bit of confidence is what he needs.

Is this stolen from a thread about Shola 10 years ago?