Connor Wickham

KeithJ

Reports in the Daily Mail saying Pardew hopes to entice Connor Wickham to Newcastle United by using his connections with the lad. Ipswich on the other hand want £10mil for him. Fair enough he is young however he hasnt exactly been banging in the goals in the championship and he could be another David Nugent.

I think £10mil is insane for what the lad is! A raw, relatively untested kid in the top flight!

Edited by KeithJ

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really haven't seen enough of the lad - to make an honest judgement on his ability/potential.

Although he is dubbed the new Shearer on Football Manager. :lol:

Saw him score a screamer at SJP when he wasnt even 17 last season, what a great strike, down wor end. Looked the business, and David Blunkett could see the potential on the boy just looking at this goal...

I still can't believe we didn't try to sign him after the 2-2 at the end of last season. Aside from him giving our backline a handful, he tracked back all game and was probably their best defender as well.

Sadly I think we might have missed the boat and the price is now beyond what we will be willing to pay- but yes I'd pay £10m for him.

Depends on how much we're spending in total. If that's a big chunk of our kitty (which I expect to be the case) then possibly too much of a risk. We need proven players as well as ones with potential.

Ditch the bid now, everytime in football manager someone is dubbed the new.... it never happens and they disappear. :lol:

I get what everyone is saying about him having potential however two other players we bought from Ipswich had potential. mr Dyer and Mr Bramble.

Considering our transfer budget is a reported £20mil, to blow half of it on an unproven kid would be something else!

Guest alex
Ditch the bid now, everytime in football manager someone is dubbed the new.... it never happens and they disappear. :lol:

I get what everyone is saying about him having potential however two other players we bought from Ipswich had potential. mr Dyer and Mr Bramble.

Considering our transfer budget is a reported £20mil, to blow half of it on an unproven kid would be something else!

If we spend less than £10m on a 'proven' striker then we might as well not bother.

If we spend less than £10m on a 'proven' striker then we might as well not bother.

Even spending more than £10mil on a "Proven" striker doesnt work. Alves for the Boro was a prime example of that. Even spending £8mil of a relatively proven striker didnt work for Arsenal in the shape of Jeffers!

Probably the best we will get in our wage bracket. We will have to take risks as proven cost too much to pay so for me its a yes, give him a shot and if it backfires then its bad luck but for people expecting us to buy proven I don't understand. One season in the championship is probably more suited than one in the dutch leagues

Guest alex

Even spending more than £10mil on a "Proven" striker doesnt work. Alves for the Boro was a prime example of that. Even spending £8mil of a relatively proven striker didnt work for Arsenal in the shape of Jeffers!

Or £6m on Bellamy. We could keep on going but none of those examples prove anything in relation to this kid. My point is though, I'd rather spend £10m on him than a similar fee on Bothroyd or a bit more on Carlton fucking Cole. I suspect there's nowt to this story anyway though.

People love rewriting history like. If he's half as good as Dyer was at his peak he's worth it.

Or £6m on Bellamy. We could keep on going but none of those examples prove anything in relation to this kid. My point is though, I'd rather spend £10m on him than a similar fee on Bothroyd or a bit more on Carlton fucking Cole. I suspect there's nowt to this story anyway though.

If you are saying we would pay more for Carlton Cole this lad must be dogshit. If a striker is proven as being shit surely that doesn't put his price up because he is in fact proven in some way

People love rewriting history like. If he's half as good as Dyer was at his peak he's worth it.

would rather chuck in a £10m bid for sturridge, then when we get told to fuck off look at this lad.

would rather chuck in a £10m bid for sturridge, then when we get told to fuck off look at this lad.

Well with the Jose money, that should be near £45m, we should try and get both of them. THREE strikers are the priority not one.

Guest alex

If you are saying we would pay more for Carlton Cole this lad must be dogshit. If a striker is proven as being shit surely that doesn't put his price up because he is in fact proven in some way

I could see figures in excess of £10m being quoted for Cole. I don't rate him though as I thought would've been clear from my previous post. He was just a player I picked on as we've been linked with him in the recent past. Again though, the hypothetical figures bandied around for the likes of him and Bothroyd have no bearing on Wickham's ability as a player. I agree with Stevie on Dyer too.

The twenty or so appearances peak? Injury peak? or when he scored a record 5 goals in one season peak?

Although to be fair to you he did do well in the 02-03 season however didnt chip in with enough goals for my liking. Still one season doesnt really make it in my books!

The twenty or so appearances peak? Injury peak? or when he scored a record 5 goals in one season peak?

Although to be fair to you he did do well in the 02-03 season however didnt chip in with enough goals for my liking. Still one season doesnt really make it in my books!

He was largely excellent when fit from 99 to 2004. 01/02 he was unplayable, he put one of the best shows in I've seen off a toon player in a 3-1 home win against Leeds. Are you a young lad? Shouldn't ask that with paulwyn sharking about like.

Well with the Jose money, that should be near £45m, we should try and get both of them. THREE strikers are the priority not one.

Two new strikers of sufficient quality is enough I reckon. Bumping Shola down to third rung will do wonders for his motivation which will hopefully translate to more effort when he's on the pitch. As it is he couldn't give two hoots as no matter how bad he plays he'll be in the first 11 if he's fit. On top of that Ben Arfa or Nolan will likely see some time playing behind one striker. Lovenkrands is at his level as a late sub, and Ranger should be loaned out. Leon Best is not good but sounds as though he's useful on the training pitch.

Guest alex

Two strikers minimum I'd say. And I'd much rather keep Ranger and use him as an impact player and get rid of Lovenkrands. I think Best has shown himself to be more useful than the latter of those too (although I don't think he's good enough either). In fact, tbf to Best, he's shown himself to more useful than Ranger too (at present at least).

Edited by alex

I could see figures in excess of £10m being quoted for Cole. I don't rate him though as I thought would've been clear from my previous post. He was just a player I picked on as we've been linked with him in the recent past. Again though, the hypothetical figures bandied around for the likes of him and Bothroyd have no bearing on Wickham's ability as a player. I agree with Stevie on Dyer too.

That wasn't a dig at you mate, just a dig at the popular belief that carlton cole is a good striker when he clearly is not. the lad scored 2 goals in a game for the first time in his professional career for the first time this season if I remember rightly and he must be about 28 now and is still classed as a promising youngster. My point was, if cole is worth £10m then Whickham is worth £20m + imho

Guest alex

Ah right, got you now GF. Cole looked a good player when he started coming through the ranks at Chelsea and I think he's still living off that tbh. I think I'd rather stick with what we have than get him in (even if he was cheap, which he probably wouldn't be anyway).

Edited by alex

No chance that kid wickham is worth £10m yet, he didn't even make a double figure tally.

£6m max on potential and the fact he's young and English which bumps it up a bit.

What is the value of a player though Ant? He's just turned 18 and has scored 15 senior goals. 15 more than Carroll at that age, 12 more than Shearer at that age. I've watched him for England U18s as well, if this kid doesn't make it then something is wrong, he's the real deal, big lad too. Worst case scenario is he's shite and we sell him for 6s to a Villa/Wigan type club.

Not forgetting Mr Ambrose.

No chance that kid wickham is worth £10m yet, he didn't even make a double figure tally.

£6m max on potential and the fact he's young and English which bumps it up a bit.

What is the value of a player though Ant? He's just turned 18 and has scored 15 senior goals. 15 more than Carroll at that age, 12 more than Shearer at that age. I've watched him for England U18s as well, if this kid doesn't make it then something is wrong, he's the real deal, big lad too. Worst case scenario is he's shite and we sell him for 6s to a Villa/Wigan type club.

I am with ya and think he is worth a decent punt. if you could only buy players you could guarantee would be phenomenal it would cost an absolute fortune. Plus, it is extremley satisfying if you by a yougun that kicks on and plays for country etc even if we do just sell him when he's 22 for £35m