Owen - If only the fans knew the facts!

KeithJ

Assuming Man Utd go on to win the league and Owen doesn't get another game, does anyone know if he'll be entitled to a medal?

As it stands right now I think he's had 8 appearances out of the required 10 for a medal, but I believe there is special dispensation for players who have been out long term because of injuries?

Would be wonderful if the little scrote didn't get one.

Oh he'll get a medal, like. I'm sure of that.

And then his glossy brochure will get re-done with an added colour pic of him holding his prize, with a caption below it stating something like 'Michael played an integral part in helping Manchester United make their record breaking title victory' or some such shite.

Assuming Man Utd go on to win the league and Owen doesn't get another game, does anyone know if he'll be entitled to a medal?

As it stands right now I think he's had 8 appearances out of the required 10 for a medal, but I believe there is special dispensation for players who have been out long term because of injuries?

Would be wonderful if the little scrote didn't get one.

I think the champions get two discretionary medals to give to players who have made the required ten appearances, not sure who else would be in contention for one of them.

Edit: Selected other Man U players on less than ten league appearances:

Brown 7

Evans 9

Fabio 7

Kuszczak 4

Macheda 7

Obertan 7

Neville 3

Valencia 6

So will they give Owen a medal given that he won't be with them next season?

Edited by ewerk

Actually I was wrong.

Currently, a player needs to appear in 10 matches in a title-winning season to qualify for a medal (inclusive of matches as a playing substitute):

The League Champions shall further receive 21 commemorative medals to be presented by the Club to its Manager and to such of its Players and Officials as it thinks fit provided, in the case of a Player, that he has that Season played in a minimum of 10 of its League Matches. Additional medals may be presented with the consent of the Board.

—2009–10 FA Premier League Handbook, Section B, paragraph 27. p.82.[1]

This "special dispensation", at the discretion of the Premier League Board, is usually reserved for reserve goalkeepers, and outfield players who have played less than 10 games due to injury.

Good Owen Article by Scott Wilson in today's Northern Echo.

"I could give dozens of examples of Owen being objectionable, but I think this one sums it up best.

Ahead of a derby game with Sunderland, we discovered that Owen had played in the same district youth team as Danny Collins.

I headed off to North Wales and interviewed the pair's teachers and some of the coaches who had guided them through their careers in youth football.

A few days later, I spoke to Collins, who could not have been more helpful as he reminisced about his youth, dug out a few personal old photographs and conveyed a great respect for the volunteers who had helped him as a youngster.

The hope was that Owen would do the same. Three interview requests went in to the player, his agent and Newcastle's media office. All three were turned down.

Even when we promised to ignore anything relating to the derby, and offered to only ask questions relating to his time in the same team as Collins, our pleas were rebuffed.

A day before the piece was due to run, my colleague, Paul Fraser, spotted Owen in the car park at Newcastle's training ground.

He introduced himself to the striker - four years on Tyneside, and he still didn't know who any of the local reporters were - and outlined the piece we had prepared.

"We'd just like to ask you about some of the people who worked with you at that time," he said. "Do you remember a guy called Cledwyn Ashford who managed your old Deesside football team? What impact did he have on your career?"

Owen looked Paul up and down. "No impact at all". And with that, his car door slammed shut.

That's why the booing on Tuesday night was one of my favourite moments of the season so far.

"I could give dozens of examples of Owen being objectionable, but I think this one sums it up best.

Ahead of a derby game with Sunderland, we discovered that Owen had played in the same district youth team as Danny Collins.

I headed off to North Wales and interviewed the pair's teachers and some of the coaches who had guided them through their careers in youth football.

A few days later, I spoke to Collins, who could not have been more helpful as he reminisced about his youth, dug out a few personal old photographs and conveyed a great respect for the volunteers who had helped him as a youngster.

The hope was that Owen would do the same. Three interview requests went in to the player, his agent and Newcastle's media office. All three were turned down.

Even when we promised to ignore anything relating to the derby, and offered to only ask questions relating to his time in the same team as Collins, our pleas were rebuffed.

A day before the piece was due to run, my colleague, Paul Fraser, spotted Owen in the car park at Newcastle's training ground.

He introduced himself to the striker - four years on Tyneside, and he still didn't know who any of the local reporters were - and outlined the piece we had prepared.

"We'd just like to ask you about some of the people who worked with you at that time," he said. "Do you remember a guy called Cledwyn Ashford who managed your old Deesside football team? What impact did he have on your career?"

Owen looked Paul up and down. "No impact at all". And with that, his car door slammed shut.

That's why the booing on Tuesday night was one of my favourite moments of the season so far.

I think that one that done it for me was when he done a tv docu on himself. At the end he gave his closing speech. Said he would like to do wel for newcastle and then dribbled on for the next 2 minutes about England and his horses!

He clearly sees football as a job and not as a pleasure. He has built a State of the Art Stable for Horse breeding. Spent 20 mins for the same program showing them.

EMO's such an epic cunt, he must be MVB's arch-enemy.

I'm coming round to Ant's way of thinking.

Likewise. I've always given him the benefit of the doubt but no more since what he's been about since Tuesday. No need for that comment he's made and he'll claim that it was an objective remark meaning that he'd rather warm the bench at OT rather than play 90 mins elsewhere.. but we all know what the undertone was.

A former club captain effectively telling the fans to go fuck themselves. Can't get much lower than that. Scott Parker would never do something as low as that in a million years and he was probably subjected to worse in his time here. Has a bit of class about him though.

What a fuckin strap on Owen is.....mercenary and utterly souless.

Compare and contrast his attitiude with a comparative journeyman who despite a start in life probably almost all of us can't really imagine has remained apparently humble and down to earth. And above all grateful for a few minutes now and then in a black and white shirt. Give me 34 year old Shefki Kuqi running on to the pitch today in the 87th minute like a fuckin 18 year old over that selfish little prick any day.

Joining United is Shef special

Apr 24 2011 by Mark Douglas, Sunday Sun

Shefki Kuqi was held up as the blueprint for Newcastle United’s next No 9 by boss Alan Pardew last week. Chief Sports Writer MARK DOUGLAS talked to the popular striker making waves behind the scenes

IT is a blazing hot sunny day in Benton and once again, Shefki Kuqi is the last to leave the training ground.

The Newcastle United squad have devised a game called Football Golf and, long after Wednesday’s light warm down session is complete, the 34-year-old striker is in the middle of yet another round of his new favourite sport.

The idea is to hit set targets around the training ground before the mythical ‘18th hole’, when a long-range volley into the boot room is required to finish the ‘course’.

Kuqi has become something of a master at it, but on this day, beneath an azure blue sky, he is content to take his time and enjoy the glorious mid-morning temperatures.

Who would blame him? The chance to play for Newcastle came from nowhere, and he’ll be damned if he’s not going to make every single second of his St James’ Park career count.

When he finally turns the corner to the little Press room at the ground – full of apologies, naturally – he explains: “Being a professional footballer is the best job in the world. Millions of people would do anything to get the opportunity, I have so why not make the most of it?

“I always try to respect my job. We are lucky, so I give absolutely everything in training. The day I wake up and say to myself ‘I’m not really sure I want to go today’ is the day I will retire.

“Every game I played I play like it is my last. I don’t want to finish my career and sit and think ‘I wish I’d have done that’.

“And when you are at a club like Newcastle, you have to savour every minute. Every second, really.”

The morning after the night Michael Owen was booed relentlessly by the Toon Army, it is a pertinent message.

Owen is much more gifted than Kuqi but never engaged with the region. In turn, the fans felt cheated by a man picking up £5million a year, even if he did score a few important goals.

Relaxing on a large leather couch the Kosovan couldn’t be any more different. Money, he says, was never a motivation for him. He concedes he probably would have played for United for free if they’d asked, even though he has a young daughter to feed. It was just a chance that was too good to turn down.

“When I heard, the adrenaline started going. I had a feeling in here (points to stomach).

“I didn’t want to think about it too much. When you get that excited, usually something happens to bring you down. I was buzzing inside but trying to be cool and calm about it.

“On the way here it was a great feeling, really nice. I didn’t care about the contract, how much they were paying me... I’m not here for the money. Just to play for a club of this size is incredible - a great feeling.

“But the biggest surprise - the biggest positive for me - is the group of lads and how they’ve made me feel at home.

“They have opened their arms for me, they have made me feel welcome. I feel I’ve been here for 10 years.

“The Football Golf – it is because of the way the lads are, the spirit in the camp. Everyone respects each other – it’s very important. You see that team spirit on the pitch.”

Kuqi’s low-key signing in the wake of Andy Carroll’s departure was never going to capture the imagination of Newcastle supporters, but in the Toon dressing room – where chancers are quickly found out – he has been a revelation.

Four substitute appearances might have been the limit of his involvement on the pitch, but his unremitting positivity, his good humour, professionalism and generous nature have made this modest man a popular figure at a club where team spirit is king.

“I try to be positive about everything. I think I get on well with everyone I meet, in football and out of football, but Newcastle is something else.

“It is a proud club - a great club. And the people who represent it are all so pleased to represent it now. From the gaffer to the tea lady, they have all been amazing. They are the reason why this club is special.

“It must be something about Newcastle as a place. I live in the city centre with my wife and my young daughter... Some people said to me before I moved in there ‘It is maybe not a good idea for a footballer to live in the town’ but I love it.

“People come up to me all the time to say ‘Hello’, ‘Good luck’ or ‘I hope you score one or two goals before the end of the season’. It makes a big difference – I like people doing that.

“As soon as I go out of the training ground I’m just a normal guy. I’ve been in town almost every day. I go for a coffee or a meal.

“I don’t care if people say ‘Don’t go here because you’re a footballer’. I don’t care - I’m just a normal person outside football.”

Kuqi still dreams of adding to his St James’ Park scoring tally.

He has one goal – for Blackburn a few years back, celebrated with a memorable impression of him weightlifting – but would love to add to his four starts.

Chances are he won’t get another contract after the end of the season but he will leave with the ringing endorsement of everyone at St James’ Park, having played his own important part in another encouraging black-and- white campaign.

Will the extracts be in a brochure?

The key difference between Kuqi and Owen is Kuqi has had to work to get a career in football, whereas Owen has been quite a gifted player, but taken the wages and the status for granted. Add to that the fact that Kuqi has had to flee a civil war, and you can see why Kuqi appreciates all he's got. Owen's natural ability (in his younger days), meant he got the adulation and money early in life.

Anyway, even though I don't support Newcastle, the way Owen seems to have happily trousered the daft wages you gave him without any hint of feeling sorry that he was injured all the time annoys me.

Piers Morgan vs Michael Owen on twitter :D couldn't hope for two bigger cunts to start arguing.

The thing is Morgan has something about him and has been making Owen look like a right little wanker.

Actually starting to have a little respect for Morgan ;):blush:

@piersmorgan very observant of you. Better to play 25 mins in a good team rather that playing 90 mins every week in a struggling team.

I think the little cunt is confused. When did he play '90 minutes every week'? It certainly wasn't for us.

• 6 months later...