Andy Carroll....Local Hero! O̶r̶ ̶J̶u̶d̶a̶s̶?

Christmas Tree

Carroll  

61 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In my opinion Fat Freddy only sacked SBR to save his own bacon. The Wolves game at home was they day he thought he'd better take some action - albeit a few months later.

The only player we signed that season was Lee Bowyer on a free (I think). There was the all talk of "something rotten" in NUFC at that time. Many thought it was Shepherd, many thought it was the players like Dyer etc.

We bought Woodgate in the January, ahead of the summer and the summer budget to attempt to seal a top 4 finish and Champions League qualification,ie forward planning, good management. Which worked. This might not fit your "opinion" or any motive you have to beat anybody with a stick if you can find one, but nevertheless it is fact.

Some people don't like the truth.

Sorry but that is true.

Edited by LeazesMag

In my opinion Fat Freddy only sacked SBR to save his own bacon. The Wolves game at home was they day he thought he'd better take some action - albeit a few months later.

The only player we signed that season was Lee Bowyer on a free (I think). There was the all talk of "something rotten" in NUFC at that time. Many thought it was Shepherd, many thought it was the players like Dyer etc.

We bought Woodgate in the January, ahead of the summer and the summer budget to attempt to seal a top 4 finish and Champions League qualification,ie forward planning, good management. Which worked. This might not fit your "opinion" or any motive you have to beat anybody with a stick if you can find one, but nevertheless it is fact.

Sorry but that is true.

Didn't the club ship Marcelino and Gavilan out that same month? How much do you think that contributed to funding the Woodgate transfer?

We finished 7th and qualified for europe a year before Mike Ashley bought it.

Next.

You see if you actually recognised that that team was going nowhere and had actually only just escaped the threat of relegation with a decent amount of team spirit under a bloke the players liked then people could accept it.

To try and gloss over that season as some kind of staging post for improvement is delusion at its best - as we saw the next year all too well.

The season before Ashley bought it we finished 13th - or do we ignore that?

before Mike Ashley bought the club we were considered to be one of the top clubs in the country, and to qualify for europe, among players, sportswriters, the general public, and our own supporters, was expected. Borne out by the booing when we only finished 5th. Stick to the facts.

Now we think survival is "fine" and 10th is success, this is the words of the clubs 2nd in command. If we finish 13th now or next season, they will be ecstatic.

End of.

Look for another stick lad.

Sorry but that is true.

Didn't the club ship Marcelino and Gavilan out that same month? How much do you think that contributed to funding the Woodgate transfer?

Well, if your man buys 3 world class players this summer and funds it with the whole 35m for Carroll plus more, I'll accept what you say and admit he's been badly misunderstood these past 4 years.

Sweet FA or thereabouts. Would've freed up wages though.

Depends what their wages were. But if they were on 35k each and woody was on 50k, there's 20k p/w the clubs saving over the length of woody's contract, which is probably going towards paying for him. Not sure what the figures are like, but I doubt he was on more than those two combined.

Sorry but that is true.

Well, if your man buys 3 world class players this summer and funds it with the whole 35m for Carroll plus more, I'll accept what you say and admit he's been badly misunderstood these past 4 years.

Sorry how's that relevant to the point I made?

Guest alex
Sweet FA or thereabouts. Would've freed up wages though.

Depends what their wages were. But if they were on 35k each and woody was on 50k, there's 20k p/w the clubs saving over the length of woody's contract, which is probably going towards paying for him. Not sure what the figures are like, but I doubt he was on more than those two combined.

More than eaten up by the £8m fee for signing the player though. Not sure what your point is tbh.

Sorry but that is true.

Sorry how's that relevant to the point I made?

what's the point you are making ? We bought a top player, got in before the others, paid the money, and sold the club to him, didn't we ? :icon_lol:

Edited by LeazesMag

Sorry but that is true.

I'm not arguing with the Woodgate signing, more the point that there was heat from the stands and he sacked Robson to deflect the heat from him.

Sacking Robson a few games into a new season was hardly "forward planning" and "good management" though was it?

Anyway, I was just making a point about the selfishness of sacking of Robson rather than how good or bad shepherd performed. As I've mentioned before, I think overall he did a good. There is no denying he made a lot of mistakes though.

Guest alex

In any case Gavilan went on loan to South America so, assuming he was on £35k a week (for argument's sake) there's no way the South American club were paying even 50% of that. And (I think) Marcelino had his contract torn up by mutual consent because it only had 6 months to run. So I don't think there's much of the Woodgate transfer fee or wages to be found out of those two leaving the club.

Sorry but that is true.

I'm not arguing with the Woodgate signing, more the point that there was heat from the stands and he sacked Robson to deflect the heat from him.

Sacking Robson a few games into a new season was hardly "forward planning" and "good management" though was it?

Anyway, I was just making a point about the selfishness of sacking of Robson rather than how good or bad shepherd performed. As I've mentioned before, I think overall he did a good. There is no denying he made a lot of mistakes though.

hindsight is easy. If you are arguing about a matter of principle, then if you think they should have stuck with Robson then you should also think they should have stuck with Gullit and Dalglish.

Sorry but that is true.

hindsight is easy. If you are arguing about a matter of principle, then if you think they should have stuck with Robson then you should also think they should have stuck with Gullit and Dalglish.

I'm arguing/suggesting that he prevented the fans directing any anger at himself by sacking Robson.

The Gullit & Dalglish comments are just playing devils advocate I assume. Both were terrible managers and the damage they did to the team (mainly personnel) was irrecoverable.

To be fair though, a number of fans thought Bobby should "move upstairs" at the time. Easy to brush that under the carpet but its true. Then again we do have some moronic supporters (like all other clubs). I can remember seeing an associate of my Dads with a petition to get Keegan sacked (in his first stint). Unbelievable.

the champions league qualifications and european places say you are wrong, they are factual. And he never owned the club, the club was owned from 1992 - 2007 by the Halls and Shepherd. More facts.

Continue with your "opinions" if you must.

he was crap because while he was chairman, he squandered a position of strength. if it wasn't for his mistakes that i keep pointing out to you and you keep choosing to ignore (sacking managers days after transfer windows closed, sacking robson, appointing souness, roeder then allardyce etc) we might still be a top 6 cub.

i respect the fact that shepherd and sjh had ambition the current owner lacks. but shepherd's decision making as chairman was shocking. i blame him as much as the likes of souness for us not kicking on and cementing our position as a top club while we were up there. he had no courage in his own convictions. why else would he sack a man days after the transfer window closed and he'd backed them to the tune of many millions? that's not how to run a football club. if you want your manager out, you get rid of them in the summer and give the new guy a chance to put his own team together. and if you know anything about football, you don't appoint the likes of souness or roeder.

Shepherd never owned the club. I hope you have told Liverpool they should still be employing Woy, as well as not buying our best striker, aye thats the way to do it. Presumably on that basis, you would also have kept Gullit and not replaced him with Bobby Robson ? And Arsenal should not have sacked Bruce Rioch and replaced him with Wenger ? There are so many flaws in your "opinion" [any stick to beat Fred with] its untrue.

Next.

so basically, you've ignored every point put to you yet again. i give up mate. batton over to skidmark from here on in, to the delight no doubt of the rest of the board.

Next.

You see if you actually recognised that that team was going nowhere and had actually only just escaped the threat of relegation with a decent amount of team spirit under a bloke the players liked then people could accept it.

To try and gloss over that season as some kind of staging post for improvement is delusion at its best - as we saw the next year all too well.

before Mike Ashley bought the club we were considered to be one of the top clubs in the country, and to qualify for europe, among players, sportswriters, the general public, and our own supporters, was expected. Borne out by the booing when we only finished 5th. Stick to the facts.

Now we think survival is "fine" and 10th is success, this is the words of the clubs 2nd in command. If we finish 13th now or next season, they will be ecstatic.

End of.

As I said completely ignoring the final year and the state of the squad at the time.

Your mistake is in perception - you think we are/were seen as having arrived by the football world and everyone expected us to remain there forever. The truth is most football fans and certainly the media saw us a as a team who'd gone shit or bust, failed and had now dropped back down to where they think we should be.

Do you think fans of the "big four" honestly thought that with Roeder or Allardyce at the helm we were going to finsh anywhere? - especially as by then Chelsea had "arrived". Were Wenger or Feguson scared of Roeder?

Do you think we would have finished in the top 6 with Allardyce given that during the takeover summer we actually spent what would be classed by then as atypical "Shepherd" type spend?

When did your powers of foresight kick in about Ashley BTW? - was it only when he fucked up the Keegan thing beacuse before then his deicisons were indisinguishable from Shepherd's.

Next.

End of.

As I said completely ignoring the final year and the state of the squad at the time.

Your mistake is in perception - you think we are/were seen as having arrived by the football world and everyone expected us to remain there forever. The truth is most football fans and certainly the media saw us a as a team who'd gone shit or bust, failed and had now dropped back down to where they think we should be.

Do you think fans of the "big four" honestly thought that with Roeder or Allardyce at the helm we were going to finsh anywhere? - especially as by then Chelsea had "arrived". Were Wenger or Feguson scared of Roeder?

Do you think we would have finished in the top 6 with Allardyce given that during the takeover summer we actually spent what would be classed by then as atypical "Shepherd" type spend?

When did your powers of foresight kick in about Ashley BTW? - was it only when he fucked up the Keegan thing beacuse before then his deicisons were indisinguishable from Shepherd's.

I saw through Ashley almost straight away ie through comments by Mort, Allardyce. I posted them too. It was obvious.

The mistake you keep making, is you appear to think nobody else makes a below-par managerial appointment. Arsenal, before Wenger, appointed Bruce Rioch. Liverpool have had their share of duff managers. ManU did before Fergie, Chelsea also appointed a manager from within, twice, Vialli and Gullitt.

Hindsight is a great management tool mate - and I keep telling you that I'm not talking about managerial appointments etc which can also be quickly changed, they are not symptoms of long term decline, which are lowering of aims, the selling of top players instead of buying, making changes which result in a lower profile and a loss of income. Why don't you read ? Or are you just being an arsehole like OllieBurtonsGrandad said last night ?

Doh.

Edited by LeazesMag

why has this thread got like this ? NJS - I was discussing the principle of allowing a manager to manage, and YOU started harping on about Fat Fred, Luque and Speed.....why ?

Its because they want you to bite mate, same as in other threads. Some twat purposely dangles a carrot because they want you to go off topic so they can have a go. Its a shame as it was a decent thread, I just wish some cunts would stop playing silly fuckers.

it's leazesmag's obsession like. i don't see that many carrots being dangled. he actively goes looking to turn every thread into one of his "i was right about shepherd and ashley" rants. beyond tedious. we're all bored of it. it was only ashley's skidmark tbh who used to go actively out of his way to engage with leazesmag on the matter, hence why he was equally as unpopular poster. everyone else is sick of it. it's starting to spoil what is generally an excellent football forum.

the sad thing about leazesmag is i think he could be a good poster if he could just move on from this one subject. the rare post he makes about other football stuff can be well worth reading. it's just a shame the fred/ashley stuff makes up 99% of the stuff he posts on here. it's the same with the general chat and his obsession with islamists and asylum seekers.

what a shame it was NJS who started twisting a logical and reasonable discussion into mentioning Freddie Shepherd. As usual, you didn't notice and instantly pinned the blame on me. Which appears to be YOUR obsession. If someone actually says something so stupid or dumb, then its natural to reply. You do it too, you are doing it now ? What is it that you think you are so smart and different that you have different rules ? I think when you harp on like this you are an arsehole and ruining the forum, you're certainly now contributing along with NJS to ruin this particular thread.

Here:

who are you ?

I take it by that comment you are one of those tosspots who blame Shepherd when it rains outside ?

If not, what do you mean ?

Someone posts a reply to a post you made and all of a sudden he's an 'anti-Shepherd, pro-Ashley' "tosspot". That is the post that started the Shepherd discussion. It's the first post to mention, or even allude to (apart from your own two previous derailing attempts in this thread) Shepherd.

You started the conversation about Shepherd. I told you to shut the fuck up because it had nothing to do with the thread topic, in so many words. And fucking away you went. And here we are, 11 pages later and you have completely forgotten (ignored) the fact that you started the Shepherd discussion. Again. Like always. Because you're a miserable sod.

Could you please for the love of all that is holy give it a rest? You don't only 'reply' to posts about Shepherd. You insert him into every discussion so everyone can beat their head against a wall trying to convince you to shut up. I agree with others that you are an interesting poster when you're not banging on about Shepherd all the time. It's in the past. Yes our current Chairman is a cunt. Yes, Shepherd was better than Ashley in a lot of ways. But having this endless discussion about who was 'worse', because that's what it is. Is beyond boring. It's like arguing about, 'who's the smartest retard'. Who cares? They're retarded. Apoligies to the mentally challenged. End Rant.

Edited by toonotl

it's leazesmag's obsession like. i don't see that many carrots being dangled. he actively goes looking to turn every thread into one of his "i was right about shepherd and ashley" rants. beyond tedious. we're all bored of it. it was only ashley's skidmark tbh who used to go actively out of his way to engage with leazesmag on the matter, hence why he was equally as unpopular poster. everyone else is sick of it. it's starting to spoil what is generally an excellent football forum.

the sad thing about leazesmag is i think he could be a good poster if he could just move on from this one subject. the rare post he makes about other football stuff can be well worth reading. it's just a shame the fred/ashley stuff makes up 99% of the stuff he posts on here. it's the same with the general chat and his obsession with islamists and asylum seekers.

what a shame it was NJS who started twisting a logical and reasonable discussion into mentioning Freddie Shepherd. As usual, you didn't notice and instantly pinned the blame on me. Which appears to be YOUR obsession. If someone actually says something so stupid or dumb, then its natural to reply. You do it too, you are doing it now ? What is it that you think you are so smart and different that you have different rules ? I think when you harp on like this you are an arsehole and ruining the forum, you're certainly now contributing along with NJS to ruin this particular thread.

Here:

who are you ?

I take it by that comment you are one of those tosspots who blame Shepherd when it rains outside ?

If not, what do you mean ?

Someone posts a reply to a post you made and all of a sudden he's an 'anti-Shepherd, pro-Ashley' "tosspot". That is the post that started the Shepherd discussion. It's the first post to mention, or even allude to (apart from your own two previous derailing attempts in this thread) Shepherd.

You started the conversation about Shepherd. I told you to shut the fuck up because it had nothing to do with the thread topic, in so many words. And fucking away you went. And here we are, 11 pages later and you have completely forgotten (ignored) the fact that you started the Shepherd discussion. Again. Like always. Because you're a miserable sod.

Could you please for the love of all that is holy give it a rest? You don't only 'reply' to posts about Shepherd. You insert him into every discussion so everyone can beat their head against a wall trying to convince you to shut up. I agree with others that you are an interesting poster when you're not banging on about Shepherd all the time. It's in the past. Yes our current Chairman is a cunt. Yes, Shepherd was better than Ashley in a lot of ways. But having this endless discussion about who was 'worse', because that's what it is. Is beyond boring. It's like arguing about, 'who's the smartest retard'. Who cares? They're retarded. Apoligies to the mentally challenged. End Rant.

:lol:

and instead of telling me to shut up, fuck off and shut up yourself, because you can't tell me anything about the club when you know nothing.

must every thread on here descend into the same argument?? Is there some way of flagging these threads on the forum homepage so I know not to bother clicking on them?

This is neither meant to wind up Lazes or anybody else or to demonstrate me taking a position for/against either of the club's most recent hierarchies. It is a genuine question from someone who can't be bothered to re-read this all over again.

must every thread on here descend into the same argument?? Is there some way of flagging these threads on the forum homepage so I know not to bother clicking on them?

This is neither meant to wind up Lazes or anybody else or to demonstrate me taking a position for/against either of the club's most recent hierarchies. It is a genuine question from someone who can't be bothered to re-read this all over again.

I'm sorry mate but you know nothing. Leazes is the fifth best poster on here. In the last 4 years good posters like Leazes have gone and been replaced by inferior posters. This board has been dropping down the posting list for years now, who is to blame for this? Who is repsonsible for the loss of profile and the decline in interest? The lack of ambition of the current posters is there for all to see, in fact I pointed this out 4 years ago and the likes of you refused to admit that I was right and you were wrong.

I'm sorry mate but you know nothing. Leazes is the fifth best poster on here. In the last 4 years good posters like Leazes have gone and been replaced by inferior posters. This board has been dropping down the posting list for years now, who is to blame for this? Who is repsonsible for the loss of profile and the decline in interest? The lack of ambition of the current posters is there for all to see, in fact I pointed this out 4 years ago and the likes of you refused to admit that I was right and you were wrong.

I'm not claiming to know anything, if you re-read what I wrote I said I wasn't having a go at leazes. All I am saying is I would like some variety in the posts I read, not the same argument in 5 different threads, is that too much to ask?

I'm not claiming to know anything, if you re-read what I wrote I said I wasn't having a go at leazes. All I am saying is I would like some variety in the posts I read, not the same argument in 5 different threads, is that too much to ask?

Wooshed. :D

Leazes just has to be the bigger man and not bite when provoked. Saying that he lays his own bait. He has mentioned burkas and so forth in other threads in hope of an argument.

Its either muslims or shepherd. Nothing else. He'll come on here in a sec suggesting he does contribute to other threads but that might be about 1% of his posts compared to his normal inane circular arguments.

Wooshed. :D

Leazes just has to be the bigger man and not bite when provoked. Saying that he lays his own bait. He has mentioned burkas and so forth in other threads in hope of an argument.

Its either muslims or shepherd. Nothing else. He'll come on here in a sec suggesting he does contribute to other threads but that might be about 1% of his posts compared to his normal inane circular arguments.

I post a lot more than just about muslims and Shepherd, unfortunately, you notice these because they attract your attention because you think you know best.

I don't lay any "bait", I state facts, if I left personalities out of it when I respond to similar, you would agree with the facts, depending how intelligent you are that is.

Give me the facts instead of personalities, and there is no debate to be had.

So. Again. For the benefit of angrysteve and anyone else.

Is Andy Carroll a Judas or a local hero ?

Personally I think he isn't a Judas, he's ambitious so he went for career reasons and nobody can blame him for that when they would do the same, and he wasn't at NUFC long enough to achieve anything to be a local hero either.

He doesn't deserve the flak he's getting from ignorant stupid people I know that, but that is my opinion.