Andy Carroll....Local Hero! O̶r̶ ̶J̶u̶d̶a̶s̶?

Christmas Tree

Carroll  

61 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Without wanting a slanging match a bit of friendly advice. Unfortunately this is the point where the debate usually declines into tedium, when a perfectly valid question is asked and isn't answered with anything relevant. If you're going to be opinionated on the subject and take it into every thread, try to give sensible answers to sensible questions instead of trying to 'ridicule' anything that you can't answer, because it just makes yourself look ridiculous, not the person asking the question.

Guest Your Name Here
You are the one who doesn't get it!

I'm talking about Newcastle fans enjoying newcastle united.

If Leazes is forever going to gauge his enjoyment based on six or so years out of the last 70, then as others have said, he would be better taking up carpet bowls.

Virtually all football fans have to continually adjust their expectations depending on many various factors. That's why 44,000 can still have a good time in the championship.

That's why fans turn up at Sheffield, Leeds and Norwich.

If you can't look forward to a game / season....what's the point?

Everyone on this forum would love a one way progression to the top but that's unrealistic and not what football is about.

Your expectations / enjoyment must be geared to your current circumstances.

That's why an honest answer from Leazes about next season would be telling.

I tell you what I enjoyed this season and last, watching a local lad with a big future banging in the goals for his hometown club. At a time when NUFC’s identity is being eroded it was good to see a positive connection between club and place on the pitch. Far more enjoyable than watching Shola and Lovenkrands terrorise defences with their unique brand of erratic first touch and powder puff finishing.

That post by NJS is the most clueless post I've EVER read, and by fuck, thats saying something.

Name one long term decision of benefit to the club other than the ground expansion - if I'm so clueless it should be easy.

Also no comment on the average position over Shepherd's tenure.

You laud a BS artist who said 'We're going to finish top 4 every year" but who actually finishes 8th or 9th on average.

Is that what's it's all about? - as long as someone says "we're fucking great and we're Liverpool's rivals" but who doesn't deliver that on a consistent basis it somehow makes you feel good about yourself and the club?

As CT says there are millions of football fans who just hope for the best and still enjoy their football - they might have an idea about where they fit in the scheme of things and where they'd like to finish and sometimes that's unrealistic but to actually imply that if we aren't competing for the league we may as not bother is a load of shit. In fact its worse because apart from one year in anyone's living memory we never have done that.

I think we're better than 8th or 9th in the league - bit of a shame we couldn't prove it over 10 years eh?

Guest Your Name Here
That post by NJS is the most clueless post I've EVER read, and by fuck, thats saying something.

Name one long term decision of benefit to the club other than the ground expansion - if I'm so clueless it should be easy.

You laud a BS artist who said 'We're going to finish top 4 every year" but who actually finishes 8th or 9th on average.

Is that what's it's all about? - as long as someone says "we're fucking great and we're Liverpool's rivals" but who doesn't deliver that on a consistent basis it somehow makes you feel good about yourself and the club?

As CT says there are millions of football fans who just hope for the best and still enjoy their football - they might have an idea about where they fit in the scheme of things and where they'd like to finish and sometimes that's unrealistic but to actually imply that if we aren't competing for the league we may as not bother is a load of shit. In fact its worse because apart from one year in anyone's living memory we never have done that.

I think we're better than 8th or 9th in the league - bit of a shame we couldn't prove it over 10 years eh?

The point is the current regime isn’t even trying to compete. Their stated long term objective is not to finish lower than tenth. The last lot backed up their words with actions. It might not have panned out as planned but you can’t accuse a regime that broke the world transfer record to bring one of Europe’s best strikers to SJP of bullshitting about thier ambition.

Would you say signing Shearer was a good long term decision?

Where and when did they state that finishing higher than 10th was their long term objective?

In a statement when the accounts were released, "10th or above year on year" I believe was the quote.

Guest Your Name Here

Let’s turn this tired debate around.

Back in January 1991 NUFC were a struggling second division team. They were broke and half the ground consisted of crumbling concrete terracing. What should the incoming chairman have done to ensure the club weren’t allegedly up shit creek without a paddle sixteen years later? What should the buisness plan have been and how should it have been funded?

"allegedly"!?

You're sounding like a Shepherd apologist.

"They said the object was to finish tenth or higher, which when you remove the trademark ambiguity translates as 'not lower than tenth'."

No, you're choosing to read it as that. It's not a fact that this regime have said that, like you said.

Honestly, I can't stand the current regime and the jaded, cynical and somewhat negative persona some have attached to me on here (regardless of whether I was being serious or not) is more or less down to them and what has happened since Ashley bought the club.

But I couldn't stand the previous regime towards the end either, and whilst they were the lesser of two evils, I really think some people allow them too much respect purely because of what they had done early on as opposed to what ended up happening.

Edited by Tecato

Guest Your Name Here
"allegedly"!?

"They said the object was to finish tenth or higher, which when you remove the trademark ambiguity translates as 'not lower than tenth'."

No, you're choosing to read it as that. It's not a fact that this regime have said that, like you said.

Honestly, I can't stand the current regime and the jaded, cynical and somewhat negative persona some have attached to me on here (regardless of whether I was being serious or not) is more or less down to them and what has happened since Ashley bought the club.

But I couldn't stand the previous regime towards the end either, and whilst they were the lesser of two evils, I really think some people allow them too much respect purely because of what they had done early on as opposed to what ended up happening.

I’m choosing to ignore the meaningless fluff.

I used the term allegedly as there those amongst us who don’t buy into idea the club was up shit creek without a paddle but it’s an issue that’s been debated at length and not worth going over again. However, there are many on here who highly critical of SHJ/FF and it would be interesting to find out how they think the club should have been run between 1991 and 2007.

"allegedly"!?

I’m choosing to ignore the meaningless fluff.

I used the term allegedly as there those amongst us who don’t buy into idea the club was up shit creek without a paddle but it’s an issue that’s been debated at length and not worth going over again. However, there are many on here who highly critical of SHJ/FF and it would be interesting to find out how they think the club should have been run between 1991 and 2007.

Interestingly those "in that camp", never produce any substantive evidence to repudiate the contrary evidence produced by twats like me.

If we're using the "lesser of two evils" phrase, I can't agree with Tecato that the previous regime were the lesser of the two, Ashley's final chapters are yet to be written, so we don't know yet. BUT I firmly believe he was an absolutely necessary evil.

Am open to being persuaded otherwise, but no-one's done it yet.

LLAMBIAS IRKED BY CARROLL ABUSE

Posted 07/05/11 12:55

Newcastle managing director Derek Llambias has hit out at the travelling fans who abused former striker Andy Carroll at Liverpool last weekend.

The Gateshead-born England international, who made a £35million January move from St James' Park to Anfield, was barracked by Magpies supporters still angry at his defection following his introduction as a second-half substitute.

Writing in his programme notes ahead of Saturday afternoon's Barclays Premier League clash with Birmingham, Llambias said: "I was disappointed with the very negative treatment some of our supporters gave our former number nine Andy Carroll.

"Andy faced a barrage of insults from a section of fans in the stadium which he most certainly did not deserve.

"The abuse he received was difficult to stomach after everything Andy brought to our club, and I only hope he didn't pay too much attention to the taunts being directed at him from the stands.

"To go from hero to villain simply for moving clubs, which is just part and parcel of football, is beyond me.

"As we all know, Andy came up through the Academy and played a pivotal role for this football club whilst he was here.

"His goals, coupled with his attitude and his popularity in the dressing room, were integral to everything we achieved last season in gaining promotion back to the Premier League, and it was fitting that he ended the campaign as our top scorer.

"Andy is a Geordie lad and a lifelong Newcastle United supporter. He worked his socks off for this football club over the years, eventually reaching the ultimate goal in landing the much-coveted number nine shirt.

"The 11 goals he scored for us this season have helped stabilise the club in the Premier League. Andy should be applauded for the great things he helped us achieve at Newcastle.

"I speak for everyone at the club when I say he will always be welcomed back at St James' Park with open arms.

"Andy has moved on now, amicably, to pastures new. The club received a British record transfer fee for Andy, which was the eighth highest in history.

"We wish him well and I am sure he will go on to fulfil his great potential with the England team over the coming years."

Just read this for the first time and it smacks of a man feeling a modicum of guilt that a player who clearly didn't want to leave but who was persuaded to as 'it makes good sense' has received abuse for seeming to be a greedy bastard.

Why not just come out and admit you pushed the transfer Dekka, not Carroll?! God I fucking hate these cunts running the club.... :icon_lol:

He may as well have just posted this bit the four eyed wanker:

The club received a British record transfer fee for Andy, which was the eighth highest in history.

We told Liverpool to offer us £35m and they could have Andy Carroll

...is probably more accurate.

that last post you made, the one referred to, is the most staggering, breathtaking comment I've ever read on any football message board about the Halls and Shepherd.

Do you honestly, honestly want to know, looking at the state the club was in, back in 1991, what decisions they made which were for the long term good of the club.

I have hardly stopped laughing which is why I haven't been back until now. Even the dipshits on skunkers and NO have NEVER came out with such a comment.

By the way, over the 15 years, the club had the 5th highest average position, only 4 clubs had higher, the same 4 clubs are the only ones who qualifed more for europe, get it the average position was the 5th highest . How many times does this need to be said. Only 4 clubs had a higher average position, this makes us the club with the 5th highest league position

On top of that, when they took over, the club had one foot in the 3rd division, the stadium was a cowshed, the club couldn't float on the stock exchange for 2.5m quid, and you are asking what decisions were made for the long term future and benefit to the club.

Fuck me. :icon_lol::blush::rolleyes:

its so ridiculous its impossible to laugh.

Why do you think we are on the same levels as Bolton and Blackburn ?

I'll give you a clue Renton, when the Halls and Shepherd found the club, we were competing at the levels of clubs like Shrewsbury and Plymouth.

The question isn't about the circumstances of when the Halls took over, but about when they left. If the club was so financially stable and well set up, why did they cut and run?

I don't think a single person on here would deny btw that they did an excellent job in the early years. Problem is though that the World has changed. To be successful now you have to have massive global appeal and very deep pockets, and it's nigh on impossible to make a personal profit like the Halls and Shepherd did for so many years (at great detriment to the club in the last few years). Essentially, neither family were big enough players, and they sussed this out a lot qucker than you have (if you ever will).

like talking to the wall here. The point was about them making good decisions for the long term future of the football club, on and off the pitch, while they were in charge . What does that have to do with decisions made once they aren't owners any more ? Sometimes Renton, you stagger me, for someone with so much self proclaimed intelligence as you, this is as dumb as it gets mate.

I should have known you would disagree with me, even at the expense of agreeing with the breathtaking comment by NJS

"what did they do for the long term future of the club"....oh my God. :icon_lol:

Without wanting a slanging match a bit of friendly advice. Unfortunately this is the point where the debate usually declines into tedium, when a perfectly valid question is asked and isn't answered with anything relevant. If you're going to be opinionated on the subject and take it into every thread, try to give sensible answers to sensible questions instead of trying to 'ridicule' anything that you can't answer, because it just makes yourself look ridiculous, not the person asking the question.

anybody who asks what the Halls and Shepherd did that was good for the long term future of the club, just doesn't deserve anything but scorn.

Mad. Wants locking up. It only shows how little they understand and what some people like myself are up against.

that last post you made, the one referred to, is the most staggering, breathtaking comment I've ever read on any football message board about the Halls and Shepherd.

Do you honestly, honestly want to know, looking at the state the club was in, back in 1991, what decisions they made which were for the long term good of the club.

I have hardly stopped laughing which is why I haven't been back until now. Even the dipshits on skunkers and NO have NEVER came out with such a comment.

By the way, over the 15 years, the club had the 5th highest average position, only 4 clubs had higher, the same 4 clubs are the only ones who qualifed more for europe, get it the average position was the 5th highest . How many times does this need to be said. Only 4 clubs had a higher average position, this makes us the club with the 5th highest league position

On top of that, when they took over, the club had one foot in the 3rd division, the stadium was a cowshed, the club couldn't float on the stock exchange for 2.5m quid, and you are asking what decisions were made for the long term future and benefit to the club.

Yes they improved the club from 91 with the ground expansion but you still havem't named one business decision taken for the long term apart from that.

I don't give a shit about your maths about other clubs - the fact is for the majority of Shepherd's tenure we failed to finish in the top 10. The names above us might change but given the so called ambition it's still a failure on that basis.

The point is the current regime isn’t even trying to compete. Their stated long term objective is not to finish lower than tenth. The last lot backed up their words with actions. It might not have panned out as planned but you can’t accuse a regime that broke the world transfer record to bring one of Europe’s best strikers to SJP of bullshitting about thier ambition.

Would you say signing Shearer was a good long term decision?

he, and the clueless heads in the sand actually appearing to support him, obviously prefer scouting around the local schools looking for the next Shola, if they can't see a simple point like that.

Incredible.

Yes they improved the club from 91 with the ground expansion but you still havem't named one business decision taken for the long term apart from that.

I don't give a shit about your maths about other clubs - the fact is for the majority of Shepherd's tenure we failed to finish in the top 10. The names above us might change but given the so called ambition it's still a failure on that basis.

5th highest in the country over 15 years. Fact. Only 4 clubs did better and had a higher overall average league position.

Have you worked out what they did in their 15 years for the good of the club on and off the pitch yet ?

Fucking hell.... :) :)

5th highest in the country over 15 years. Fact. Only 4 clubs did better and had a higher overall average league position.

Have you worked out what they did in their 15 years for the good of the club on and off the pitch yet ?

Fucking hell.... :icon_lol::blush:

It's only a fact by that method. By absolute league position the average under Shephed was 9.4, Obviously If Norwich finished above us one year and then fucked off we'd have a higher average compared to them over the period but the absolute average remains 9.4

Off the pitch apart from the ground they did nothing.

On the pitch every decision was short term - signing players for the length of their contracts and sacking managers who are on long contracts is not long term business improvement - its short-termism at its worst.

If you want to say that building a team makes good players more likey to sign there's some truth in it - unfortunately that doesn't work anymore because players just go for the money forst of all.

It's only a fact by that method. By absolute league position the average under Shephed was 9.4, Obviously If Norwich finished above us one year and then fucked off we'd have a higher average compared to them over the period but the absolute average remains 9.4

On the pitch every decision was short term - signing players for the length of their contracts and sacking managers who are on long contracts is not long term business improvement - its short-termism at its worst.

If you want to say that building a team makes good players more likey to sign there's some truth in it - unfortunately that doesn't work anymore because players just go for the money forst of all.

:)

BTW, average position was 5th highest, however you look at it. Show me the 8 clubs that did better, if you want to say it was 9th highest.

How fucking desperate are you to beat them with any stick you can find man. Give yourself a shake. "Off the pitch they did nothing". :rolleyes::)

:)

BTW, average position was 5th highest, however you look at it. Show me the 8 clubs that did better, if you want to say it was 9th highest.

How fucking desperate are you to beat them with any stick you can find man. Give yourself a shake. "Off the pitch they did nothing". :rolleyes::)

"however you look at it" - add the postion we finished with Shepherd as chairman and divide by years = 94/10 = 9.4

Again you don't understand absolute position versus club comparison - you're using the figure which suits your argument and I'm using the one that suits mine. The thing is the vaunted "top 10 every year" statement which you hate doesn't mention clubs names so the method has to be mine.

Name something they did off the pitch - just one - should be easy.