Hatem "Number 26" Ben Arfa

loonyTOON

Is this stolen from a thread about Shola 10 years ago?

''If Shola realises what he's got all hell could break lose''

- David Platt, England U21s Manager

It was a shame [ben Arfa had to come off], he just ran out of legs - and he's been sick this week - so it was a bit of a blow that he didn't really have the energy to finish the game. Some of the stuff he did was outstanding and I'm sure he's going to be a thorn in Sunderland's side, hopefully.

He's been in bed all week with an illness and he didn't have the energy really but wow, when he was on it was really great stuff.

It was a shame [ben Arfa had to come off], he just ran out of legs - and he's been sick this week - so it was a bit of a blow that he didn't really have the energy to finish the game. Some of the stuff he did was outstanding and I'm sure he's going to be a thorn in Sunderland's side, hopefully.

He's been in bed all week with an illness and he didn't have the energy really but wow, when he was on it was really great stuff.

Good to hear. If (when) we don't sign a Cabaye replacement, our hopes for the rest of the season basically fall on his shoulders. Hopefully, Pardew realises this, and he'll start whenever he's available. I thought he was very good last night, a bit more disciplined, and less greedy or wasteful. He still tried to take on their whole team at times, but I wouldn't want him to stop that.

Bloke was immense.

Think Pardew got it spot on flooding the team with midfielders rather than hoying Shola up top with Remy.

Sammy, Anita and Ben Arfa all got a boost from the possibility that Cabaye's departure is their new opportunity.

Sissoko got a boost from the feeling he could be our new main man as well, not just stuck out wide and forced to fit around Cabaye & Tiote's pairing.

Hopefully that enthusiasm will carry into Saturday.

For all of our complaints about him not passing enough, the guy can really find a defence splitting pass when he wants to. Couple of stunning through balls into the forwards yesterday that we couldn't capitalize on unfortunately.

Overall did quite well, will be disappointed on fluffing that great chance though. Showed a lot of willingness to run and do the dirty work too.

Here's hoping he can carry it on on Saturday, along with Sammy and Sissoko.

Really just echoing the sentiment of others on here but he was very good in this game. His passing and decision making was more team oriented and generally was just flat out better than during his cameo performances. That is to be expected though, which leaves the lingering thought - why hasn't he been started more? Setting that aside hopefully this is the start of a run in the side where we'll see some truly beautiful football from him. There will still be a desire from Ben Arfa to bring himself back into the reckoning for the World Cup with the only way to achieve that being through some exceptional performances for us.

Definitely worth dropping the extra striker if it means we can have a competent guy up front (I'm hoping De Jong will work as a lone striker) and have Ben Arfa causing trouble as the link.

Anita and Tiote behind with Gouffy there too would more than make up for his defending.

Definitely worth dropping the extra striker if it means we can have a competent guy up front (I'm hoping De Jong will work as a lone striker) and have Ben Arfa causing trouble as the link.

Anita and Tiote behind with Gouffy there too would more than make up for his defending.

Looks like Gouffrans going to be out Brock

Looking forward to Barfa finally starting some games. Like a new signing? *Ducks for cover*

Seriously though, I still think he's the best player at the club and has been since he arrived.

Agree with that, his best position is wide right but only away from home when teams press us and his direct style of play comes to the fore on the counter. Otherwise...

• 1 month later...