Mike Ashley - Friend of Foe?

tiote24

Just had this sent in to my site (www.nufcviews.com) by a fan - thought id share it.

MIKE ASHLEY FRIEND OR FOE:

"All Newcastle supporters (apart from me) are completely bonkers. Look at some of the facts surrounding this situation. First, after three and a half years Ashley and co have moved the club to a far better position than it was when they came. The squad is more committed (ok, whether it’s better is debatable), the finances are massively improved and we’re higher up the Premiership. Those are the facts. Football, we hear, is all about results. Look at the results. We all think he’s a nasty piece of work (allegedly) and would sell his own grandmother to the rag and bone man, but look at the results. He’s absolutely pathetic (indeed non-existent) in terms of communication and PR, some of his decisions have been truly embarrassingly awful, but – look at the results. Second, at last Newcastle seem to have some young players coming through. Whose fault is that? The little weasel Denis Wise – we need to blame him, it seems, for Ranger, Vukic, Kadar etc. What a dreadful legacy. It might mean we won’t have to waste millions on Spanish no-hopers – it just won’t feel like Newcastle any more. And what did Ashley say when he came – develop the youth system, buy young players and sell them on. Nothing wrong with that. True, it won’t turn us into Chelsea or Man U but when was the last time we were anywhere near that level anyway? Answer: never. So no difference there then. Third, do we realise that now for the first time Ashley has got his own choice as manager. We may not like Pardew (I do, as it happens – quite, anyway) but at least we know he’s the owner’s choice. Allardyce obviously wasn’t. Kinnear was simply a short-term stand-in. Keegan was the peoples’ choice, all emotion, no logic. Shearer was a panic measure. Hughton, bless him, was simply “Johnny on the spot”, a safe pair of hands who did an excellent job. None of them was Ashley’s choice. Pardew is and we have half a chance of building something long term, and even an outside chance that Ashley might give him some money to invest. Carroll? However good he is, that offer could not be turned down. Simple as that. Liverpool were prepared to take £50m for Torres, who is at least twice as good as Carroll. Get real. The only way NUFC will move forward is steadily, bit by bit. Children want it all now, now, now. Just like Newcastle supporters. Well, we can’t have it all now, we have to be patient. Time will tell whether we can believe Ashley when he says the £35m will be invested. Some are understandably cynical. But – an uncomfortable fact to some – let’s not forget he seems to have put about a quarter of a billion of his own money into the club. One final fact: every last nook and cranny of Newcastle United Football Club is his and he can do what he likes with it. It doesn’t matter one jot what we say here on this blog or anywhere else. Fact."

Interesting - what do people think?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's true that we've never been near where Chelsea and Man U are now.

We competed in the Champions League, but never got into the quarter-final. Chelsea and Man U frequently get to the semi-final.

So we WERE among the top-two in England, but we were never in the top-8 in Europe.

Ashley = friend.

Just had this sent in to my site (www.nufcviews.com) by a fan - thought id share it.

"All Newcastle supporters (apart from me) are completely bonkers. Look at some of the facts surrounding this situation. First, after three and a half years Ashley and co have moved the club to a far better position than it was when they came. The squad is more committed (ok, whether it’s better is debatable), the finances are massively improved and we’re higher up the Premiership. Those are the facts. Football, we hear, is all about results. Look at the results. We all think he’s a nasty piece of work (allegedly) and would sell his own grandmother to the rag and bone man, but look at the results. He’s absolutely pathetic (indeed non-existent) in terms of communication and PR, some of his decisions have been truly embarrassingly awful, but – look at the results. Second, at last Newcastle seem to have some young players coming through. Whose fault is that? The little weasel Denis Wise – we need to blame him, it seems, for Ranger, Vukic, Kadar etc. What a dreadful legacy. It might mean we won’t have to waste millions on Spanish no-hopers – it just won’t feel like Newcastle any more. And what did Ashley say when he came – develop the youth system, buy young players and sell them on. Nothing wrong with that. True, it won’t turn us into Chelsea or Man U but when was the last time we were anywhere near that level anyway? Answer: never. So no difference there then. Third, do we realise that now for the first time Ashley has got his own choice as manager. We may not like Pardew (I do, as it happens – quite, anyway) but at least we know he’s the owner’s choice. Allardyce obviously wasn’t. Kinnear was simply a short-term stand-in. Keegan was the peoples’ choice, all emotion, no logic. Shearer was a panic measure. Hughton, bless him, was simply “Johnny on the spot”, a safe pair of hands who did an excellent job. None of them was Ashley’s choice. Pardew is and we have half a chance of building something long term, and even an outside chance that Ashley might give him some money to invest. Carroll? However good he is, that offer could not be turned down. Simple as that. Liverpool were prepared to take £50m for Torres, who is at least twice as good as Carroll. Get real. The only way NUFC will move forward is steadily, bit by bit. Children want it all now, now, now. Just like Newcastle supporters. Well, we can’t have it all now, we have to be patient. Time will tell whether we can believe Ashley when he says the £35m will be invested. Some are understandably cynical. But – an uncomfortable fact to some – let’s not forget he seems to have put about a quarter of a billion of his own money into the club. One final fact: every last nook and cranny of Newcastle United Football Club is his and he can do what he likes with it. It doesn’t matter one jot what we say here on this blog or anywhere else. Fact."

tell him to fuck off.

I think theres a secret bunker at SJP full of paid Ashley-phile chimps, churning out pro Ashley drivel in the hope of changing public perception of him. This is just the start :D

exactly. And most of them are, so far as message boards go anyway, on NO or skunkers.

Thank fuck most people on here have enough brains to see the real picture. "Most people on here".

Forget flash photography and strobe lighting etc, I almost had an epileptic fit with that wall of text!

I got about four lines down and couldn't read anymore. I was getting the impression that Ashley = good, is that the gist of it? Fair enough, Ashley is great and I will invite him to my birthday party. Jelly and ice cream, yum yum. Then again, maybe I wont.

It might mean we won’t have to waste millions on Spanish no-hopers – it just won’t feel like Newcastle any more. And what did Ashley say when he came – develop the youth system, buy young players and sell them on. Nothing wrong with that. True, it won’t turn us into Chelsea or Man U but when was the last time we were anywhere near that level anyway? Answer: never.

We may not like Pardew (I do, as it happens – quite, anyway) but at least we know he’s the owner’s choice. Allardyce obviously wasn’t. Kinnear was simply a short-term stand-in. Keegan was the peoples’ choice, all emotion, no logic. Shearer was a panic measure. Hughton, bless him, was simply “Johnny on the spot”, a safe pair of hands who did an excellent job. None of them was Ashley’s choice. Pardew is

Seriously but wtf?

This has surely got to be Derek Llambias

Send the gormless prick this back:

5.2 The Club admitted to the Tribunal that it repeatedly and intentionally misled the press, public and the fans of Newcastle United.

'When was the last time we were anywhere near that level [of Man U] anyway? Never.'

Were you born in in 1998?

Ugh, reading that shit makes me queasy. I can't believe Ashley arselickers are now sporting the line that Hughton 'wasn't Ashley's choice.' Of course he fucking was you morons, Ashley is the owner of the club, everyone he appointed since he took over has been his choice. If he isn't making the choices, then who is? Who chose to appoint Shearer? Did he simply arrive at the gates of SJP bathed in heavenly light and announce, "I am the Messiah, come to save us from relegation," and Mike & Dekka fell to their knees in adulation?

'At last Newcastle seem to have some young players coming through...It might mean we won’t have to waste millions on Spanish no-hopers – it just won’t feel like Newcastle any more.'

How about Carroll, who came through the youth system before Fat Mike had ever heard of NUFC and who your man sold for 35m in January? Compare all of the first team players we've 'produced' under Wise to Carroll. Some legacy - Ranger is shit and acts like he belongs on MTV, nobody has any idea of whether Vuckic is any good or not, and Kadar played 2 games in the CCC last season. Counting chickens before they hatch, I think?

The only decent youngsters we've had were Bassong (A Keegan signing, despite the history rewriting attempts by Derek Boy), Andy Carroll (who made his Newcastle debut the season before Ashley bought the club) and Jose Enrique (a Fat Sam signing).

2 have been sold for massive profits, while the final one is about to be. Meanwhile Wise's and Graham Carr's youth all star team which is apparently full of young Messi's and Ronaldo's is cack.

Edited by citizenerased

From what I've seen of any of the three youngsters mentioned, none of them look like they'll make the grade.

I've lived through this bollocks from Alan Suddick, through to Keith Dyson, Alan Duffy, Ian Bogie, Joe Allon, etc etc....the fact is that all clubs have "promising" youngsters, but SO DOES EVERY OTHER FUCKER.

I despair, I really do.

Anybody we DO get, Ashley will sell them for as much as he can get. This is how he sees the club, they are just commodities to be bought and sold.

In the summer we will bring in 3, 4 or 5 sub standard players for about half the Carroll and Enrique transfer money to paper over the cracks of a thin squad of players [which will be the norm for however long he owns the club] and they will tell us its "good business". But the team wil be inferior to that which started this season.

Relegation fights, dwindling revenues, accepting lower standards and the inabliity to challenge the likes of Spurs and Liverpool, playing in front of anything up to a half empty stadium, is our future, and its "good business" according to the halfwits who run the club and the thousands of wankers who are believing and accepting it.

This youth policy is just good common sense - it's much cheaper to develop your own players. So Ashley et al are really just saying what everyone wants to hear. We'd all like to emulate Barca and Arsenal in youth development but very few clubs can actually do it.

Until we have a production line of top talent coming out of the academy - and I haven't seen or read anything to suggest this is the case in the near future - we will still need to improve the squad through signing players from elsewhere. Especially if we sell homegrown players like Carroll for a massive profit.

Edited by Kitman

I don't get why we dont send these youngsters out on loan. As a club we never seem to do this and i think thats the reason why we dont see as many coming through our ranks. I'd much rather see them getting proper game time and learning the game in the Championship down to league 2 instead of making 3 apearances on our bench all season and not getting any game time, it's totally pointless

I'm with you Leazes aswell, this summer is only gonna be a bitter disappointment, filled with false promises and shyte players unfortunately