USA Pre-season tour

henda11

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NEWCASTLE United were put through their paces yesterday amidst sweltering conditions as they embarked on their summer training camp in the United States.

With temperatures of 38ºC recorded at Sporting Kansas City’s Swope Park training ground yesterday, the Magpies were handed a double training session in the midwestern state by manager Alan Pardew.

United are scheduled for another double dose of training today at the same venue before the first match of their three-game tour in America in the early hours of Thursday morning.

The Magpies will be facing a Kansas team which beat Manchester United during pre-season last summer.

Kansas are also midway through their Major League Soccer campaign and are lying in mid-table of the Eastern Conference. United will be taking on a team unbeaten in the last five games, with three draws and two wins for Peter Vermes’ men.

Pardew said: “There will be no easy games for us over here. Kansas showed what they can do last season and are a good outfit that we most show a great deal of respect to.

“In many ways these games are not going to be played with a friendly type of leg-loosening atmosphere. They will be trying to beat us and get that scalp which helps put the MLS on the map even more so than in the last few years.

“We are looking forward to what should be a good test for us and it’s a chance for people to catch the eye again tonight.”

United included fringe players such as Sammy Ameobi and Haris Vuckic in his squad for the States.

I can tell you now it's highly likely that matches in that sort of heat will be dire affairs, particularly in pre-season where plays aren't at their peak fitness.

I can tell you now it's highly likely that matches in that sort of heat will be dire affairs, particularly in pre-season where plays aren't at their peak fitness.

Dire affairs are like 4-3 spectacles in the drought that is close season! :lol:

I haven't seen any mention of the matches being televised over here.

That's about the size of it. I've checked ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3 FSC, & FoxsoccerTV shedules and none are listing NUFC.

Haven't checked the Latino channels but somehow I don't think they will bbe showing any. :lol:

I have heard that the Orlando match will be shown on their team's website. I will post more when I hear.

Harper played as a striker for a while in one of our pre-season matches at a pinch a few years back. We had a very small squad an an injury in the second half meant he had to play in the outfield.

The strangest part was that he had a Harper XX (whatever number he was at the time) outfield shirt ready to go.

Harper played as a striker for a while in one of our pre-season matches at a pinch a few years back. We had a very small squad an an injury in the second half meant he had to play in the outfield.

The strangest part was that he had a Harper XX (whatever number he was at the time) outfield shirt ready to go.

I remember watching Shay and Harper warming up years ago and when the GK coach at the time swung a cross in Harper would try and challenge for a header. One cross was too far out so Shay stayed on his line and Harper pulled off a quite stunning overhead kick to much applause from the Gallowgate. Raker.

Booted in the teeth

ALAN PARDEW was kicked in the teeth when Yohan Cabaye saw his US visa KO'd over a dental row.

Newcastle boss Pards wanted his £4.8million new signing to get up and running with the Toon on their US tour.

But France midfielder Cabaye was initially refused entry to the States after being accused of not paying for some dentistry work completed there while he was playing for Lille.

Newcastle officials eventually got the ruling overturned - yet it was way too late for Cabaye, 25, to join up with his team-mates.

Pards, already without Joey Barton and Nile Ranger after both were refused visas because of their criminal records, said: "It was a minor incident involving a bill. He claims he paid it and they claim he didn't.

"It's one of those things but it became very frustrating.

"There was no talking them around and, unfortunately, the process was too long for us to rectify it.

"It would have been great to get him integrated with the group because he's a class act."

Pardew has not enjoyed an easy summer so far, with sections of the Toon Army grumbling over owner Mike Ashley's transfer business.

And, since arriving in America, it has not been all plain sailing either.

The soaring 95 degree temperatures are making everyone sweat while a baggage mix-up has left the squad with no shinpads ahead of their opening game tonight.

Pardew, though, is looking forward to unleashing new boys Demba Ba and Sylvain Marveaux against MLS side Sporting Kansas City, while also welcoming back fit-again Hatem Ben Arfa and Dan Gosling.

He added: "So far we are pleased with the business we have done.

"We want to do a bit more before the season starts but we have Gosling and Ben Arfa fit again, while Marveaux, Demba and Cabaye came in.

"With those names, I certainly think we have gone up a level. Now we need to keep the momentum going and bring in one or two more.

"We've definitely pushed on since the end of last year and have already been working on a couple of things out here, which have been well received by the players.

"We are a bit different to last year. We lost our captain and have four or five new players who need to know exactly how we play. This gives me the chances, being here, to do that."

Is there any point in staying up tonight for a match with no coverage?

Some blokey was saying that Orlando might broadcast it like...

The US tour is not just about the football, its about tapping into an affluent growing market. Thats why the two Manchester clubs are there this summer and thats why we are there.

Correct decision from a business perspective.