Andy Carroll....Local Hero! O̶r̶ ̶J̶u̶d̶a̶s̶?

Christmas Tree

Carroll  

61 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

He’s always been good at what he does. Problem is he can’t do it for more than 3-4 games before his body breaks down. I’d be amazed if he Survives January without picking up an injury. 

38 minutes ago, thebrokendoll said:

pretty much, aye.

he had a reasonable game on saturday and you appear to be beside yourself, i genuinely think you need to rein it in a bit and i'm not being patronising.

just out of interest, why do you think he was a free agent and there didn't appear to be a whole host of clubs queueing for his signature?

Cos he was injury prone. He said in an interview recently that a bodged surgery which blighted his career was rectified recently however, so hopefully we will get a couple of seasons out of him.

Andy Carroll is the best in the league at what he does. We don't play to his strengths though. Not sure why Almiron isn't closer to him, playing on the shoulder of the last man and gambling on every flick on. Aye its route one stuff, but it worked wonders for Shearer and Bellamy. 

Carroll, we learn, felt an injustice. It is easy to understand why as he begins an exasperated recount of the ankle injury that plagued him for two years.

'This is ridiculous,' he warns. 'I had one operation and the screws came loose. Unheard of. The next one, the fracture opened again because the screws still weren't tight enough. So I went to a new surgeon. This time the screws were bigger but they realised the ankle ligaments were frayed on the outside. It had never been spotted, for two years!

At 30 years of age, Carroll wants to pick up where he left off when he left eight years ago
'My last game at West Ham I played with a broken ankle. I'd been told it was fine. I was in so much pain and thought, "I just can't do this any more".'

Somehow, Carroll finds the will to laugh.

'I should have gone to Wickes and got a big bag of screws before those consultations! But the latest surgeon was excellent. He repaired everything. That's nine months and no problems.'

His last 3 big injuries at West Ham were all the same ankle. He's not injured it again since she surgery. Time will tell but hopefully it's sorted 

1 hour ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Cos he was injury prone. He said in an interview recently that a bodged surgery which blighted his career was rectified recently however, so hopefully we will get a couple of seasons out of him.

Andy Carroll is the best in the league at what he does. We don't play to his strengths though. Not sure why Almiron isn't closer to him, playing on the shoulder of the last man and gambling on every flick on. Aye its route one stuff, but it worked wonders for Shearer and Bellamy. 

honestly mate, not even in my most wildest imaginations can i see how it's possible to compare carroll/almiron to shearer/bellamy, or the football currently being played under bruce being comparable to that of the team robson had finishing 4th, 3rd and 5th.

i apologise if i've taken that last paragraph out of context.

2 hours ago, Tom said:

Carroll's easily been one of our best players this season tbh. Not saying much but aye..

I don’t think we play particularly to his strengths either. He looks decent because we hoof it a lot and he wins more than his share. But he’s often isolated so little comes of it. He’s still managed three assists and he’s only really been close to full fitness the last few games. Joelinton isn’t a great partner for him because he seems to want to take up similar positions. Gayle is probably the closest thing we have to a decent foil for him but his touch and finishing just aren’t really up to it in this division. And when we do get the ball wide the crossing has left a lot to be desired. Ditto a lot of our set pieces. 

2 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Almiron looks more comfortable playing a bit deeper (or wider). Obviously that doesn’t stop him making those sorts of runs occasionally but I don’t see him as that sort of player. In the PL anyway. 

• 1 month later...
59 minutes ago, Tdansmith said:

Carroll's pay deal is unbelievable 

bruce says "Andy has been dealt a cruel hand.."  £1.2 millions worth 

https://www.themag.co.uk/2020/02/andy-carroll-pay-deal-at-newcastle-united-made-public-report/

There’s literally no such thing as pay as you play in the modern game and there has been for decades. It’s just some bollocks fed to the fans when a player with a poor injury record is signed on a free 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

For the money he’s on it was worth a punt. Although it’s madness if they extend his deal 

I tend to agree but with the caveat it was incredibly predictable how it would play out  and only a club as lacking in ambition as ours would even take that punt at this stage in his career

11 hours ago, Tdansmith said:

Carroll's pay deal is unbelievable 

bruce says "Andy has been dealt a cruel hand.."  £1.2 millions worth 

https://www.themag.co.uk/2020/02/andy-carroll-pay-deal-at-newcastle-united-made-public-report/

£95k pw if he’s starting games? I call bullshit. Shelvey is our top earner on £80k pw

It doesn’t seem beyond the realms of belief to me.

I’m just amazed that that with all the massive investment in our training and medical facilities that we haven’t been the ones to succeed where Liverpool and West Ham have failed.

• Haha 1

Considering no transfer fee it's possible also and not too shockingly bad.

We have 4 strikers on the books. It wouldn't be so bad if the other 3 were performing. I'd be happy to let Gayle and Muto leave in the summer and be replaced with decent, non injury prone strikers or even just one striker that shows £40mil quality.

55 minutes ago, t00nraider2 said:

Considering no transfer fee it's possible also and not too shockingly bad.

We have 4 strikers on the books. It wouldn't be so bad if the other 3 were performing. I'd be happy to let Gayle and Muto leave in the summer and be replaced with decent, non injury prone strikers or even just one striker that shows £40mil quality.

BD05FD5A-E49E-4009-8448-71AF0B90A537.gif

• Haha 4
  • Jaysus... 1

• 1 month later...