Andy Carroll....Local Hero! O̶r̶ ̶J̶u̶d̶a̶s̶?

Christmas Tree

Carroll  

61 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just seen this.

Newcastle United have reportedly been offered the chance to re-sign striker Papiss Cisse in January.

Cisse, 34, is currently top-scorer in Turkish football with Alanyaspor – but he is out-of-contract at the end of the season, and he still believes he could do a job in the Premier League.

Now Cisse’s agents have been making enquiries and have offered him to a number of Premier League clubs, as they understand he could move for a relatively cheap deal of around £3million – and one of those is Newcastle

42 minutes ago, essembeeofsunderland said:

34 year old, £3m transfer fee and £100,000 a week no doubt. . I think it's called a final pay day with a pay off half way through the contract. 

:lol: 

• Haha 1

Carroll was good for half a season in the championship and PL. That apparently made him worth £35m - flogging him for that much remains one of the few bits of good business Ashley ever did. Not that I wasn’t spitting feathers about it at the time.  Likes the high life a bit too much off the pitch. Allegedly 

5 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

even if he wasn't £35m was daylight robbery back then for a young player who had just half a good season in the PL. 

Disagree :lol: I mean you can say they paid slightly over the odds for an English, animal of a centre forward and probably thecountry's best prospect at the time but daylight robbery? 

Only with hindsight.

Edited by TheGingerQuiff

23 hours ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Disagree :lol: I mean you can say they paid slightly over the odds for an English, animal of a centre forward and probably thecountry's best prospect at the time but daylight robbery? 

Only with hindsight.

Disagree. That was a lot of wedge in 2011. A long time before transfer fees went ballistic - that amount wouldn’t even get you a Joelinton today.  Must have been a British record signing and one of the most expensive signings of all time - at that time.

All for a kid with half a good season in the top flight. I didn’t want him to go and was gutted when the news broke but it was massive money for an unproven player.

He'd have been worth every penny if Liverpool played to his strengths and kept him fit. He was mint. He'd banged them in the season before too. It was a record for a British player iirc. But then there wasn't many promising homegrown forwards around. Still isn't I suppose. 

My memories of this are;

1) Furious that we were selling our “best young prospect”, which he was at the time. 
2) Simultaneously chuckling because we’d clearly fleeced the Dippers. 
3) Fuck Ashley, and Pardew. 

I don’t think, at the time, or now, any of that was too wide of the mark. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

1 game 1 assist on Saturday. Stonewall penalty turned down too. 

ah right.

opta have only been doing their stuff for a couple of days, no wonder andy features so highly.

carroll is here for two reasons...

he cost fuck all.

he could be spun to the profoundly stupid as a returning local geordie hero.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Oh I've no doubt he was a cheap option. But he was also our best attacking threat on Saturday and looks our best chance of scoring up front. 

Just to clarify, are you saying he's crap? 

pretty much, aye.

he had a reasonable game on saturday and you appear to be beside yourself, i genuinely think you need to rein it in a bit and i'm not being patronising.

just out of interest, why do you think he was a free agent and there didn't appear to be a whole host of clubs queueing for his signature?