Owen - If only the fans knew the facts!

KeithJ

4 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

makes you realise how clueless shepherd was too. signing a player whose heart clearly wasn't in it, on those ridiculous terms, just so he could parade a marquee signing in front of fans 

I think that’s true, but as a replacement for Shearer’s goals the thinking was very good. He’d just won the golden boot at Madrid… 

5 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

I think that’s true, but as a replacement for Shearer’s goals the thinking was very good. He’d just won the golden boot at Madrid… 

No he hadn't.

9 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

?

11 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

No, he didn't.

Another thing you saw with your EYES, was it?

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

makes you realise how clueless shepherd was too. signing a player whose heart clearly wasn't in it, on those ridiculous terms, just so he could parade a marquee signing in front of fans 

Shepherd clearly saw it as his 'Alan Shearer' moment - create a media show for the person he believed would replace Shearer. I don't recall any other signing in the club's history to get the same treatment as Shearer and Owen did. Shearer was understandable ... considered one of the best strikers, if not the best who we paid a world record fee to sign. And plus he was coming home. 

The other point with the Owen deal is that Shepherd spunked all of the Northern Rock money for the duration of their sponsorship deal on this one signing. It was utter madness which indirectly led to the financial mess e got into that ultimately brought about a sale to a certain Michael Ashley. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Craig said:

Shepherd clearly saw it as his 'Alan Shearer' moment - create a media show for the person he believed would replace Shearer. I don't recall any other signing in the club's history to get the same treatment as Shearer and Owen did. Shearer was understandable ... considered one of the best strikers, if not the best who we paid a world record fee to sign. And plus he was coming home. 

The other point with the Owen deal is that Shepherd spunked all of the Northern Rock money for the duration of their sponsorship deal on this one signing. It was utter madness which indirectly led to the financial mess e got into that ultimately brought about a sale to a certain Michael Ashley. 

So, logically, without us buying this fat little cunt, we wouldn’t now be the richest club on the planet :lol:

Thanks Michael “ He’s thirteen!” Owen. 

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Craig said:

Owen averaged 16 league goals a season over the previous eight seasons, Shearer averaged 14 in the same period so it wasn't a totally crazy gamble. Of course this was before Owen's injury problems really started getting bad. 

1 minute ago, PaddockLad said:

My mistake he won it at Liverpool …. My memory is shot to fuck Dave, this is like you picking on the disabled 🥲

You posted this exact same reply on the previous page. 

• Haha 5

9 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

My mistake he won it at Liverpool …. My memory is shot to fuck Dave, this is like you picking on the disabled 🥲

He won the Golden Boot at Liverpool  in 98 and 99 with the lowest total for a golden boot in the PL era (18), and he shared both golden boots with two other players each year.

Moved to Real Madrid in 2004. Moved to Newcastle 2005.

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

He won the Golden Boot at Liverpool  in 98 and 99 with the lowest total for a golden boot in the PL era (18), and he shared both golden boots with two other players each year.

Moved to Real Madrid in 2004. Moved to Newcastle 2005.

I think we’re taking about two different things Dave. I’m saying he won the European Player of the Year ie “the golden boot” winner , not that he was top goal scorer in the premier league in any given season.  He was playing for Liverpool at the time in 2001. Think he basically got it for his hat trick v Germany in Munich…

7 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

I think we’re taking about two different things Dave. I’m saying he won the European Player of the Year ie “the golden boot” winner , not that he was top goal scorer in the premier league in any given season.  He was playing for Liverpool at the time in 2001. Think he basically got it for his hat trick v Germany in Munich…

Ahhh, you meant the Golden Ball, or Ballon D'or.

• Like 1

Fair play to him for winning a Ballon d'Or - but look at the list https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_Ballon_d'Or 

Numerous club legends, and icons. Khan/Bayern - Totti/Roma - Raul/Real - Larsson/Celtic

Even looking at the players that didn't get a vote that year, Michael Owen doesn't belong in their realm. (Buffon, Del Piero, Nedved) 

Sammi Hyppia got 0 votes, but will always be loved by Liverpool fans. 

Michael Owen won Ballon d'Or and nobody gives a shit.

11 hours ago, Kitman said:

You have to hand it to Owen. Just when I thought I couldn’t like him any less, he manages to scrape through the bottom of the barrel and keep going

He doesn't help himself......once or twice a year the Newcastle story re emerges and the little twat digs a bigger hole every time

• Like 2

Bob Moncur reckons Shearer told him that Owen refused to come on as sub in his final match for us v Villa. I’ve heard it from a few different people and it completely lines up with his way of thinking, ie protect his signing on fee for his next free transfer at all costs 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Bob Moncur reckons Shearer told him that Owen refused to come on as sub in his final match for us v Villa. I’ve heard it from a few different people and it completely lines up with his way of thinking, ie protect his signing on fee for his next free transfer at all costs 

And Shearer overruled him anyway. Good.

A small positive to come out of our 2009 relegation for me was that it left a lovely stain on the career of that horrible little shit. Closely followed by the fact his beloved Liverpool, who I'm told he left because he couldn't see himself winning anything more there, won the Champions League the following summer. 

I wonder how many Ballon D'Or winners have a relegation to their name? :lol: