Liverpool 3-0 Newcastle United

Monroe Transfer

Yet another limp away performance. Since Birmingham we have been absolutely woeful on the road. It's relegation form at the moment, and hardly a surprise considering we don't even have a vaguely imaginably capable forward. That said, we're too far clear to be relegated this season.

Desperately need a new striker in the summer, mind.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Game over then. If we were safe I wouldn't be so bothered. Now I'm starting to get really worried again.

We're effectively 7 points clear of relegation because of our goal difference. Seriously, you're making yourself look ridiculous with this constant "OMG we're going down!" stuff.

Shoe me a post where I've actually said that I believe we're going down.

I'm simply taking nothing for granted. I'm not going to be comfortable till it's confirmed because these things can happen. Is it likely? No. But the relegation season is still fresh in my memory - I honestly thought that would somehow end well. Not making that mistake again.

It's not beyond the realms of possibility for things to go against us. It's still in our hands and it would be a massive, massive surprise if it did actually happen. It's unlikely, thankfully.

It more or less is beyond the realms of possibility. You believe that there is enough chance that 6 of the 8 teams below us will overtake us, for you still to be worried about it? We are safe man.

Obviously not one for the maths. Was probably in the "We need 45 points to avoid relegation because it's so close this year" camp earlier in the season. :lol:

What? Williamson hasn't been in a relegated team has he?

As a matter of fact, no, but that's not what I'm talking about. Did you read anything I wrote? I'm talking about your assertion that winning promotion to the Premier League somehow makes the player who did it suitable to play in the Premier League, which I disproved by citing Watford and Derby, who both went down after truly abysmal seasons that showed the players they came up with were well out of their depth.

But we're not going down, so how did 'citing' them disprove that? He won promotion to this division and has played well enough to ensure his team will be in it next season. Watford and Derby went down after abysmal seasons because their players were well out of their depth as you said. What's your point? What's that got to do with Williamson and Newcastle, who haven't have abysmal seasons (because they aren't out of their depth)?

It has to do with how you claim that Williamson is a Premier League player by virtue of being promoted. You didn't answer my questions as to whether Carragher, Skrtel or Coloccini would have committed the foul that gifted Liverpool a penalty. That's because you know they would not have, because they are players of vastly superior quality to Mike Williamson, who is not a Premier League player.

Williamson has consistently been the worst player in our starting XI (not to say he isn't better than the other senior centre halves at the club, S. Taylor and Campbell, because he is - which itself says something about our quality in depth) and is simply not cut out for the Premier League.

Neither are Routledge (gone anyway), R. Taylor, S. Taylor, Campbell (going), Guthrie, Smith, Lovenkrands or Ranger (or Kuqi.)

What a coincidence! Save Smith (a relic of Fat Sam's terrible acquisitions) and Steven Taylor (featured for us for many years, rarely looked like he was going to make the cut as a PL player), we paid bargain basement prices for all of those. Ranger I admit could still come good and needs time out on loan. The rest were brought in for peanuts and it looks like we got what we paid for.

This brings me back to my original point, which is that when you pay Championship prices, you get Championship quality, and if we are ever planning to compete for anything more than mid-table mediocrity, we're going to have to invest heavily in the first-team squad. Williamson and his like are not good enough and it showed today, as it has on many days since we came back up.

EDIT: Forgot James Perch. Another prime example of 'you get what you pay for.'

So we're getting mid table medocrity with championship players signed for championship fees? You're just over reacting because he's made a mistake for fuck sake. He's not a world beater, granted, but he's a decent player and more than good enough as a squad player. Yes, he's prone to a fuck up, but then so was Titus who played in top 4 sides and the Champions League ffs and he's certainly more stable than he was for us.

Yet another match where both teams were abysmal, both teams below par - but we miss out because the referee obviously has a tenner on the dippers making it to the europa.

Same old fucking story, theres no way we deserved to win that, but it's telling that apart from the typical '8 out of 10 times krul is in goal we will concede a deflection' goal - all of liverpools greatness was gifted from the ref

I'm still confused as to why he booked Tiote after not giving a foul or playing Liverpool the advantage since we gained possession directly from it.

Game over then. If we were safe I wouldn't be so bothered. Now I'm starting to get really worried again.

We're effectively 7 points clear of relegation because of our goal difference. Seriously, you're making yourself look ridiculous with this constant "OMG we're going down!" stuff.

I'm simply taking nothing for granted. I'm not going to be comfortable till it's confirmed because these things can happen. Is it likely? No. But the relegation season is still fresh in my memory - I honestly thought that would somehow end well. Not making that mistake again.

It's not beyond the realms of possibility for things to go against us. It's still in our hands and it would be a massive, massive surprise if we did actually happen.

So "wary" or "mildly cautious" would be more appropriate than "really worried" then? Drama queen.

wahey. Welcome back skidders.

What? Williamson hasn't been in a relegated team has he?

As a matter of fact, no, but that's not what I'm talking about. Did you read anything I wrote? I'm talking about your assertion that winning promotion to the Premier League somehow makes the player who did it suitable to play in the Premier League, which I disproved by citing Watford and Derby, who both went down after truly abysmal seasons that showed the players they came up with were well out of their depth.

But we're not going down, so how did 'citing' them disprove that? He won promotion to this division and has played well enough to ensure his team will be in it next season. Watford and Derby went down after abysmal seasons because their players were well out of their depth as you said. What's your point? What's that got to do with Williamson and Newcastle, who haven't have abysmal seasons (because they aren't out of their depth)?

It has to do with how you claim that Williamson is a Premier League player by virtue of being promoted. You didn't answer my questions as to whether Carragher, Skrtel or Coloccini would have committed the foul that gifted Liverpool a penalty. That's because you know they would not have, because they are players of vastly superior quality to Mike Williamson, who is not a Premier League player.

Williamson has consistently been the worst player in our starting XI (not to say he isn't better than the other senior centre halves at the club, S. Taylor and Campbell, because he is - which itself says something about our quality in depth) and is simply not cut out for the Premier League.

Neither are Routledge (gone anyway), R. Taylor, S. Taylor, Campbell (going), Guthrie, Smith, Lovenkrands or Ranger (or Kuqi.)

What a coincidence! Save Smith (a relic of Fat Sam's terrible acquisitions) and Steven Taylor (featured for us for many years, rarely looked like he was going to make the cut as a PL player), we paid bargain basement prices for all of those. Ranger I admit could still come good and needs time out on loan. The rest were brought in for peanuts and it looks like we got what we paid for.

This brings me back to my original point, which is that when you pay Championship prices, you get Championship quality, and if we are ever planning to compete for anything more than mid-table mediocrity, we're going to have to invest heavily in the first-team squad. Williamson and his like are not good enough and it showed today, as it has on many days since we came back up.

EDIT: Forgot James Perch. Another prime example of 'you get what you pay for.'

other than Steven Taylor, and Ranger who should be sent on loan, you're quite right about the rest of the players, and everything else you say.

It's not beyond the realms of possibility for things to go against us. It's still in our hands and it would be a massive, massive surprise if we did actually happen.

So "wary" or "mildly cautious" would be more appropriate than "really worried" then? Drama queen.

Probably, yeah, to be totally honest. The "really" was a heat of the moment exaggeration brought on by a bad defeat. I'm not gong to pretend that I am not worried about it though, as long as it's still a possibility. Our relegation was the single worst moment I've experienced as a football fan and I simply never want to experience it again.

So, match summary from Boldon.

Pretty much as expected, no threat whatsoever up front. Some nice spells in the game where we did attack but me, you and our midfield already new that none of our "strikers" were going to get on the end of anything.

Thought Jonas had a really good game and was probably the only one that I would say earned his corn today. Not sure what has happened to Jonas of late but he definitely seems to be getting better and trying to be more direct.

Williamson, we all know what a twat he is for putting hands on people in the box and the only real surprise is he hasn't given away more penalties this season.

I think our players went into this game a bit like the fans, expecting nowt and one eye on next season.

I was thinking that it must be frustrating as fuck for the defence and the midfield having to reply on those two upfront. I wonder whether the other players just shrug and hope it will be rectified in the summer or whether Shola, in particular, gets held down in the showers and beaten with bars of soap wrapped in towels.

The only good thing I can take from today is that it once again re-emphasises to Ashley what our priority is in the summer.

Probably, yeah, to be totally honest. The "really" was a heat of the moment exaggeration brought on by a bad defeat. I'm not gong to pretend that I am not worried about it though, as long as it's still a possibility. Our relegation was the single worst moment I've experienced as a football fan and I simply never want to experience it again.

3 times for me. The symptoms become easier to spot with practice. Thats a serious comment by the way.

:rolleyes: Shit, time elapsed when you wern't worried and I missed it!

You know you're in trouble when CT thinks you're mental. :icon_lol:

Interesting/telling/depressing fact they trotted out earlier - the last player to score at Anfield for us was Kluivert.

I tell you an even more depressing stat, we've scored 4 goals in 10 away games under "Pards" what a massive difference he's made eh? 4FS. :icon_lol:

Greek commentator said that Tiote's hair AND overall performance renders him "Mr.T-like".

I don't know what he'd been drinking, but I'm going sober for about 3 months now and I don't see it...