Andy Carroll....Local Hero! O̶r̶ ̶J̶u̶d̶a̶s̶?

Christmas Tree

Carroll  

61 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

negative because you accept inferiority. Didn't think you would get it. Have you actually been to a game lately ?

I'm fairly sure I've been to more games than you this year and I can comfortably say we have played better than in the Dalglish, Gullit, Souness, or Roeder years.

You probably know this but it would kill you to admit it.

I'm not responsible for anything, its part of the topic, you don't like the truth, despite saying you "respect others' opinions" ie facts. I think calling Carroll "Judas" makes us look like we accept inferiority, you don't. However, the content of this thread, including posts by yourself, indicate clearly that you DO accept inferiority.

'Accept' in what way? How can I improve the club other than being a fan? I 'accepted' inferiority under most of Shepherd's tenure as well don't forget. It's quite simple at the end of the day, I go to football to enjoy myself. If I don't, I should stop going. Something quite frankly I should have done when your man appointed Souness.

comments to gejon equally apply to you.

Shepherd would have sold Carroll ffs. Nearly every buisness man would have. The mistake though was not anticipating the market and buying back up. As it stands though, we may still finish in a higher place then under Shepherd for may years of his tenure, and it's been a fuck of a lot more exciting than most these years too.

So are you going to answer why you still go to football matches when you clearly don't enjoy it or not then?

A very comparable situation there was when he turned down reported bids of £15-£20m for Dyer. I wouldn't be so sure that he'd sell him. They knew Woodgate was fucked, so you can't use that as an example as well.

Shepherd would have sold Carroll ffs. Nearly every buisness man would have. The mistake though was not anticipating the market and buying back up. As it stands though, we may still finish in a higher place then under Shepherd for may years of his tenure, and it's been a fuck of a lot more exciting than most these years too.

So are you going to answer why you still go to football matches when you clearly don't enjoy it or not then?

he, personally, would have sold Carroll, but would they have allowed his manager to make the decision, like they did when Keegan sold Cole ?

Whats wrong with you, why don't you get this ? Are you really a smart lad or an idiot who can't see the blatantly obvious ?

How many people went to games when we were playing in europe and didn't enjoy it, insisting anybody would be better, that have now stopped because the next person, wasn't at all better ?

I've paid for my next 3 years, have you ? I've said a few weeks ago why I did it, but another part of the reason is that I hope we become an ambitious club again instead of a selling club. See Renton, this is what I mean when I talk about the days before the Halls and Shepherd, I can talk about it, and I can clearly see the difference and recognise the symptons of a club in decline, because I've seen it before. Of course, if you don't want to listen to me and learn, its your problem.

I'm not responsible for anything, its part of the topic, you don't like the truth, despite saying you "respect others' opinions" ie facts. I think calling Carroll "Judas" makes us look like we accept inferiority, you don't. However, the content of this thread, including posts by yourself, indicate clearly that you DO accept inferiority.

'Accept' in what way? How can I improve the club other than being a fan? I 'accepted' inferiority under most of Shepherd's tenure as well don't forget. It's quite simple at the end of the day, I go to football to enjoy myself. If I don't, I should stop going. Something quite frankly I should have done when your man appointed Souness.

inferior to who ? By the way, Shepherd never owned the club, it was owned by the Halls and Shepherd from 1992 until 2007.

A very comparable situation there was when he turned down reported bids of £15-£20m for Dyer. I wouldn't be so sure that he'd sell him. They knew Woodgate was fucked, so you can't use that as an example as well.

He's quoted as having said it though Stevie. The deal was too good to turn down - £35 million for Carroll - madness. Not having a replacement though was fucking stupid. That was a gamble that could have turned out very bad. As it is a half decent striker could have got us another 10 points I reckon. And this is regardless of the Carroll situation as he had a medium term injury anyway.

negative because you accept inferiority. Didn't think you would get it. Have you actually been to a game lately ?

I'm fairly sure I've been to more games than you this year and I can comfortably say we have played better than in the Dalglish, Gullit, Souness, or Roeder years.

Well, if we had reached the FA Cup Final even once, quarter final of the UEFA Cup or finished 7th in the league, you may have a case.

A club in decline is vastly different to a temporary blip in league positions. See previous post.

Where do you think we will finish next season ? See, I think that Ameobi is our nr 1 striker, and I will be massively surprised if he still isn't exactly that in August again. At the most we will buy another sub standard player to play alongside him to replace Carroll, so don't bother telling me that the current season in any way compares with how Dalglish and Gullit were allowed to run the football club and players.

As I lived in Scarborough for 20-odd years it is highly possible quite a few people have seen more away games than me, yes, as every home game has been effectively like an away game in terms of travelling, cost, time off work etc, but lets face it, its been a period where supporting the team has been worthwhile and for the most part, rewarding.

Edited by LeazesMag

he, personally, would have sold Carroll, but would they have allowed his manager to make the decision, like they did when Keegan sold Cole ?

Whats wrong with you, why don't you get this ? Are you really a smart lad or an idiot who can't see the blatantly obvious ?

How many people went to games when we were playing in europe and didn't enjoy it, insisting anybody would be better, that have now stopped because the next person, wasn't at all better ?

I've paid for my next 3 years, have you ? I've said a few weeks ago why I did it, but another part of the reason is that I hope we become an ambitious club again instead of a selling club. See Renton, this is what I mean when I talk about the days before the Halls and Shepherd, I can talk about it, and I can clearly see the difference and recognise the symptons of a club in decline, because I've seen it before. Of course, if you don't want to listen to me and learn, its your problem.

I think your being naive, the chairman would have simply vetoed anything the manager had said (because what manager would have wanted to sell?). Anyway, I personally believe it was the right decision. If you disagree, fine, we disagree.

Football has changed completely since the 1980s Leazes, there's no point in drawing comparisions before the premiership even existed. The likes of Chelsea and Man city have completely fucked football in this country. We can't compete unless we get our own mega-rich backer - something I can't see happening. I'm realistic about the future but that doesn't stop me enjoying the present.

He's quoted as having said it though Stevie. The deal was too good to turn down - £35 million for Carroll - madness. Not having a replacement though was fucking stupid. That was a gamble that could have turned out very bad. As it is a half decent striker could have got us another 10 points I reckon. And this is regardless of the Carroll situation as he had a medium term injury anyway.

They also said the money for Beardsley and Gazza was too good to turn down too, and tosspots believed it and took it in, numbnuts. As i said, see previous post. Listen and learn.

I think your being naive, the chairman would have simply vetoed anything the manager had said (because what manager would have wanted to sell?). Anyway, I personally believe it was the right decision. If you disagree, fine, we disagree.

Football has changed completely since the 1980s Leazes, there's no point in drawing comparisions before the premiership even existed. The likes of Chelsea and Man city have completely fucked football in this country. We can't compete unless we get our own mega-rich backer - something I can't see happening. I'm realistic about the future but that doesn't stop me enjoying the present.

fuck me, here we go again. You mention 2 clubs, what about the rest ? Shame people didn't enjoy finishing 5th in the league and playing in europe, yes ?

Can't say I remember any forecasts of economic disaster either, when the club was 8th-14th in the football rich list.

Edited by LeazesMag

inferior to who ? By the way, Shepherd never owned the club, it was owned by the Halls and Shepherd from 1992 until 2007.

1 club in 97, 12 clubs in 98, 12 clubs in 99, 10 clubs in 00,10 clubs in 01, 3 clubs in 02, 2 clubs in 03, 4 clubs in 04, 13 clubs in 05, 6 clubs in 06 and 12 clubs in 07.

5 years out 11 we surpassed Ashley's unambitious target - in 6 we did not.

Well, if we had reached the FA Cup Final even once, quarter final of the UEFA Cup or finished 7th in the league, you may have a case.

A club in decline is vastly different to a temporary blip in league positions. See previous post.

Where do you think we will finish next season ? See, I think that Ameobi is our nr 1 striker, and I will be massively surprised if he still isn't exactly that in August again. At the most we will buy another sub standard player to play alongside him to replace Carroll, so don't bother telling me that the current season in any way compares with how Dalglish and Gullit were allowed to run the football club and players.

As I lived in Scarborough for 20-odd years it is highly possible quite a few people have seen more away games than me, yes, as every home game has been effectively like an away game in terms of travelling, cost, time off work etc, but lets face it, its been a period where supporting the team has been worthwhile and for the most part, rewarding.

Need to go in a moment, but yes, I am very concerned about next year. It hasn't happened yet though so I think it's a case of wait and see. If we weaken the squad (or even fail to strengthen) I will definitely be more in line with your way of thinking. In any event, believe it or not, I want Ashley out as soon as it's feasible. Haven't got a clue who could replace him though.

I thought that was just paper rumours and never confirmed.

Shepherd did say he would have accepted the bid for Carroll though.

Notice how he says "I" would have done the same, not "we" :icon_lol:

indeed, its a personal view.

Of the person who was employed to make such a decision - a bit more relevant than yours or mine.

fuck me, here we go again. You mention 2 clubs, what about the rest ? Shame people didn't enjoy finishing 5th in the league and playing in europe, yes ?

Can't say I remember any forecasts of economic disaster either, when the club was 8th-14th in the football rich list.

Those two clubs have had a massively negative influence on the transfer market and players wages though. It's a knock on effect meaning it is virtually impossible for us to get back to where we were pre-Ahbromovic days.

Edited by Renton

At the end of the day, as per the thread, Carroll moved to Liverpool for career reasons, so he isn't a "Judas", most people would do exactly the same. As football supporters, we should be asking why he saw Liverpool as a more attractive proposition and target our disappointment at those responsible, even more so if they forced him out, so lets have no more of any other nonsense and accept the truth.

Notice how he says "I" would have done the same, not "we" :icon_lol:

indeed, its a personal view.

Of the person who was employed to make such a decision - a bit more relevant than yours or mine.

the manager ? Yes I agree, shame he wasn't consulted.

Fair play, I knew that, but my brain is working very slowly today, hungover, well slower than normal forgot about his comment. It's easy for him to say things like that in hindsight.

1 club in 97, 12 clubs in 98, 12 clubs in 99, 10 clubs in 00,10 clubs in 01, 3 clubs in 02, 2 clubs in 03, 4 clubs in 04, 13 clubs in 05, 6 clubs in 06 and 12 clubs in 07.

anybody but the Halls and Shepherd then :icon_lol:

Fair play, I knew that, but my brain is working very slowly today, hungover, well slower than normal forgot about his comment. It's easy for him to say things like that in hindsight.

Don't worry, mine is working just as slowly (or probably slower) :icon_lol:

anybody but the Halls and Shepherd then :icon_lol:

Didn't say that - just pointing out that those years weren't as good as you make out - I enjoyed that period (at least until Souness) as much as anyone but if you want to beat Ashley with the the "top 10 every year" stick you have to expect it being pointed out that if Shepherd had stated that as his target he would have failed. Since his stated target was higher than that he failed more.

Realistic targets no matter how painful are more achievable then pie in the sky bravado which is what you want since you can't actually suggest any method of changing the picture.

To be fair the small group who bait him (and the worst is no longer with us) are easily in the same ball park.

He no doubt loves it, any excuse to wheel out the same old lines.

aye, next season is gonna be just greeeeaaaat

Putting all the usual shite to one side, what performance on the field next season would convince you we were heading in the right direction. Simple question.

Leazes :icon_lol: